Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interesting - and encouraging re capacity -

Being a Ford Engineer, what do you think of the constraints ?

To me the most surprising one is 2.7L - Isn't this one of Ford's standard engines they use in a lot of models ? They should have plenty ?
Why would there be a constraint on the 2.7L ?
The 2.7L is probably prioritized to F-150s first.
Sponsored

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't they have trucks parked waiting for a motor? I think the shortage is THAT bad.
No, they are waiting on semiconductors I believe. Also the 2.7L isn't on the commodity list anymore as of right now. I think it is just the hardtop and tow hitch

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No, they are waiting on semiconductors I believe. Also the 2.7L isn't on the commodity list anymore as of right now. I think it is just the hardtop and tow hitch
I think it is like Dogula eluded to, once tops and tow straighten out in a couple months things will be humming. Constraints at that point should be momentary and not such a calamity.

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Here is a quote from a May 8, 2021 e-mail that my dealer sent to me.

”Your reservation will be moved to an order bank this fall for a 2022 Bronco that will arrive after the first of the year. Sometime in the fall I will reach out to you to confirm your build.”

Not real specific but the general process makes sense. My dealer contact is the General Manager of the dealer and a part owner. He has been very patient and straight with me the whole time, so I’m guessing this quote is how it will play out.

Dogula

Heritage
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Badlands, 2023 CHALLENGER Shaker Widebody
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Interesting - and encouraging re capacity -

Being a Ford Engineer, what do you think of the constraints ?
I'm very surprised by the constraints caused by Ford's suppliers. When I worked there, Ford had these expectations from their suppliers: Quality parts delivered on time. No exceptions. If they couldn't deliver that, then they were in jeopardy of losing Ford's business.

I retired in 2007, so I know a lot has changed since then. The biggest change is Ford has a lot less suppliers now then they used too. This was by design, because they were following Toyota's supply chain model. In theory it sounds good, less suppliers translating to a leaner supply chain. But when you put all you eggs in one basket, and there is a disruption at the suppliers plants, you just can't go somewhere else to buy the parts. Changing suppliers for any automaker is not an quick process.

Even Toyota went against there own JIT philosophy by stocking up on semiconductors. They have been the least affected by the shortage. If anything good has come from all of this, is some good lessons learned.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is not likely (I won’t say impossible because . . . Ford).

I’m a mid/late February reservation and not planning to see my build until Jul/Aug 2022. There would have to be a lot of cancellations to move up. Or more constraints.
Oh Yeah?
His soft top Big Bend will probably preview next Tuesday.
LMAO!!!!

irishdore

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco Badlands, '20 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm very surprised by the constraints caused by Ford's suppliers. When I worked there, Ford had these expectations from their suppliers: Quality parts delivered on time. No exceptions. If they couldn't deliver that, then they were in jeopardy of losing Ford's business.

I retired in 2007, so I know a lot has changed since then. The biggest change is Ford has a lot less suppliers now then they used too. This was by design, because they were following Toyota's supply chain model. In theory it sounds good, less suppliers translating to a leaner supply chain. But when you put all you eggs in one basket, and there is a disruption at the suppliers plants, you just can't go somewhere else to buy the parts. Changing suppliers for any automaker is not an quick process.

Even Toyota went against there own JIT philosophy by stocking up on semiconductors. They have been the least affected by the shortage. If anything good has come from all of this, is some good lessons learned.

I cannot speak for Ford, but in the industry that I am in we also have similar expectations of our suppliers as you describe and we have both preferred and sole providers of some commodities. The business for whom I work is roughly the same global size as Ford. The commodities crush is so bad that we have had to search elsewhere (mostly unsuccessfully because everyone is doing so).

There are also additional issues beyond commodities and a main one is logistics. Many folks are probably aware of the trucking issues for fuel (from the news when that pipeline was hacked), but there are actually trucking shortages independent of industry. It is very difficult to get trucks and get product places. Shipping (via ships) is even more difficult and that stoppage in the Suez Canal didn't help matters.

Our customers (major retailers) would normally punish us with fines if we had the service levels that we currently have today. But, they are currently waiving fees on manufacturers because all manufacturers have the same issues. Instead, the retailers (like Walmart) are just replacing products with different products from another manufacturer and moving on. Everything is in flux.

Unfortunately, sounds like auto manufacturers don't have the same luxury as Walmart might. They cannot just switch to someone else overnight.

Net, net... just reinforcing what is being said by Dogula.
Sponsored