Sponsored

2023 Ranger Raptor 3.0L EB V6 Confirmed - Hello Warthog!

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Looks like this all but confirms the 3.0L EcoBoost V6 will be in the Warthog. Further, this opens the door for the 3.0L EcoBoost V6 to be offered as and optional engine on the rest of the Bronco's.

Next-Gen Ford Ranger Raptor To Feature 3.0L EcoBoost V6: Exclusive
Since it was released in 2019, the Ford Ranger Raptor has offered supremely capable off-road capability. The current model is powered by Fordā€™s 2.0L EcoBlue four-cylinder bi-turbo diesel engine making 210 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque, in the typical bottom-heavy diesel fashion. The Blue Oval is looking to improve on that formula: the next-gen, 2023 Ranger Raptor will be powered by the twin-turbo 3.0L EcoBoost V6 gasoline engine mated to the automakerā€™s 10-speed automatic transmission, Ford Authority has learned from sources familiar with the matter.

That same twin-turbo 3.0L EcoBoost V6 is currently used in The Blue Ovalā€™s CD6 platform crossovers, including variants of the Ford Explorer (King Ranch, Platinum, ST) and the base Lincoln Aviator.
The most powerful application of the engine is the Explorer ST, where the motor is rated at 400 horsepower and 415 pound-feet of torque.

Ford Bronco 2023 Ranger Raptor 3.0L EB V6 Confirmed - Hello Warthog! Ford-Ranger-Raptor-005-1024x677

The current Ford Ranger family rides on the T6 platform. The next-gen model will ride on an evolved version of the same architecture. The curren-gen Ranger Raptor requires roughly 10 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 60 miles per hour, while the Explorer ST accomplishes the same feat in around 5.2 seconds. With the deeper-breathing EcoBoost motor, itā€™s a good bet that acceleration figures for the 2023 Ford Ranger Raptor will fall somewhere between the two.

Other than the much more potent powertrain, expect the next-gen Ford Ranger Raptor ā€“ currently in development with heavy input from Ford Australia ā€“ to feature a similar array of Baja-bred suspension and chassis upgrades, including a FOX shock setup and a coil spring rear suspension.

Unlike the current model, the new Raptor variant is expected to be a global offering, with availability being expanded to North America. In fact, left-hand drive prototypes have been spotted testing Dearborn. The next-gen model should go on sale in late 2022 as a 2023 model year vehicle.

Weā€™ll have more on the next-gen Ford Ranger Raptor soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for the latest Ford Ranger Raptor news, Ford Ranger news and continuous Ford news coverage.
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I doubt the 3.0 will be an option for the Bronco. If Ford allowed it to be an option then why would anyone bother to get the warthog?

Also, the Raptors 3.5 HO engine which came out in 2017 was only an option on the F150 limited in 2019 & 2020. It was not an option on any other trim.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3063

the 10sec 0-60 time for the Ranger is BS, maybe in Denver on 87oct.
mid 7sec is reality and 6sec with the Ford tune.

Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the 10sec 0-60 time for the Ranger is BS, maybe in Denver on 87oct.
mid 7sec is reality and 6sec with the Ford tune.
Ranger Raptor. Diesel engine.

https://www.evo.co.uk/in-depth-revi...hing-pickup-finally-comes-to-blighty/page/0/1

Performance and 0-60mph time
The Ranger Raptor might look similar to the twin-turbo V6-engined F-150 Raptor that has been a sensation in the United States over the last few years, but unfortunately the Rangerā€™s powertrain is a little less generous.

Standard on all Ranger Raptors is the same 2-litre biturbo four-cylinder diesel engine as is found elsewhere in the Ranger range. Its on-paper performance figures fail to impress, with a 0-62mph time of 10.5sec meaning the Raptor is no sprinter (for reference, Americaā€™s F-150 Raptor can reach 60mph in little more than half the time), while the 106mph top speed would be more impressive on loose surfaces than on the autobahn.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

InB4whydoesitcomewitha10r60 šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Does the Explorer ST use the 10R60 with 415lbft of torque? That may soothe some fears around here. Actually no nevermind it probably won't.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does the Explorer ST use the 10R60 with 415lbft of torque? That may soothe some fears around here. Actually no nevermind it probably won't.
Yes, and tuners are making 535ft/lbs at the wheels. Everybody panic!

Ford Bronco 2023 Ranger Raptor 3.0L EB V6 Confirmed - Hello Warthog! 1620651340577

Sponsored

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes it does, and youā€™re probably right.

The reaction still seems to be ā€œbut itā€™s a stupid explorer transmission! I want a real truck transmissions!ā€

Deleted member 3063

Ranger Raptor. Diesel engine.

https://www.evo.co.uk/in-depth-revi...hing-pickup-finally-comes-to-blighty/page/0/1

Performance and 0-60mph time
The Ranger Raptor might look similar to the twin-turbo V6-engined F-150 Raptor that has been a sensation in the United States over the last few years, but unfortunately the Rangerā€™s powertrain is a little less generous.

Standard on all Ranger Raptors is the same 2-litre biturbo four-cylinder diesel engine as is found elsewhere in the Ranger range. Its on-paper performance figures fail to impress, with a 0-62mph time of 10.5sec meaning the Raptor is no sprinter (for reference, Americaā€™s F-150 Raptor can reach 60mph in little more than half the time), while the 106mph top speed would be more impressive on loose surfaces than on the autobahn.
missed that. so we're comparing something that's definitely not available here to something that might be available.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, and tuners are making 535ft/lbs at the wheels. Everybody panic!

Ford Bronco 2023 Ranger Raptor 3.0L EB V6 Confirmed - Hello Warthog! 1620651340577
Anything will work right up until it breaks. I think few will be using their Bronco as a drag strip trailer queen and throwing the spark plugs away after every quarter-mile. It's reasonable to desire a bit of longevity out of an engine and transmission combination of around five to ten years.

I like 5Star, but did they release long term, in-depth oil analysis results? A video of a teardown of the 10r60 after 50,000 miles with that tune run on it?

Equating the durability of a transmission to how much HP and TQ it can handle on a dyno over a few months is an oversimplification. Might as well compare all firearms by caliber and say that a .50 caliber musket is better than a Glock 17.

I hope it holds up, but Ford isn't making anywhere near enough of a promise to give me the warm fuzzies. The effective range, for an area target, of an M16 is 800M but would I trust a standard issue, mass-produced version to get there with any effectiveness? No. Maybe if the area was a 3x3 grid of barn doors... maybe. ;)

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Anything will work right up until it breaks. I think few will be using their Bronco as a drag strip trailer queen and throwing the spark plugs away after every quarter-mile. It's reasonable to desire a bit of longevity out of an engine and transmission combination of around five to ten years.

I like 5Star, but did they release long term, in-depth oil analysis results? A video of a teardown of the 10r60 after 50,000 miles with that tune run on it?

Equating the durability of a transmission to how much HP and TQ it can handle on a dyno over a few months is an oversimplification. Might as well compare all firearms by caliber and say that a .50 caliber musket is better than a Glock 17.

I hope it holds up, but Ford isn't making anywhere near enough of a promise to give me the warm fuzzies. The effective range, for an area target, of an M16 is 800M but would I trust a standard issue, mass-produced version to get there with any effectiveness? No. Maybe if the area was a 3x3 grid of barn doors... maybe. ;)
I really don't get the obsession with tunes for an off-roader with the aerodynamics of a brick.

On the other hand I love NHRA drag racing with 12,000 HP and 330 mph at a 1,000 feet, then you throw the spark plugs away and tear down the engine every run.

Last edited:

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really don't get the obsession with tunes for an off-roader with the aerodynamics of a brick.

On the other hand I love NHRA drag racing with 12,000 HP and 330 mph at a 1,000 feet, then you throw the spark plugs away and tear down the engine ever run.
I'm probably going to give it a tune, but I want to drive it six months or so and a couple of trails first. The biggest draw is due to the engines being turbocharged and big gains from a tune are pretty cheap. I wouldn't bother if it came with the 5.0 #canofworms
Sponsored