Sam4wheeler

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Wildtrak Ordered
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
RT just posted these artist renders of what a 2020 Bronco SVT Raptor could look like.

What do you guys think? I like it but feel the Bronco should have its own unique front end styling.

2020 Bronco SVT Raptor.jpg

2020 Bronco SVT Raptor 1.jpg

2020 Bronco SVT Raptor 2.jpg

2020 Bronco SVT Raptor 3.jpg
Sponsored

FL Trucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I love the Raptor grille and would drive the hell out of a small pickup version but this seems a little pedestrian for what I'd like from the Bronco. Lose teh rounded fenders, take off the top and give it more of a trail ready look.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just want it to look old school!!

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just want it to look old school!!
I want a mix of old school + new school. This is just new school. Blend this with the Bronco6G rendering and it could be perfect.

Sponsored

Bronco Logic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 King Ranch, 96 White Sport, 76 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I want a mix of old school + new school. This is just new school. Blend this with the Bronco6G rendering and it could be perfect.
Agreed

SW Mikey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Ford Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think it's about time we see a convertible or pickup version. Something that puts the Wrangler on notice.

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think it's about time we see a convertible or pickup version. Something that puts the Wrangler on notice.
Reports are that the next Wrangler won't even have the full open top design anymore and that there'll be some kind of roof structure built in. If true, Ford would be smart to steal some sales by putting out a full removable roof version.

RSMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only Harley for now
That is more like a Grand Cherokee SRT competitor. I can't see anyone who wants a Wrangler seriously cross shopping this.

39Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Raptor, Mustangs - too many to list
Would rather see a new Bronco Stroppe or Parnelli Jones edition with a Raptor type suspension than a Bronco Raptor

The 'key' is the size of the new Bronco and whether or not it can eat into Jeep JK sales. A big Bronco is great but not what the market wants and the original 2-door is too small. I want to see the Bronco stay a 2-door because if I wanted a 4-door I'd just keep my Raptor or buy a 4-door truck. If Ford is only going to offer the eco-boost as the big engine then just leave it dead

Sponsored

Bronco Logic

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 King Ranch, 96 White Sport, 76 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford won't keep the Bronco a 2 door. It doesn't make any sense. They're already limiting the market by offering a vehicle thats sole purpose is its off road prowess and heritage, they're not looking to shoot themselves in the foot anymore than they already are. 2 door SUV's have failed or have drastically reduced in regards to sales; FJ, original Bronco/Pathfinder/4runner/Blazer (big & small)/Explorer, and even the Lightning, Tremor, SS trucks. Take your Raptor for instance, you think they'd sell any if it was just a single cab? Doubtful. Case in point, even the 2 door JK's have reduced in sales. And I contend, Chrysler only sells those based on its heritage/name plate for those select few purists out there. Not to mention the 4 door profits easily soak up the lack of 2 door sales. Just look at the statistics...

Jeep Wrangler Sales. In 2007 they introduced the 4-door. 40k more units sold because of that introduction. You could argue a new generation was introduced but you could also argue it was due to the increase in number of doors. ;) Sales only saw a decline during the Great Recession and even then, they were only reduced to previous TJ numbers.

1997 81.956
1998 83.861
1999 89.174
2000 82.254
2001 68.830
2002 64.351
2003 70.093
2004 77.550
2005 79.017
2006 80.271
2007 119.243
2008 84.615
2009 82.044
2010 94.310
2011 122.460
2012 141.669
2013 155.502
2014 175.328
2015 202.702

Do we really think Ford is not minding this info...? Thats the whole reason they've decided to enter this market. In a way, we all should be proud of Jeep sales because it forced Ford to not let them become a monopoly in the segment. If Jeep sales were stagnant or even stable, we certainly would not see the Bronco reemergence. Its taken Jeep sales to soar for Ford to reconsider this area.

In terms of the ecoboost power plant, if you haven't driven an ecoboost yet, you might. I felt the same way until I drove a couple. Although I'm a V8 fan, I think I'm more of a fan of anything with forced induction. This coming from a guy who owns several fullsize Bronco's...all with V8's both big and small and several vehicles with newer power plants. The ecoboost offers plenty of power and torque for the platform that's considered. My wife has the 2.0 ecoboost in her escape and that thing will blow the doors off other suv's in the size category.

My opinion is they'll offer a 3rd door or extended cab type feature to the Bronco similar the last gen FJ's at first, then they'll introduce a four-door. This is a simple marketing strategy. They know, they'll have an intense crowd of die hards right out of the gate for sale. Then in the next generation or a few years down the line, they'll look to add another value feature that will reinvigorate the public. I've always liked the size and features of the FJ's. Perhaps more so than the Jeep. I'm not totally sure why they failed but I have a hunch. It could have been the lower hp ratings, terrible blind spots, or more importantly the lack of a removable top. So with that being said, the Bronco only needs a few things to be marketable to the masses in my humble opinion and they're listed in order of significance: (P.S., I want more than these personally, but these will be what they NEED for it to sell)

1. Removable top (without this=immediate failure)
2. 4x4 (solid axle is debatable at this point. An IFS may still sell. Didn't stop the big bronco for 16 years, nor the 1/2 ton series)
3. Classic design mixed with modern features and comforts

Of course, there is a slew of other things they can implement to really make the Bronco unique and proprietary to itself but the above aspects will be the deciding factors in my humble opinion, as to whether it will be accepted into the market.

A few other ideas that may be options or customer add-ons that would drive customization, thus, drive profits.

1. Solid axle (this would be standard if they decided)
2. Select-able lockers (probably a just a rear but definitely a customer option)
3. Soft top/hard top configurations
4. Suspension off road pkg (customer option)
5. Winch (customer option)
6. Roof rack (customer option)

Then they'll have the rest of the normal options that aren't exclusive to the Bronco...interior material, sound pkgs, trim models, etc.

