Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For me, it's not how fast, but how slow and smooth it will be when deciding between the 7MT and slushbox. When you're on trail in the crusty snow, slow and smooth to stay on top the crust is key. I think the much better crawl ratio is going to be important to stay just off idle and poking through snowy mountain trails. Oh, and Manual is more fun anyway.
Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had the same dilemma. Here was how I made my decision and ended up with the 7MT:

You know why you want a manual. You understand the added engagement brings joy to the driving experience. And it prevents you from dealing with a bad automatic. At this point, the 10AT is a crapshoot. It's in a lot of Fords and Chevys, and my experience is that it varies a lot based on the shift programming. It's great in some cars and really terrible in others. If the shift logic is bad in the manual, it's my fault.
this is a very good point as well. probably my biggest dislike about autos. you punch it and let off and it'll hold the gear or it'll shift to a different gear. maybe you'll want to ease into the throttle on the highway but instead it'll shift down and then back up again. to me it's unpredictable and annoying to deal with unless you are just driving normally.

but i do get the off road/rock crawling ease it brings. i'm going to go manual when i'm ready. it's going to be the last new vehicle i buy that isn't electric. so i'm making it a manual.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Exactly, I have had my current car almost 3 years and can probably count the times I have gone WOT on both hands.
I am a little more generous with the throttle; my F-150 seems to love full throttle and I am more than happy to oblige when the opportunity presents itself. :)

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am a little more generous with the throttle; my F-150 seems to love full throttle and I am more than happy to oblige when the opportunity presents itself. :)
I was that way with my Mustang for a long time. Then after a visit or two from Johnny Law I kept that part on the track.

Kind of knew what the car could do after that and didn't really feel the need to use the power on the street anymore

Dakattack

Badlands
First Name
Dak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with the 2.3L manual. More control, more fun factor, and plenty of power for the slower speed off roading I expect to do. An added benefit is that so many people ordered 2.7Ls that maybe, just maybe, it'll compensate for my late reservation this spring and I can get my truck in December or early 22. Probably just psychological and I'll get my badlands in 2024 but hey, anything to keep things on a positive note!

Sponsored

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the ridealong videos, and now one of the off rodeo videos, the drivers and passengers all comment that the 2.3 has plenty of power and response. 2.7 should give people a nice v8 style feel of torque everywhere.

I chose the 2.3 manual to save a few $ as this is not our primary car. I also think that combo will be fun to drive, especially in the lighter 2dr badlands.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Auto for me... but I’m on the verge of a knee replacement... damn old person problems, lol.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was that way with my Mustang for a long time. Then after a visit or two from Johnny Law I kept that part on the track.

Kind of knew what the car could do after that and didn't really feel the need to use the power on the street anymore
Well freeway on-ramps in Texas merging into a 75-80 MPH zone make it both law enforcement friendly and yet a heck of a lot of fun.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Have driven manual pretty much my entire life, but might just jump ship and go auto.

The reason is simple, I want the more powerful 2.7

The only thing that makes me question that decision is whether or not the manual 2.3 will be fast enough.

With a Ford Performance tune, it could make 345 HP and 385 lb-ft torque, which comes very close to 2.7L output figures.

I’m afraid if I go manual 2.3, I’ll wish I had more power, but if I go auto 2.7, I’ll wish I had a manual.

When will we have the opportunity to drive Broncos?
I'll post a suggestion for this below.

For the record, the most torque you can possibly get in any Bronco is the 2.3 in crawl, that should be overwhelmingly advantageous with a calculated 20,000-something ft lb tq (obviously traction limited)

Test drive a Ranger and see if you think it's fast enough enough you. @Rick Astley has some specific instructions on what to do with the mediocre transmission so it doesn't bog you down.
When something like this pops up a few months after posting things it gives a great example of how we can use these forums to expand the tribal knowledge base when people give inputs.

As mentioned, i've been consistently critical of the automatic transmission in Ranger as I believe it spoils what is otherwise a very competent, powerful, and robust drivetrain. I specifically avoid mentioning the ecoboost Mustang as the motors are different enough in their application and build that Ranger is, to me, the best example.

What is available to us that we can manually engage on Ranger to get a valid idea of what a manual Bronco might be like?

• You'll have to do the following process (based on my 2+ years of fiddling with our '19 Ranger Lariat)
    • Must be in sport mode ("S" in the gear selector)
    • lock out gears 7-10 so they can't be engaged
      • I realize gearing ratios for 10 closely spaced gears is NOT the same as the ratios used in Manual Bronco, if you want a true apples to apples comparison, then wait for Bronco to be released and give us your input!
    • As soon as you're in "S" toggle the gear selector (the "+/-" button on side of gear selector) so that your active gear is shown on the right cluster graphic
    • Tach should be default on the left cluster graphic in S mode, if not, bring the tach up so you know your engine speed. Sound alone will not work for this rig, the fan is louder than the engine.
    • Drive the Ranger hard, wrap it up to near redline in 2nd through 6th gear using the manual gear selector button.
      • This should get you pulling hard enough that it's awkward to be going so fast in a giant bread box, slow TF down there, chief!
      • If you aren't pulling hard up to about 70 mph and, predictably, a slower pull from 70 mph to 100 mph, then I don't know what's wrong with what you did, try again.

