Sponsored

How good OR Bad, will the base Bronco be off-road without Sas and lockers?

cyberbro

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

• Banned
How good OR Bad, will the base Bronco be off-road without Sas and lockers?
I don't have the money I did last year when thinking to get a new Truck and now thinking to get a base, base. I'm sure Ford will have some system to brake a wheel from spinning and with open diffs send power to the opposite wheel but would a system like that be anything more then a Ridgeline off-road ? I also think getting a locker in the back would be serious cash later down the road?

My Reservation is a first night and would hate to give up on it now.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

lvgambler

Base
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf TDI, F250 Crew 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your right, things can add up very quickly. Don't get stuck in all the hype. Base, base is still going to be a blast but know it's limitations. It's not going to be a rock crawler, however, it's still an excellent 4WD. Plus, you can start adding mods as you get the cash: tires, lift, bumpers, and yes even lockers if you want. The aftermarket is going to be huge for the Bronco, you'll have lots of choices (some that even keep the warranty). You can grow the capability over time and not have all of your $$$ sunk in a monthly payment.

OP
OP
cyberbro

cyberbro

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

• Banned
Your right, things can add up very quickly. Don't get stuck in all the hype. Base, base is still going to be a blast but know it's limitations. It's not going to be a rock crawler, however, it's still an excellent 4WD. Plus, you can start adding mods as you get the cash: tires, lift, bumpers, and yes even lockers if you want. The aftermarket is going to be huge for the Bronco, you'll have lots of choices (some that even keep the warranty). You can grow the capability over time and not have all of your $$$ sunk in a monthly payment.
I really wish they just let me get the $750.00 rear locker, that was a very annoying move in my mind and left Jeep with a little to work with on the bottom end. Thanks for the encouragement, I don't have any plans for rock crawling and the 4wd would properly be fine but I'm the guy that thinks what if lol

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your right, things can add up very quickly. Don't get stuck in all the hype. Base, the base is still going to be a blast but know its limitations. It's not going to be a rock crawler, however, it's still an excellent 4WD. Plus, you can start adding mods as you get the cash: tires, lift, bumpers, and yes even lockers if you want. The aftermarket is going to be huge for the Bronco, you'll have lots of choices (some that even keep the warranty). You can grow the capability over time and not have all of your $$$ sunk in a monthly payment.
Reality is setting in for me and I'm probably going to have to start heading back into the office three days a week soon. I was one of those who sold their home close to work when Covid hit last year and moved 3 hours away because I only have 2 1/2 years left before retirement. I just calculated 22,000 miles a year average putting on my new Bronco starting this summer, so by the time I retire it will have around 50,000 miles on it, for a 2 1/2-year-old vehicle.

I'm thinking I will tell my dealership to put me on the waiting list for a 2022 model base carbonized grey (drop my badlands with all the sins) and order my Model Y for the commute for the next two and half years. It will be an experience to build up a base and I'm sure I will learn a lot, and it will be fun doing it.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It will be alot like the 4x4s most of us offroaders cut our teeth on. Sure high end upgrade will cost a bit down the road. But what about adding a limited slip or lunchbox locker. Do it yourself and you can get under $500 for a days work and plenty of traction. Add a 2"spacer lift and squeeze some cheap 35s on there and you will have Bronco that performs 95% as well as a squatch. But I think left stock or even just adding some MTs it would be about as good as a 90s bronco, similar weights and sizes. If thats the case it should be good enough to have fun in.

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did the type of wheeling in the Pacific NW, so not much rock crawling. Back then in 2000, I have a Grand Cherokee (WJ) w/ QuadraDrive which is not a true locker, but it's capable to transfer 100% of the torque to 1 wheel or 50% when the center diff is locked, but the I was wheeling with a large 4x4 group with 4x4 from many diff. manufactures aside from Jeep. There were, Pathfinder, 4 Runner, Tacoma, Suzuki, etc..! IMHO, lockers are good to have, but I think have some decent ground clearance and 4L is sufficient for many type of wheeling condition. You just have to learn it's limitation, improve you skills, then upgrade as needed later. This place is in Canada we called this the V Rock, I used to hit this trail few times a year.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I threw a 2" leveling kit and 35" tires on my LSD rear/open front F-150 and had a ball in Moab. Only had to get pulled 4 times by my son's Jeep. Go out and enjoy the Base!

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm expecting DayStar to have a spacer & body lift combo to allow 35s. After that, 4L and a winch will let you do more than what most people will attempt.

The Badlands and Sasquatch package make doing those things much easier. The tech stuff on the automatic makes a few things easier than a manual transmission equipped Bronco.

I'm getting a manual transmission Badlands because I can afford to. I would get a base+squatch if I could live with an automatic. If the base Base was a necessary financial decision, then I would enjoy it and build it up more looks at first; spacer and 35s. Personally, I would try to hustle the extra cash to get a Base Squatch... that might kick you to MY22, though.

As I've grown older and busier, I try and get my vehicles as close to how I want them off the showroom floor.

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So bad. This would be the equivalent of a unibody CUV, but with worse interior dimensions, MPG, crashworthiness, towing capacity, cargo capacity, reliability, value, practicality, interior materials quality, interior color schemes, cup holder count, NVH, outward visibility, and driving range on a full tank.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Send it! There will be a multitude of ways to get a rear locker later if you decide you need one. Basesquatch is a great value but certainly not required for casual wheeling.

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think itll do just fine. It has decent enough suspension travel and modern traction control is amazing. We did Hells Gate, Hells Revenge, Top of the World, and Poison spider in an almost stock GX460. The bronco's traction control and driver assist features will have 10 years of advancements over the GX and it did very very well out there.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love all of the optimism here, but not sure it's realistic to think a base Bronco can do much off road beyond light, dry trails that are relatively flat.

That said, the purpose of the base isn't to "do any off road", The base is a platform to build.

I see in the thread the mention of a winch, etc. A decent winch costs money and requires a plate and a steel bumper and the OP said he doesn't have the money (bless you and a prayer for a turn around of your fortunes)

Here's the thing; off roading is relative to perspective. I know some guys who don't think you're doing anything unless you're out west in Johnson Valley or Baja, whereas to me, that's extreme.

If you just want to go wheel to a campsite (when dry), there's only a few upgrades necessary to that base Bronco and none are cosmetic to make one's sack look bigger.

Upgrading those terrible base level tires to a true off road rubber set up will instantly improve your traction. As long as you stay off the rocks, you should be fine. Small rocks are ok, but nothing serious, remember there are no sliders under the base.

If you want, you can upgrade the wheels also and go up a size or two. 35s are not necessary, but 33s are within reach and will be very capable on a 17" wheel when you air down.

No matter what you do, you WILL need to invest in recovery gear. A shovel, straps (tow and kinetic), bow shackles are cheap, a bottle jack, fire extinguisher, cheap tool set and bag, GMRS radio, first aid kit) All in, this is likely $600, but money spent that can save your life and yes your life is worth $600 and much more, so buy this shit now, bit by bit.

In a couple of years when the OP is back on his feet, he can build up that base into whatever type of rig he wants. Lockers can be added, steal bumpers also, armor, a winch, bigger tires, a lifted quality off road suspension set up can all come later and in phases.

Start from the ground up with suspension before bigger tires and wheels, then continue until you're happy.
Sponsored