nameuser

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Halfcab
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Heyya! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
********30 weight Ball Bearings********
Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean technically the cooling device is the radiator and the unit on the side of the trans (which is up front on the 2.7) is just a heat exchange system. Engine coolant is pumped through one side and trans fluid on the other.
And that type of cooler in the bottom of my jeep radiator does little help. I placed sensors in my lines & trans pan prior to adding aftermarket coolers. I ended up installing a manual cooler in the grill and eventually replacing that with an electric fan controlled one underneath.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While that may be the case with your Jeep’s, it doesn’t seem to be a problem for Ford. I’ve never had any issues dogging my trucks. Even one of our fleet F-550’s uses this type of cooling and never once have we had an issue with transmission temps. The fluid temp only really rises when the torque converter isn’t locked which causes more fluid friction but with the 10 speed transmission there is ample opportunity (and software programming) for the torque converter to stay locked up and working as it should.

Crawling will be the biggest hurdle for the Bronco and I’ve seen plenty of these things doing it nonstop I have plenty of confidence in not only it’s capability stock but it’s ability through aftermarket modifications.
It worked fine for stock tires on the jeep but once I went to 33s and then to 35s, thats when it became a problem. But then, it is a 4speed that is notorious for running hot and the itty bitty radiator chamber for the trans cooler just couldnt keep up. Ive never had an issue with my trans temp in my f150 running larger tires, crawling and towing with its 10speed and 3.5EB.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

its just bizarre to have a trans oil cooler basically bolted to the the trans. I am an engineer just not automotive, but fluid dynamics tell me thats not the best place for a "cooling" device.
Edit:
I mean technically the cooling device is the radiator and the unit on the side of the trans (which is up front on the 2.7) is just a heat exchange system. Engine coolant is pumped through one side and trans fluid on the other.
Now I see your post ;)

Probably short on space & if this was an oil to air cooler it would be pretty much non-effective but this is a water to oil heat exchanger.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nah. Not unless they mate it to the V6. The manual isn't rated any higher for max torque than the auto. It's actually closer to 400 lb/ft if I recall correctly.
My automatic M240i has more torque than the manual M2 (10k more). The shifts between gears are flawless. I tried both and preferred my auto "lesser" vehicle to the more expensive M2 manual or auto. Modern auto transmissions are much more superior than their older counterparts, I have no worries about my 2.3 auto order. No hating on me and no chick jokes, I can keep up with the best of them driving a manual on the column or on the floor. And I'm looking for "better" gas mileage. If I want to go fast I'll drive my little car, not what the Bronco is for IMO.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So....... you Know that it was equipped with the 10r60???? If so..... how did you come to such knowledge??? Did someone tell you or did you crawl up-under and visually identify it or from some other method of identification?

I'm in no way saying that it wasn't a 10r60, just asking for How It Was Determined To Actually Be a 10r60.
There's a thread on here that confirms the 60 for the bronco. let me find it...
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-update-confirmed-in-ford-parts-system.16429/

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My automatic M240i has more torque than the manual M2 (10k more). The shifts between gears are flawless. I tried both and preferred my auto "lesser" vehicle to the more expensive M2 manual or auto. Modern auto transmissions are much more superior than their older counterparts, I have no worries about my 2.3 auto order. No hating on me and no chick jokes, I can keep up with the best of them driving a manual on the column or on the floor. And I'm looking for "better" gas mileage. If I want to go fast I'll drive my little car, not what the Bronco is for IMO.
Yep, that 's what torque converters do. They multiply Torque ;) As you mention todays autos are not the slush boxes of old. With on demand shifting & gear lockouts of the 10 speed, there is no need to get the manual outside of just wanting one. The one thing manuals do better is handle the heat. Heat is an auto killer & if it has been heated up, it's important to change the fluid & filter as soon as you can. It's a good thing we have a trans temp gauge installed by the factory so we can monitor temps. :cool:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Workshop manual is out for Bronco and wanted to update this thread. The trans cooler/heat exchanger is mounted to the side of the 2.3 on the left side. On the 2.7 it's located under the radiator.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Workshop manual is out for Bronco and wanted to update this thread. The trans cooler/heat exchanger is mounted to the side of the 2.3 on the left side. On the 2.7 it's located under the radiator.
so is it blocked by the winch and skid plates for cooling on the 2.7 BL?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

No the cooling (and heating when cold) happens from the engine coolant flowing through this heat exchanger.

The radiator behind the grille will be where you want airflow
or the FMIC which will be a whole another can of worms.
Sponsored