Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72K5Blazer, 1980Toyota Hilux, 2014 silverado1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Dear Ryan;

Thank you for opening the door to all of the questions and taking the time to respond to everyone. I hope you are not regretting it already :)

I have a couple of questions I am hoping you might consider answering, or anyone else, of course, I'd be very appreciative.

I am yet to order a Bronco, mainly because I am trying to understand all of the technical details as I am totally new to this platform.

My intention is to prepare a rallycross car, and the latest technical specifications have helped me a little in understanding some variables. However, there are still many variables and options I still don't understand how they may impact the vehicle performace.

For example, weight is certainly an issue, but for rallycrossing unsprung weight is even more of an issue, as well as the weight distribution. Moreover, the shocks are of critical concern too. So, although I think the Sasquatch package will actually be detrimental to the overall performance due to the size and weight of the wheels and tires, the shocks provided may be of major benefit. I am unable to determine how getting the SAS package and downgrading the to 33" A/T tires may impact the vehicle for rallycrossing. Would you share your opinion on this, please?

Also, I understand that even though anti-swaybar disconnect is most useful for maximum suspension travel and chassis flex during rocky terrain, it may also be quite beneficial in rallycrossing, since surface traction is low enough that lateral force loading is far less than on asphalt. Consequently, I am leaning towards the Badlands trim, rather than Wildtrack. At the same time, the Badlands trim appears to have ~100+ lbs weight penalty, probably due to additional shielding. Would you mind sharing your opinion on the compromises I should considering for rallycrossing purposes?

Thank you!
Well in racing all bets are off. I'd buy the lightest vehicle with the most horsepower to start. if you know your target tires size, even better. rotating mass is everything in accelerating fast. keep those wheels and tires light. The bronco is pretty nimble and would be really fun to slide around on dirt roads. ( might even be its true purpose) The bilstein's shocks are cool but you can't tune them. 4wp shocks can be rebuilt, and the ride height can be modified for your application. hope that helps.

Ft.S

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thank you for your reply. I certainly agree of course.

As it is with all racing, have to live within the rule book. My first take is to have a vehicle that provides the most advantage in the stock class, which limits modifications significantly. Beating Subarus, which are dominating the AWD stock class, is tough. The Bronco appears to offer three things potentially better than Subarus can muster: (1) The 4A mode of 4x4, (2) tire size and (3) automatic front anti-roll bar disconnect.

Although shocks can be changed and revalved in stock class, they cannot be modified beyond that. I wish Ford would offer adjustable shocks with one of the trims, but may be in the future.

Thank you again for the response.

OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thank you for your reply. I certainly agree of course.

As it is with all racing, have to live within the rule book. My first take is to have a vehicle that provides the most advantage in the stock class, which limits modifications significantly. Beating Subarus, which are dominating the AWD stock class, is tough. The Bronco appears to offer three things potentially better than Subarus can muster: (1) The 4A mode of 4x4, (2) tire size and (3) automatic front anti-roll bar disconnect.

Although shocks can be changed and revalved in stock class, they cannot be modified beyond that. I wish Ford would offer adjustable shocks with one of the trims, but may be in the future.

Thank you again for the response.
Have you had a serious look at the bronco sport? the rear locker and trans controller are awesome. Rumor has it the tech comes from the Focus RS rally car. Subaru hasn't got a chance. (And I love the WRX) on a side note, if you ever get the chance to drive a hybrid rav4, its far more impressive than any subaru offered today.

Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you tell us when your coil-overs will be available to purchase. I should be taking delivery of my 2door Black Diamond mid to later August and hope to level the front right away.

Louis

Wildtrak
First Name
lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda accord exl v6
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
HI Ryan im a rookie bronco future owner of a wildtrak 2 door. i saw a video of a black 2 door lifted with 37s and it looked awesome. if i wanted to do that to mine would i get anything for the 35s or would i be stuck with them. thanks. Lou R

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@dirtstar2002 welcome and been visiting the local 4WP here in Coppell for some Bronco info. I guess corporate is keeping things under wraps until retail Broncos roll off the assembly line and make there way to transport trucks. What are your thoughts on the 10R60 Trans and tuning the 2.7L? Some say the trans can handle the additional torque and others say it's almost maxed from the factory... Thanks!

OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
HI Ryan im a rookie bronco future owner of a wildtrak 2 door. i saw a video of a black 2 door lifted with 37s and it looked awesome. if i wanted to do that to mine would i get anything for the 35s or would i be stuck with them. thanks. Lou R
I think just like TRD wheels or fox factory shocks on jeeps, they command good money on Craigslist especially if you get a Bronco early. Base model guys are gonna want that stuff.

OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
@dirtstar2002 welcome and been visiting the local 4WP here in Coppell for some Bronco info. I guess corporate is keeping things under wraps until retail Broncos roll off the assembly line and make there way to transport trucks. What are your thoughts on the 10R60 Trans and tuning the 2.7L? Some say the trans can handle the additional torque and others say it's almost maxed from the factory... Thanks!
I can’t really speak to those drivetrain parts as I’m actually a Chevy guy. The trick with any modern drivetrain to keeping it alive is engine management. Jeep does a great job with the 8 speed simply by pulling back power so you can’t abuse it. I’m sure Ford does that too. Stock F150’s are undrivable in the dirt (to me) (until you disable the abs and traction control) if that gives you any idea of nanny features.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Can you tell us when your coil-overs will be available to purchase. I should be taking delivery of my 2door Black Diamond mid to later August and hope to level the front right away.
We have a formal announcement going out this week (so they tell me)😎

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm getting a 4dr Big Bend with the 4.27 locking rear.
If you had a couple grand to spend on upgrades that would not significantly compromise on-road manners but make the overall package better for light/moderate off-road stuff what would it be?
I'm assuming tires would be the first thing, but what else?

Also in San Diego - were you the one driving that 4dr A51 Badlands through Rancho Bernardo a few weeks back? ;)

OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm getting a 4dr Big Bend with the 4.27 locking rear.
If you had a couple grand to spend on upgrades that would not significantly compromise on-road manners but make the overall package better for light/moderate off-road stuff what would it be?
I'm assuming tires would be the first thing, but what else?

Also in San Diego - were you the one driving that 4dr A51 Badlands through Rancho Bernardo a few weeks back? ;)
I really like the ford factory wheels. The color, styling and offset are on point for a great daily driver weekend warrior. The factory Goodyear tires in 35’s are impressive. If you’ve got cool wheels and tires, I’d head right over to performance shocks. The 4wp shock has more wheel travel, are rebuildable and the ride height is adjustable. They also hold more oil and will fade less than the bilsteins. Also, if you plan on living under 3” of lift, you won’t need upper arms. Bang for the buck the 4wp shocks is where I’d start. I’ve got a set on my truck with the same technology and love them street or dirt.

Last edited:

Louis

Wildtrak
First Name
lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda accord exl v6
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any plans for bolt on frame mounted rock sliders? I personally prefer those to rocker mounted ones. Also is the rear bumper going to be offered with both parking sensors and non-parking sensor versions? Leaning towards a base Badlands and don’t want extra sensor holes since I won’t have any sensors...digging your coilovers and UCA’s and the rest of the build. Nice work 👍
Sponsored