Sponsored

Not a gear head so explain to me 2.3 vs 2.7 . . .

EJHF150

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Explorer ST / 20 Aviator / 20 Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yes, frankly I don’t believe the Wrangler 396 will happen, and if it does I’m going to cautiously watch to see how many D44s get exploded. If they actually make it, and get it right, I will definitely get one, it’s a dream come true for the off-road world. The power is right, gets the axles right and I’m sold.

If not, then the 7.3 or even 5.0L would be a good swap for the Bronco, it would actually drive and sound like a truck we all want.
I don't think the 2.7L will be an issue for power. I had a 2017 F150 Supercrew 4X4 with the 2.7 and a Livernois tune. Thing was never lacking for power.

Frankly if / when FCA puts the 396 in the Wrangler, Ford has another option, with the 3.0L TT from the Explorer ST and Lincoln Aviator. Power to weight ratio was mentioned, and a 3.0 V-6 TT instead of a 6.4 L V-8 with roughly the same power would be my choice. (except for the sound)

We have both an ST and an Aviator. I had a Livernois tune on the ST for about 2 months. I took it off, because honestly it was too rough unless in I was in ECO mode. In Sport, the ST was A LOT of fun, but for how I drive it, it's basically not what I need anymore. Just my $0.02...
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't think the 2.7L will be an issue for power. I had a 2017 F150 Supercrew 4X4 with the 2.7 and a Livernois tune. Thing was never lacking for power.

Frankly if / when FCA puts the 396 in the Wrangler, Ford has another option, with the 3.0L TT from the Explorer ST and Lincoln Aviator. Power to weight ratio was mentioned, and a 3.0 V-6 TT instead of a 6.4 L V-8 with roughly the same power would be my choice. (except for the sound)

We have both an ST and an Aviator. I had a Livernois tune on the ST for about 2 months. I took it off, because honestly it was too rough unless in I was in ECO mode. In Sport, the ST was A LOT of fun, but for how I drive it, it's basically not what I need anymore. Just my $0.02...
Engine for engine alone I doubt you’ll convince many people to choose two turbos on a small 6 cylinder over a honest to God midsize V8 engine that doesn’t have two extra major components.
Fords secret weapon is the 7.3L and FCA can’t compete.

Deleted member 3063

Take a hour, go drive a Ranger Super Crew (the heaviest model) then come back and describe just how slow and under powered it is compared to your bigger engined whatever. If you're even considering a Bronco you owe it to yourself.
If the 2.7 is affordable I'll have it just because it's more not because it's needed. If I "needed" the manual I surely be satisfied with the 2.3 and I know this because I've actually driven both.
Yep, if I get the 2.3 I'll be looking at tunes but if you really think about it a tune might be the cost effective choice depending on how just much the 2.7 actually costs. That's money I could put toward the Sasquatch package which IMHO is going to be steep.

EJHF150

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Engine for engine alone I doubt you’ll convince many people to choose two turbos on a small 6 cylinder over a honest to God midsize V8 engine that doesn’t have two extra major components.
I completely see your point, as I was always a "no replacement for displacement" guy. Now days the enemy for me is weight, whether on me or on a vehicle...

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IMO n/a engines are just smoother and more reliable. I’m not a big fan of stressing these small engines with so much boost. I don’t think they can handle it long term. Why do you think Toyotas retain their values so well. And this is coming from a dumb millennial.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I completely see your point, as I was always a "no replacement for displacement" guy. Now days the enemy for me is weight, whether on me or on a vehicle...
Aluminum block OHV V8 should weigh less than (or very very close to) a DOHC 4/6 cylinder with two turbos, intercooler, etc.

Of course I’m fairly confident that the 7.3L is not aluminum so this is all theoretical and quite likely not the case for Fords engine families.

EJHF150

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Aluminum block OHV V8 should weigh less than (or very very close to) a DOHC 4/6 cylinder with two turbos, intercooler, etc.

Of course I’m fairly confident that the 7.3L is not aluminum so this is all theoretical and quite likely not the case for Fords engine families.
I was referring to the FCA 6.4L vs the Ford 3.0L.

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The 2.3l is a good motor even without a tune. If you opt for the lower ratio axles and the 7 speed with the crawler gear. The torque multiplication will make it beast off road. Daily driver, cruising, in town errands. The 2.3 is great. The v6 is moreso meant for those who want either the bragging rights, or plan on going to bigger tires. If I was looking for a budget friendly trail rig to take deep in the woods, the 2.3, 2dr, manual, with the sasquatch package would be ideal.
I’m hoping the 2.7 V6 EB with trailer package increases towing capacit. If you look at the site both engines say 3500 lbs across the board. I also noticed TBD mentioned in a lot of the towing capabilities with towing package.

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m already researching mods, having a history with turbo 4 bangers, reading the Ranger forums, Mustang EBs, etc., I know that the Bronco with the 2.3 will perform and be quite powerful with mods and Very responsive with a manual transmission and since I’m leaning towards manual transmission as a must, I probably don’t have a choice, but the 2.7 would be preferred. Damn Ford. No 2.7 and Manual. You dropped the ball.
Probably to much torque for the manual gearbox with the 2.7TT.

Sponsored

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

IMO n/a engines are just smoother and more reliable. I’m not a big fan of stressing these small engines with so much boost. I don’t think they can handle it long term. Why do you think Toyotas retain their values so well. And this is coming from a dumb millennial.
Speaking as another dumb millennial, I prefer the simplicity of a naturally aspirated engine, too. Fewer parts means fewer parts that can break.

That said, the EcoBoost family of engines have been on the market since 2009, and the 2.3L and 2.7L EcoBoosts have been around since 2015.

While neither engine is problem free (nothing designed or made by human beings ever will be), I can't find any reports of properly maintained turbos failing, which doesn't mean it can't happen, but the turbos themselves don't seem to be the weak link here.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry...have you missed EcoBoost F150s outsell the Coyote like 3 to 1 over the past 9 years? The most illogical buyers (truck buyers) - those who buy for image and status and experience - are overwhelmingly going for the EcoBoost. They are specifically choosing a small V6 with turbos over a proven, popular midsize V8 engine.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Probably to much torque for the manual gearbox with the 2.7TT.
https://www.getrag-ford.com/files/theme/downloads/6MTI550_Manual_Inline_Transmission.pdf

That's the transmission in the Bronco (note the 4.3 first gear and 6.6 crawl gear - Bronco gears).

The max gross vehicle mass is 4000kg (8800lbs) and the max torque is listed at 550 NM (406 ft-lb), but is scalable up to 479 ft-lb in Light Commerical Vehicles or 590 ft-lb in passenger vehicles.

Absent any actual info from a Ford engineer, I'd say this transmission is more than up to the job of handling the 2.7. They just didn't want one more configuration to develop, crash test, tune, build, and sell. I'm sure they have a pretty good idea of what the manual take rate would be and it wasn't worth it for them to put in the effort. Honestly they should have made the manual 2.7-only and charged more for it - make it the premium option. I and many many others would have gladly shelled out for it.

Last edited:

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The most illogical buyers (truck buyers) - those who buy for image and status and experience - are overwhelmingly going for the EcoBoost.
As you said, that’s great for those that don’t need the capabilities, not so great for us in the off-road community used to running 37”-38”+ tires long term expecting issue-free engine life.
Halftons have essentially picked up the slack where full-size sedans left off so it’s no surprise that those consumers increasingly choose the less truck like options.