Sponsored

Calling out Bronco Folding tail Gate mod!

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not being a jerk, but what use do you need the tailgate for that is worth the inconvenience of getting to the rear cargo area? Just curious. All I can think of is sitting on it, but that’s not really a use. 😂
My kid has an EB, and when I said I was sad about how I wasn't going to have a "real" tailgate like his, he listed me 100 reasons why the side-swing gate is better for my Bronco. The main reason that did it for me was that I will be able to sit out of the sun and rain at camp or a roadside without crawling across the tailgate and without rain splashing on it.😍

But also, easy access to my cargo, acess to the hitch even if the back is open, not denting my tailgate by dropping it on something connected to the hitch. 😁
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m already planning a high clearance bumper with swing out tire carrier/gas can, so I’m ready for a tailgate mod.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I dig it! There was talk of this on another thread awhile back and it seems pretty doable. I like it because it's retro, expands the cargo area for big stuff, you can sit on it, you can stand on it to get to the roof, and it doubles as a work platform. I'm going to build a spare mount into a bumper anyway so the spare is no issue.

OP
OP
FATHORSE

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It will be soooo difficult to reach the rear space when the fold down tailgate is down. lol

Ford Bronco Calling out Bronco Folding tail Gate mod! 1621603628978

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Since you are having to engineer stuff anyways. Why not make something like the Ridgeline? Then, you would have a dropdown and a swing out.

Ford Bronco Calling out Bronco Folding tail Gate mod! 1621604821134

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My kid has an EB, and when I said I was sad about how I wasn't going to have a "real" tailgate like his, he listed me 100 reasons why the side-swing gate is better for my Bronco. The main reason that did it for me was that I will be able to sit out of the sun and rain at camp or a roadside without crawling across the tailgate and without rain splashing on it.😍

But also, easy access to my cargo, acess to the hitch even if the back is open, not denting my tailgate by dropping it on something connected to the hitch. 😁
Since you are having to engineer stuff anyways. Why not make something like the Ridgeline? Then, you would have a dropdown and a swing out.

Ford Bronco Calling out Bronco Folding tail Gate mod! 1621604821134
The two of you.... I'm about to slap you silly in dm.... what's going on here?

Tailgate is a Bronco thing, you just wouldn't understand 😔 Yes it's mostly for sitting on to be honest, not much else you can do with it. Maybe have it act as an extended truck bed if you are going slow/short distance. Another thing it's good for is a rear roll down window!! I'd take that in a heartbeat.

@RBF 1401 mentioned dropping the tailgate on a hitch? Never had that issue, but what I have noticed on the Jeep with the swing gate is I can't get into the back if my trailer is hooked up, vs. a tailgate with a rear drop down gives me easy access to the back with trailer hooked up.

So there ya have it.... still can't believe @Toccoa put up a pic of that ugly ass Ridgeline 🤮 You're better then that man

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So there ya have it.... still can't believe @Toccoa put up a pic of that ugly ass Ridgeline 🤮 You're better then that man
I was using it as an example for designing a drop/swing tailgate. Here, I modified the pic just for you. 😁

Ford Bronco Calling out Bronco Folding tail Gate mod! 1621606031504

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I would prefer a drop down option, because the floor pull out one which everyone likes kills the means of storing the doors.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1621604821134.jpeg
Did you just recommend copying something on the Ridgeline…? :sick: Can I downvote your post? :D

I understand the comment is to give a multi-use out of the tailgate, but couldn’t you pick a better vehicle to use as an example? Like even a Blackwood or something (close enough).

Edit: Glad to see others have made this comment; didn’t read those until after my post. Band together my friends. Friends don’t let friends reference Ridgelines!