First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve done a total 180 on my planned Bronco build since all these delays started...was a 4dr 2.7 Badlands SAS but now I’m leaning towards a 2dr 2.3/7MT Badlands SAS. Got bit hard by the ManSquatch bug so kicked my order to 22’

Used to daily drive/wheel an 06’ Power Wagon on 37s with a 6 speed sooo a manual doesn’t scare me. I think the manual’s crawler gear is going to be a big benefit off-road...95:1 is insane. The 2.7 Auto/SAS “only” gets a 68:1 crawl ratio. I miss driving a manual and a 2dr BadManSquatch just sounds “right” to me and my intended uses. YMMV. This will also be a second vehicle, the other being a 21’ Jeep Rubicon Ecodiesel with the excellent ZF 8 speed. If I need an auto or plan on extreme crawling I’ll drive the Jeep, if I want to cruise the local beaches or fire roads I’ll take the manual Bronco. I do plan on wheeling the manual Bronco too, especially after it gets a lift and 37s
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Whats the dilema, get the manual it will always feel faster and more wild, unless you take your bronco to the strip or haul twice its rating you wont notice especially after a tune.

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is the video I was looking for, from the offrodeo in TX. Around the 5:15 mark they get to drive the 2.3-7spd hard on a smooth course and were happy.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ranger is a good 1k lbs lighter than the bronco

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It’s fun to drive a stick shift.

#1 reason I am buying a Bronco is to get a stick shift. I really don’t care what engine it has, it’s the transmission I am buying.

To be honest, what I really want is a stick shift pickup truck. But the F150 Is automatic trans only, so I am getting a Bronco instead.

Sponsored

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Manuals that I've loved: All my motorcycles, including my current 1968 Honda CB450 Super Sport and 1979 CB750. Count up the years those have lasted. Cars include a 1964 Falcon Sprint, Taurus SHO, Mazda Miata and many others. All manuals. Offroad sticks include a 1990s 4Runner and a Mazda B2000 that did Copper Canyon in Mexico. I've have more adventures, more fun shifting, and felt more in control than ANY of the automatics I've had or rented.

Power? The 2.3 has much more power than my current, 2002 F-150 with it's Triton V8. About 260 HP if I recall. I towed a 3 horse trailer up many dirt roads in the hills with that "weak" engine. It's been fine for 20 years, but the automatic is boringly unnoticeable. Why do you guys need so much power? Burning donuts in parking lots? Racing corvettes? Passing the semis that are already doing 80MPH on the highways? Sorry, but you just don't need any more than 300 HP on a Bronco. And if you think you "need" a finicky, computer controlled automatic for offroad, well....sorry

I ordered the 2.3 and manual, of course.

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ranger is a good 1k lbs lighter than the bronco
Even if you cherry-pick the lightest published Ranger curb weight and the heaviest published Bronco curb weight then there is still less than a 1000lb difference between them. In fact many of the lower Bronco trims with the I4 have a somewhat similar curb weight to Rangers.

And to show you that I'm not just spouting ridicilous horseshit like you, I've attached screenshots of the vehicle specs to corroborate my assertions.

Maybe try it sometime.

Screenshot_20210602-221907_Samsung Internet.jpg

GVWR Details V31024_1.jpg

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not trying to race an offroad vehicle on road, I'm not going to be doing highway speeds offroad, the 2.3L has way more power than my last truck (5sp manual - 180hp & 202ft/lbs), I'm going to be mainly using it going slow on trails and rock crawling.

2.3L 7sp 2dr Badlands or me, a very easy choice to make.

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand both sides of this. My 87 Bronco had a T-18 manual trans and an underpowered 5.0L, but it worked and drove well. My 2020 Raptor had the 3.5L with the 10 speed and was awesome. I’ve driven my buddy’s 2019 F-150 with the 2.7/10 speed and another buddy’s 2019 Mustang with the 2.3/manual. The new 10 speed isn’t a crap shoot, it’s pretty amazing really. The 2.7 and 2.3 engines I’ve driven both had plenty of power. I would have zero hesitation with either combo in the Bronco, I would draw the line at a 2.3L with the 10 speed though as the benefit of the automatic is the 2.7 engine option. I’m sure the 2.7/10 speed will be a rocket based on driving that combo in the F-150.

I’m going manual because for the first time in my driving life I don’t have anything manual in the garage. My Bronco will be a weekend truck for me, not a daily driver in city traffic. If the 2.7/10 speed gave me a higher tow rating I might be interested, but my current boat is under 3000 pounds.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh, you drive a Volvo... I understand
Yeah…Volvo never made any kick ass cars.

My C30 Polestar was the best car I’ve ever owned from a performance and chassis perspective. Not the fastest car, but the 2.5L turbo engine was always eager to rip the tires and you could chuck it into corners at stupid speeds. Mine was a manual, of course. This is the car I regret selling the most. If only it had been AWD…

Ford Bronco Dilemma: Manual 2.3 VS Auto 2.7 4F470F1B-A87E-4C99-9B82-57ED262D911E

jmhutner

Badlands
First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Performance Blue GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly, I have had my current car almost 3 years and can probably count the times I have gone WOT on both hands.
I go wide open throttle in my car every time I drive it. Lol

Deleted member 18388

I wouldn't care if they brought back the 4.0 V6 I have in my Ranger. I would still get it if it meant I could have a manual transmission.
Sponsored