Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40798...er-as-ford-plans-two-new-ev-platforms-by-2025

With all that out in the open, it's time to discuss the possibility of an electric Bronco within the next four years. Ford CEO Jim Farley has already hinted that, yeah, one is in the works, but he never mentioned how soon it would arrive. No one has come out saying that a battery-electric Bronco will go on sale by 2025; however, this clip of Ford's Chief Product Platform and Operations Officer Hau Thai-Tang standing in front of a Bronco-esque profile while discussing that very deadline seems indicative.

Also, with dealers planning special expansions to specifically host Bronco models in the future, it'd make sense to capitalize on that off-shoot brand potential.

It is, of course, possible that the Bronco EV will come at a later date while the platform it's rumored to be based on rolls out in 2025. Part of that may depend on the public's reception of the electric F-150 Lightning, which has already notched 70,000 reservations since its reveal last week. Ford knows it must cater to its more traditional buyers, which will mean proving its most popular models, like the F-Series, are good enough when powered by electricity alone.

That could dictate its decision to roll out a silent Bronco off-roader sooner, or later.

Ford Bronco Electric Bronco EV Teased in Announcement of New Ford EV Platforms message-editor_1622041518832-maybebroncoevinline
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was just saying to my fiancé the other night that I wish the Bronco had an EV model. That might be an unpopular opinion, however I think it’d be a great idea.

I am very intrigued by the Ford Lightning and some of its capabilities. I don’t tow anything, and a full-sized truck is not something I really need. I do think an EV Bronco would be cool, but it would need long range for off-road adventures and a way to recharge as well. Realizing solar panels is unlikely to have the ability to charge it significantly, I’m not sure what the solution is outside of an extremely large mileage capacity. A hybrid might be a better option. I would imagine we’ll see an EV Bronco Sport before the full-size though.

OP
OP
ATX_Bronco

ATX_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

then where's the mice? huh? huh? HUH?????

No mice, no Soul.
Hamsters :) I actually worked on that commercial. They were breakdancers in fur suits and we added the heads digitally.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was just saying to my fiancé the other night that I wish the Bronco had an EV model. That might be an unpopular opinion, however I think it’d be a great idea.

I am very intrigued by the Ford Lightning and some of its capabilities. I don’t tow anything, and a full-sized truck is not something I really need. I do think an EV Bronco would be cool, but it would need long range for off-road adventures and a way to recharge as well. Realizing solar panels is unlikely to have the ability to charge it significantly, I’m not sure what the solution is outside of an extremely large mileage capacity. A hybrid might be a better option. I would imagine we’ll see an EV Bronco Sport before the full-size though.
I'm thinking that would be a better option also. A day of off roading would probably drain a battery.

BroncoBilly17

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

The other day while filling up, a Mach E rolled into the station. It had Michigan Manufacturer plates on it, so I wandered over to talk to the driver and have a look. He told me Ford had at least 2 other EV vehicles planned, beyond the Mach E and the F-150

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The other day while filling up, a Mach E rolled into the station. It had Michigan Manufacturer plates on it, so I wandered over to talk to the driver and have a look. He told me Ford had at least 2 other EV vehicles planned, beyond the Mach E and the F-150
In the OP’s post, it outlines the Explorer is likely on that list (and makes sense).

I’m still not sure how I feel about the looks of the Mach E. Part of me likes it, part of me doesn’t… can’t put my finger on it until I see them on the roads.

BroncoBilly17

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In the OP’s post, it outlines the Explorer is likely on that list (and makes sense).

I’m still not sure how I feel about the looks of the Mach E. Part of me likes it, part of me doesn’t… can’t put my finger on it until I see them on the roads.
When it pulled in, I saw it out of the corner of my eye, and it caught my attention. It did look good in person on the outside. The IP wasn't what I expected, and I didn't love it as it seemed very minimalistic away from the main screen. The guy said it was a blast to drive though.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be intrigued by an EV Bronco. Of course, I would have to see how it matches in reality with my imagination. I'm ready to convert to EVs in the right circumstances. Hearing about how much of a game-changer graphene batteries will be, I feel like that would be the compelling reason for me to switch. When that happens, I'm hoping there won't be some other future improved technology that makes me think I need to wait for that.

I think 2025 is too soon for a Bronco EV to have graphene batteries, so I might likely be a holdout for a Gen2 EV Bronco. Or do we call it Gen7?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base

The Mach E is pretty cool looking on the road to me. Especially in white.
I'm thinking that would be a better option also. A day of off roading would probably drain a battery.
One thing to keep in mind is that electric motors are more efficient at low speeds than high speeds. Stop and go is what really kills them, I’d be curious what the “rock crawling” range of an electric bronco could be.

That could dictate its decision to roll out a silent Bronco off-roader sooner, or later.

Ford Bronco Electric Bronco EV Teased in Announcement of New Ford EV Platforms message-editor_1622041518832-maybebroncoevinline
I personally think electric Bronco is quite a few years out. I’d bet we see a plug in hybrid by 2024 with a full EV for the mid cycle refresh in ‘27 or ‘28.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Right now our two car replacements are a Bronco and an EV. I want to Bronco for camping adventures and an EV for 90% of our combined driving (makes the most sense). I likely will still get a gas Bronco just due to the range (and lack of charging where I will be headed).

The F150 Lightening is AWESOME I think - if only we could deal with a full size truck (I hate the size), as for our daily driver neither of us wants to deal with parallel parking the thing in town or any other places where it will go. Looking forward to see this type of technology trickle into a sporty SUV (the Mach E is a possibility).

KDAber64

Big Bend
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F 150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I jumped on board with the Lightning on revel night...but I cancelled it 5 days later. I got to thinking that it would work for me a majority of the time, but I live out in the boonies in southern Arizona and couldn't even drive to PHX and back without stopping to recharge somewhere. And to have a $52+K truck that can't go but 300 miles just seems wrong... If they come out with a Bronco I would definitely be intrigued, but I think they have a way to go with technology before I would sign up for it.
Sponsored

Last edited: