Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They can be removed, but there are posts sticking up from the load floor that cannot be removed.
I look forward to seeing the innovations that will stem from those posts being in there. I have a feeling they're going to come in handy.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just managed to check out a non-sasqutched Badlands at a local dealer in Arizona, and wow, to say I was impressed is an understatement.

The 2 door looks way bigger in person than it does in pictures and I think under most circumstances, the cargo room should be totally fine. The rear space leg room is adequate and I was able to sit behind myself with plenty of room. It has noticeably more cargo space and leg room than a 2 door wrangler. The 33’ inch tires seem perfectly portioned for the 2 door, and in my opinion you don’t need Sasquatch on this trim.
This is my Bronco ordered almost exactly. I didn't get the optional wheels because they are $1K more, but man, do I really like how they look. I don't need beadlock capability, so that $1K would be entirely for looks.

I can get a second set of wheels for not much more, so there's no way to make this make sense. Maybe some time in the future someone will want to trade down. 😄

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly. It’s a pretty simple project really. Cut off the studs level with the floor pan, weld bungs in the original locations, clean with a wire wheel and some solvent, and apply touch-up paint to match the floor pan. Then you can re-use the studs that were cut off if/when you want to re-install the seats or simply sell the vehicle.

Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco Badlands - Cargo Space Pictures & Video 0n3tj7h-
One moderate accident later and the rear seat and it's occupants are visiting the front seat occupants. 😄

I would definitely want to know of someone did that mod to a used vehicle I was buying.

JDisFlip

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Your Bronco Model
Base
VIDEO!

:cool:(y) ... at 43 seconds, is this showing that the rear seats also have some recline like the 4 doors have been seen with.

Looked like there was a decent amount of recline as the seat was pulled back.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One moderate accident later and the rear seat and it's occupants are visiting the front seat occupants. 😄

I would definitely want to know of someone did that mod to a used vehicle I was buying.
What can I say? I like to build things, and I’m pretty good at it. I’m a mechanical engineer, I own a welder, and I know how to use it. I can design, cut, brace, and weld that connection stronger than the factory mounting that you’ll find underneath the seat of your delivered Bronco. It’s really not rocket science. :cool:

I can build other things, too, like the horizontal and vertical stabilizers below for the tail of an aircraft 🛩, and the workbenches they’re mounted on, and the air piping system throughout the garage. Some of us like to build things. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco Badlands - Cargo Space Pictures & Video 7B1F9A13-7102-48C1-9674-7532FB307EEC
Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco Badlands - Cargo Space Pictures & Video 6775157A-5946-4020-9960-C9BFAC132570

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What can I say? I like to build things, and I’m pretty good at it. I’m a mechanical engineer, I own a welder, and I know how to use it. I can design, cut, brace, and weld that connection stronger than the factory mounting that you’ll find underneath the seat of your delivered Bronco. It’s really not rocket science. :cool:
Building things is great. Engineering things is important. My comment was about cutting off a bolt that went through the sheet metal and was through-mounted into the frame and replacing it with maybe 1/2" of threaded support.

There's certainly more than one way to do things and you seem more than capable of making something that works for you. I'm the type that prefers to avoid irreversible modifications. But I'm not planning of removing the rear seat, so I don't even need to even consider what I would do.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I can build other things, too, like the horizontal and vertical stabilizers below for the tail of an aircraft 🛩, and the workbenches they’re mounted on, and the air piping system throughout the garage. Some of us like to build things. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco Badlands - Cargo Space Pictures & Video 6775157A-5946-4020-9960-C9BFAC132570
Damnit man, leave some clecos for the rest of us!

Building things is great. Engineering things is important. My comment was about cutting off a bolt that went through the sheet metal and was through-mounted into the frame and replacing it with maybe 1/2" of threaded support.

There's certainly more than one way to do things and you seem more than capable of making something that works for you. I'm the type that prefers to avoid irreversible modifications. But I'm not planning of removing the rear seat, so I don't even need to even consider what I would do.
Seats don't bolt to the frame. They generally bolt to nuts under sheet metal that's about twice as thick as the surrounding body sheet metal. 1/2" of thread engagement sounds about right for OEM. There are always liability questions but this can certainly be done safely if one understands materials.

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The studs that the seats are mounted to are 12mm in diameter (less than 1/2”) and are called RivStuds, which are studs that are riveted in place during fabrication.

This is what a RivStud looks like...

Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco Badlands - Cargo Space Pictures & Video B0288487-15BD-4BEB-9D8B-4F409E0850FF

And this is how it is installed...

RivStuds are appropriate for this type of mass production application where nominal strength, unit cost, ease of assembly, worker safety, and manufacturing efficiency in mass production are paramount design objectives, but they are not incredibly strong. They are strong enough for the application, they meet multiple objectives, and if they cost just $1.25/part less than an alternative design, assuming 4 studs/vehicle, they can save $1,000,000 per year in manufacturing costs ($1.25/stud x 4 studs/vehicle x 200,000 vehicles/year).

For a one-off vehicle mod, it’s pretty easy to over-design a replacement part, because you don’t have to worry about manufacturing efficiency, mass production, and economies of scale. You are just trying to solve a problem and make it stronger. Even if that costs you $30 in replacement parts, the project is a success.

Ford doesn’t have the luxury of over-designing, but a modder does.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@Razorbak86 you have a number of cool projects there, nice shop, nice work, I see you cornered the market on clecos, now will your install pass the aircraft seats 16g sled test? ;)

This thread has some good photos from the factory of the seats removed, showing the floor pan studs.
Bronco parts at factory...Seat bolt down points, bumpers, rock rails, grab handles, lights!

2021-bronco-parts-wiring-2-jpg.jpg

2021-bronco-parts-wiring-3-jpg.jpg

Bone Saw

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

VIDEO!

This is great information and gives us a more accurate depiction of the room in a 2-door. Thank you so much!

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Which dealership was lucky enough to get the 2-door??? I am super jealous!
Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco Badlands - Cargo Space Pictures & Video 20210524_095231

Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco Badlands - Cargo Space Pictures & Video 20210524_103958

Jim Click in Tucson only got 4-doors. A black Outerbanks with leather and lux package, and a Cactus Gray Black Diamond, manual with stock steelies.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the stock 4-door cloth top folds completely down like a proper convertible.

OP
OP

jllanglo

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is great information and gives us a more accurate depiction of the room in a 2-door. Thank you so much!
No problem! I was really curious about it myself and torn between a 2 door and 4 door. While I'm still torn, the one thing I will say after seeing both in person is right when I saw the 2 door badlands in person the first thing I thought was "damn I need that". I didn't get that feeling with the 4 door even though it's more practical.

OP
OP

jllanglo

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Which dealership was lucky enough to get the 2-door??? I am super jealous!
Ford Bronco 2-Door Bronco Badlands - Cargo Space Pictures & Video 20210524_103958

Jim Click in Tucson only got 4-doors. A black Outerbanks with leather and lux package, and a Cactus Gray Black Diamond, manual with stock steelies.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the stock 4-door cloth top folds completely down like a proper convertible.
Earnhardt Ford. I don't think it was a part of the dealer preview it was just a marketing rep working his way through the dealerships.
Sponsored