Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

i'm waiting for the fox racing shocks to come out. If they are using the same shocks on the new Raptor for the Warthog i may wait for those instead. I believe those are the live valve shocks which are super sweet but also very expensive
How do you plan to connect the live shocks to a Bronco that does not have live shocks? There is a computer connection required for the live shocks.

CDawg297!

Badlands
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you plan to connect the live shocks to a Bronco that does not have live shocks? There is a computer connection required for the live shocks.
to be honest I figured you could hook them up the same way the other shocks but I guess that's not the case. Sounds like its a more complicated system then I thought

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

to be honest I figured you could hook them up the same way the other shocks but I guess that's not the case. Sounds like its a more complicated system then I thought
If your vehicle has factory live shocks going to aftermarket live shocks is plug and play. If it doesn't have factory live shocks I am not sure if it could be done or the cost. My Raptor is a 2018 the last year of non-live shocks. I can't use the 2019-up Raptor live shocks. The aftermarket live shocks for the 2019-up Raptors start at about $9k for a set.

CDawg297!

Badlands
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your vehicle has factory live shocks going to aftermarket live shocks is plug and play. If it doesn't have factory live shocks I am not sure if it could be done or the cost. My Raptor is a 2018 the last year of non-live shocks. I can't use the 2019-up Raptor live shocks. The aftermarket live shocks for the 2019-up Raptors start at about $9k for a set.
yeah thats what i was noticing online looking at fox. They are freaking sweet like i said but look really complicated to install or even work with.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One thing to remember about shocks. If you are a low speed rock crawler type guy, high end shocks like this are irrelevant.

Driving around on the street puts more stress on shocks than driving around slowly off road does.

Rock crawling requires very little of 1) power 2) brakes 3) shocks. The speeds are low, the energy to be managed is tiny compared even to driving vigorously on the street.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The way the title of this thread is worded makes me think of a King Kong like Bronco. Kickin the shit outta Godzilla maybe... sorry for the interruption.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One thing to remember about shocks. If you are a low speed rock crawler type guy, high end shocks like this are irrelevant.

Driving around on the street puts more stress on shocks than driving around slowly off road does.

Rock crawling requires very little of 1) power 2) brakes 3) shocks. The speeds are low, the energy to be managed is tiny compared even to driving vigorously on the street.
For optimum performance, it is very important that shocks be tuned for the usage case and weight of your vehicle build. Outside of those who compete / race their vehicle, very few will get their shocks re/valved or tuned to optimize performance. Thus, many will buy and install very high end shocks, and not get the most out of them. For some though, being better than stock, and looking great is enough to make them happy with their purchase.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Don't forget .. the Bronco OEM shocks are sealed as in NOT re-buildable. When they are done you throw them away.

Because OEM Raptor fox shocks are re-buildable, there is a huge use market for them.

The Kings are re-buildable. I am sure many other companies will offer re-buildable options.

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you are not going to the desert or hitting jumps you dont need these shocks, simple as that.

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
For optimum performance, it is very important that shocks be tuned for the usage case and weight of your vehicle build. Outside of those who compete / race their vehicle, very few will get their shocks re/valved or tuned to optimize performance. Thus, many will buy and install very high end shocks, and not get the most out of them. For some though, being better than stock, and looking great is enough to make them happy with their purchase.
I agree with everything you said.

But its more than that. A car/truck driving 75 mph the suspension is being moved forcefully very quickly. This puts a lot of energy into the shocks. Energy that needs to be dissipated as heat. Shocks can fade as oil thins. Shocks can lose damping almost completely if the oil foams.

You can have 2 sets of shocks that are tuned identically. One is cheap. One is more robust with a design that avoids overheating and foaming and maybe even compensates for heat.

Rock crawling you will not experience any problems with the cheap shocks because as long as they are valved correctly, they will perform to spec.

In a desert or even aggressive street environment, the cheap shocks may foam or fade and there will be a noticeable difference between the two as the cheap shocks lose their damping ability.

My STi had dampers that were well matched to the car and the spring rates. On the road it performed great. On a track, the dampers overheated, so by lap 5 the suspension was working noticeably less well than on lap 1. If I was to replace the shocks, I'd want new shocks that were valved identically to the OEM shocks, but more fade resistant.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think you meant to say >> If you are NOT going to the desert or hitting jumps you don't need these shocks, simple as that.

If you are going to the desert or hitting jumps you dont need these shocks, simple as that.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't forget .. the Bronco OEM shocks are sealed as in NOT re-buildable. When they are done you throw them away.
are you referring to the hitachi shocks for the lower trims or the bilstein's stock badlands etc?
Sponsored