First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
The way the title of this thread is worded makes me think of a King Kong like Bronco. Kickin the shit outta Godzilla maybe... sorry for the interruption.
I read it as Burger King Shocks and got super excited to see these Whoppers
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with everything you said.

But its more than that. A car/truck driving 75 mph the suspension is being moved forcefully very quickly. This puts a lot of energy into the shocks. Energy that needs to be dissipated as heat. Shocks can fade as oil thins. Shocks can lose damping almost completely if the oil foams.

You can have 2 sets of shocks that are tuned identically. One is cheap. One is more robust with a design that avoids overheating and foaming and maybe even compensates for heat.

Rock crawling you will not experience any problems with the cheap shocks because as long as they are valved correctly, they will perform to spec.

In a desert or even aggressive street environment, the cheap shocks may foam or fade and there will be a noticeable difference between the two as the cheap shocks lose their damping ability.

My STi had dampers that were well matched to the car and the spring rates. On the road it performed great. On a track, the dampers overheated, so by lap 5 the suspension was working noticeably less well than on lap 1. If I was to replace the shocks, I'd want new shocks that were valved identically to the OEM shocks, but more fade resistant.
The Badlands and Sasquatch shocks have reservoirs. Obviously, none of us has had any long-term seat time in these Broncos, but from the videos, people's demo rides at KOH, etc., it seems a safe bet that the stock HOSS shocks are more than up to the task of heavy off-road desert running and all Bronco shocks are more than capable for daily driver use.

elbroncodor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tacoma w/ long travel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, like more than 1,000 miles at a time. 😄
Shock fade doesnt mean the vehicle cant go 1000 miles, but it does mean it will start to degrade under heavy usage. Finishing the NORRA1000 was an achievement, and the HOSS shocks are impressive, but lets not pretend they're the greatest for every application or couldn't be improved upon in the aftermarket.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Badlands and Sasquatch shocks have reservoirs. Obviously, none of us has had any long-term seat time in these Broncos, but from the videos, people's demo rides at KOH, etc., it seems a safe bet that the stock HOSS shocks are more than up to the task of heavy off-road desert running and all Bronco shocks are more than capable for daily driver use.
I agree completely. I think that these trucks are more than capable of meeting or exceeding the needs of 95% of its buyers. Stock. But people, myself included, get pleasure from buying more capability than they will ever need.

Lets face it. After looking at some YouTube videos of the Bronco SPORT badlands, I'm convinced that that model would probably meet most people's actual needs better than the "real" bronco. But many, like me, don't want a bronco based on an Escape. Even if it makes more sense. Ha.

I was reminded of this this winter when I took my wife's Volvo wagon off road this winter with the high profile snow tires on it. The extra clearance we got from the 70 series tires made a huge difference.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing to remember about shocks. If you are a low speed rock crawler type guy, high end shocks like this are irrelevant.

Driving around on the street puts more stress on shocks than driving around slowly off road does.

Rock crawling requires very little of 1) power 2) brakes 3) shocks. The speeds are low, the energy to be managed is tiny compared even to driving vigorously on the street.
Not necessarily true. You’ll get more travel with a set of coilovers like this as compared to a spacer lift and re-using the stock HOSS suspension. Also, you can get shocks pretty darn hot rock crawling if you’re doing a lot of flexing back and forth on the longer trails. Used to wheel Uwharrie in a Jeep TJ before my Power Wagon and the Bilstein 5100s would get hot to the touch at the end of each trail from the constant compression/rebound from flexing on the trail. It’s not desert running, but still. I hope Fox Racing comes out with an aftermarket set of coilovers 😎

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Shock fade doesnt mean the vehicle cant go 1000 miles, but it does mean it will start to degrade under heavy usage. Finishing the NORA1000 was an achievement, and the HOSS shocks are impressive, but lets not pretend they're the greatest for every application or couldn't be improved upon in the aftermarket.
I'm definitely not saying that. But I am supporting what @rkj__ said most people are buying these for the theoretical capability and the looks and don't really need them. Which is fine. But one should not try to make the stock shocks seem less capable just to justify the purchase of an upgrade. :)

The 1%ers will need something like this upgraded shock. The rest won't even know they're having to "make do" with the stock suspension. 😄

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lets face it. After looking at some YouTube videos of the Bronco SPORT badlands, I'm convinced that that model would probably meet most people's actual needs better than the "real" bronco. But many, like me, don't want a bronco based on an Escape. Even if it makes more sense. Ha.
That same thought has crossed my mind as well. "Holy crap, that Sport Badlands can do a lot!" It went up Hell's Gate in Moab--I would not have thought that possible, at least in stock form. It sure is a good thing we already have an Escape so I can justify not getting a Sport because "It's basically the same thing" ;)

I agree completely. I think that these trucks are more than capable of meeting or exceeding the needs of 95% of its buyers. Stock. But people, myself included, get pleasure from buying more capability than they will ever need.
Also, good on you for being the 1-in-a-million people actually willing to admit that you know you're buying more than you need. (y) Hearing people try to justify stuff they know they'll never need makes me wonder if a salesman is that good or if they are that easy to sell to. 😄

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not just a race thing, a tuning thing, like tire air pressure, center of mass...

I have had 4 suspensions on my 4x4. Currently with Kings adjustable extended, external resis, increased spring rate for winch and plate front bumper, rear 23 gal aux tank.
Depending on how heavily loaded, trail conditions and how fast I need to go, I will get out and make adjustments to limit bottoming, firm up the ride or soften it, change up the rear to front ratio of compression.

Certainly not for everyone, and I will see how far we can push the HOSS set-up before considering a replacement.