Last edited:

Swervey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Ford won't keep the Bronco a 2 door. It doesn't make any sense. They're already limiting the market by offering a vehicle thats sole purpose is its off road prowess and heritage, they're not looking to shoot themselves in the foot anymore than they already are. 2 door SUV's have failed or have drastically reduced in regards to sales; FJ, original Bronco/Pathfinder/4runner/Blazer (big & small)/Explorer, and even the Lightning, Tremor, SS trucks. Take your Raptor for instance, you think they'd sell any if it was just a single cab? Doubtful. Case in point, even the 2 door JK's have reduced in sales. And I contend, Chrysler only sells those based on its heritage/name plate for those select few purists out there. Not to mention the 4 door profits easily soak up the lack of 2 door sales. Just look at the statistics...

Jeep Wrangler Sales. In 2007 they introduced the 4-door. 40k more units sold because of that introduction. You could argue a new generation was introduced but you could also argue it was due to the increase in number of doors. ;) Sales only saw a decline during the Great Recession and even then, they were only reduced to previous TJ numbers.

1997 81.956
1998 83.861
1999 89.174
2000 82.254
2001 68.830
2002 64.351
2003 70.093
2004 77.550
2005 79.017
2006 80.271
2007 119.243
2008 84.615
2009 82.044
2010 94.310
2011 122.460
2012 141.669
2013 155.502
2014 175.328
2015 202.702

Do we really think Ford is not minding this info...? Thats the whole reason they've decided to enter this market. In a way, we all should be proud of Jeep sales because it forced Ford to not let them become a monopoly in the segment. If Jeep sales were stagnant or even stable, we certainly would not see the Bronco reemergence. Its taken Jeep sales to soar for Ford to reconsider this area.

In terms of the ecoboost power plant, if you haven't driven an ecoboost yet, you might. I felt the same way until I drove a couple. Although I'm a V8 fan, I think I'm more of a fan of anything with forced induction. This coming from a guy who owns several fullsize Bronco's...all with V8's both big and small and several vehicles with newer power plants. The ecoboost offers plenty of power and torque for the platform that's considered. My wife has the 2.0 ecoboost in her escape and that thing will blow the doors off other suv's in the size category.

My opinion is they'll offer a 3rd door or extended cab type feature to the Bronco similar the last gen FJ's at first, then they'll introduce a four-door. This is a simple marketing strategy. They know, they'll have an intense crowd of die hards right out of the gate for sale. Then in the next generation or a few years down the line, they'll look to add another value feature that will reinvigorate the public. I've always liked the size and features of the FJ's. Perhaps more so than the Jeep. I'm not totally sure why they failed but I have a hunch. It could have been the lower hp ratings, terrible blind spots, or more importantly the lack of a removable top. So with that being said, the Bronco only needs a few things to be marketable to the masses in my humble opinion and they're listed in order of significance: (P.S., I want more than these personally, but these will be what they NEED for it to sell)

2. 4x4 (solid axle is debatable at this point. An IFS may still sell. Didn't stop the big bronco for 16 years, nor the 1/2 ton series)

Of course, there is a slew of other things they can implement to really make the Bronco unique and proprietary to itself but the above aspects will be the deciding factors in my humble opinion, as to whether it will be accepted into the market.

A few other ideas that may be options or customer add-ons that would drive customization, thus, drive profits.

2. Select-able lockers (probably a just a rear but definitely a customer option)

Then they'll have the rest of the normal options that aren't exclusive to the Bronco...interior material, sound pkgs, trim models, etc.
I like your thinking on a lot of this but I think Ford will come out with the 4 door first and the 2 door or extended cab versions later (if at all). Sure there are probably enough enthusiasts and pent up interest to soak up all those initial sales but Ford will want to try and take a sizable chunk out of Wrangler sales right out the gate and the best way to do that is go after the Unlimited model. Plus I have doubts based on the fact that it will share platforms with the Ranger that Ford will modify it for a shorter wheelbase 2 door version although I surely won't complain and hope that they do.

The FJ failed because Toyota didn't build a worthy Wrangler competitor IMO. If you search around there are many complaints about the FJ's poor front suspension, horrible visibility, a soft chassis with too much flexing causing cracks in the body. And no removable top was just the cherry on top.

One of the big problems any Wrangler competitor has to overcome is brand recognition since JEEP has that in spades and essentially owns the entire category. You say Jeep and everyone automatically thinks of an off road open air Wrangler much like Kleenex became synonymous with tissues.

That's why the Bronco has the best chance if anyone can nudge into the Wrangler's monopoly on this space. But they have to learn the lessons of Toyota who didn't build a true FJ40 reimagined and paid the price for it. Ford has to build a Bronco worthy of the original nameplate, give it a removable top (absolutely no compromise on this one), solid axle (IMO a better choice than IFS), classic design and AFFORDABLE (one of the downfalls of the FJ also).

My two cents.

39Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Raptor, Mustangs - too many to list

1997 81.956
1998 83.861
1999 89.174
2000 82.254
2001 68.830
2002 64.351
2003 70.093
2004 77.550
2005 79.017
2006 80.271
2007 119.243
2008 84.615
2009 82.044
2010 94.310
2011 122.460
2012 141.669
2013 155.502
2014 175.328
2015 202.702

You are forgetting the old saying 'if you build it they will come'... Ford built all the Lightning's with 2 doors and sold the crap out of them so if the Lightning comes back do you really want a 4-door Lightning? If the Bronco is only 2 doors it will still out sell the JK
Sponsored