The 2.3 in Ranger is PLENTY powerful enough for use in Bronco. It's actually a sweet little motor with plenty of torque, power and capacity. It's not high strung in Ranger (at all) like it is in Focus RS and is a great cruiser or hauler. With about 6,500 lbs in total weight (trailer, bed weight and cabin plus humans) our Ranger has done flawlessly using the 2.3, they actually paired a great engine to the truck and the manual in Bronco resolves the only flaw, the horrific automatic transmission of soul-sucking numbness.... Excluding when it slams into 2nd gear and sounds like it just money-shifted itself into the scrap yard, that's not soul sucking, it just sucks.

All motors under 6.0 liters is small, IMHO, so the "big 2.7" argument falls on deaf ears here.

This ^

I have driven the 2.3 in the Mustang, Explorer and ranger. It has plenty of get up and go. Also, these aren't race cars, in a vehicle like the Bronco or Ranger I wouldn't care how fast it is. As long as it has enough to merge and pass it's good to go. The 2.3 has got plenty of power to get out of it's own way.
Ford Bronco Dilemma: Manual 2.3 VS Auto 2.7 giphy[1]

this is a very good point as well. probably my biggest dislike about autos. you punch it and let off and it'll hold the gear or it'll shift to a different gear. maybe you'll want to ease into the throttle on the highway but instead it'll shift down and then back up again. to me it's unpredictable and annoying to deal with unless you are just driving normally.

but i do get the off road/rock crawling ease it brings. i'm going to go manual when i'm ready. it's going to be the last new vehicle i buy that isn't electric. so i'm making it a manual.
The tuning on Ford's 10-speed autos is quizzical at best. Obviously the only objective is to eek out that last 13/64ths of a mile per gallon in whatever testing parameters the NHTSA identifies. Nothing about it is making the vehicle drive properly.

Having an unloaded Ranger roll at 35 mph up a mild grade in 10th gear at 1,400 rpm, gasping for breath and losing momentum makes not one bit of sense. Yet that's the world we live in, and apparently the world Bronco owners touting the more-awesome-extreme-dragstrip-power 2.7 engine are pining for. Pity.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have driven manual pretty much my entire life, but might just jump ship and go auto.

The reason is simple, I want the more powerful 2.7

The only thing that makes me question that decision is whether or not the manual 2.3 will be fast enough.

With a Ford Performance tune, it could make 345 HP and 385 lb-ft torque, which comes very close to 2.7L output figures.

I’m afraid if I go manual 2.3, I’ll wish I had more power, but if I go auto 2.7, I’ll wish I had a manual.

When will we have the opportunity to drive Broncos?
More Power AND Faster - big is better! 2.7L is a no brainer.

I've driven sticks my whole like and have one now, BUT driving in Miami traffic SUCKS with a manual. Off-roading is generally more fun and less tiring with an automatic. I'm really looking forward to driving an automatic again. More relaxing.... Oh, and the power!

People who opt for the 2.3 will ALWAYS wonder if they should have gotten the 2.7 and MANY will regret their decision. 2.7 owners will never regret it.

Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

People who opt for the 2.3 will ALWAYS wonder if they should have gotten the 2.7 and MANY will regret their decision. 2.7 owners will never regret it.
i'll disagree on that. it's all in what the person is looking for. our volvo is the t5 engine (turbo 2.0 i4) with 250hp. the option was the t6 with 305hp (turbo and supercharged 2.0 i4) and the t8 with 400hp with the t6 engine and hybrid power. the t5 for us has been great. never looking for more power and it'll easily let you pass cars on the highway and get you in trouble.
it depends on the person and their need for on road power and speed.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The disappointing fuel economy numbers for the manual with the 2.3 have given me pause on my M/T choice. So far I am still sticking with the manual since the fuel economy is nearly identical for a Badlands regardless of engine or transmission.

The cool trail turn assist and even cooler one pedal drive mode also make the auto and the 2.7 (one pedal) a real temptress.

But the allure of that crawler gear and more driving engagement keeps the M/T box checked on my order.

Lack of power with the 2.3 has never been a concern on my part. That being said if a 2.7 with a Manual was offered, I would drop the 2.3 like a hot potato.

AmericanFreedom

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Get the 2.7 and leave the manual alone. That said my order is in for a manual 👍

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
i'll disagree on that. it's all in what the person is looking for. our volvo is the t5 engine (turbo 2.0 i4) with 250hp. the option was the t6 with 305hp (turbo and supercharged 2.0 i4) and the t8 with 400hp with the t6 engine and hybrid power. the t5 for us has been great. never looking for more power and it'll easily let you pass cars on the highway and get you in trouble.
it depends on the person and their need for on road power and speed.
Oh, you drive a Volvo... I understand

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh, you drive a Volvo... I understand
family car. safer and easier to fit two kids seats and a stroller than a focus. just sayin.;)
Sponsored