First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still don't understand how the 2.3L Black Diamond gets significantly less mileage than the BB, Base, and OBX; yet throw a 2.7L in and they all perform the same.
Every reply you got didn't get your question.

My understanding is that the 2.3 has to work harder with the added weight of the BD. It stays in boost more often and gets poor fuel economy.
With the 2.7, the added weight doesn't affect it as much and can run at a lower rpm and boost less often.
Sponsored

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I reserved in early October, 2 Door, Cyber Orange, Badlands, LUX, Non Squatch, Manual tran, 2.3 liter, tow package, MIC top. I finalized my order on March 19th, and was told i would have a estimate in May. YIKES. I am just praying my vehicle is here before New Years. Fingers crossed!!
you most likely won't get it tell some time in Feb or later , I reserved a 2 door base with sas and 2.7 in mid Aug and I was told most likely next year

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still don't understand how the 2.3L Black Diamond gets significantly less mileage than the BB, Base, and OBX; yet throw a 2.7L in and they all perform the same.
Also, the more powerful motor may be at a more efficient rpm for the same amount of power. I have a V10 engine in my truck that get's better mileage towing than a smaller engine, because the smaller engine is turning higher rpm to get to the same amount of power to move that heavier load. The 2.3L will probably be more efficient at limited times; whereas the engine with more power has to turn slower to move the same load. Small motors are great for economy when the weight they move is small, but if it's a heavier load they because less efficient/effective at moving it. A Kia pulling a boat will struggle and use more fuel than an F150 with the tow package. Build a heavy rig and watch the smaller motor struggle to maintain speed/rpm without putting your foot into and being in "boost" all the time. Ecoboost is only eco part of the time.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the more aggressive tires in the Black Diamond accounts for most of the fuel economy difference between the Base/Big Bend and the BD. I think the difference to the BL is also mostly tires.

Here is a list of the curb weights for a refresher.
The 2 door BD weighs 290 more pounds than the 2 door BB.
The 4 door BB weighs 170 pounds more than a 2 door BB. Ford has not distinguished any difference in fuel economy between the 2 door and the 4 door.
The 4 door BD weighs 358 pounds more than the 4 door BB.

Ford Bronco Official EPA MPG Mileage for 2021 Bronco posted on fueleconomy.gov 1622824761563

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Every reply you got didn't get your question.

My understanding is that the 2.3 has to work harder with the added weight of the BD. It stays in boost more often and gets poor fuel economy.
With the 2.7, the added weight doesn't affect it as much and can run at a lower rpm and boost less often.
Do we know for sure the diff gears on all the manual trans models having the 2.3L engine? Reason I ask is because the base manual is reported to have 4.46 diff gears and 30 inch tires. (I might be slightly off on that.)

In contrast, the Sas has 35 inch tires. It's hard for me to believe going from 30 to 35 tires, will only see a small diff gear change from 4.46 to 4.7. That small diff change will not maintain comparable RPM/speed between the two model versions. I am curious if we will see diff gears in the 5.x range for the eventual Sas 2.3L manuals.

As for the BD 2.3L manual, I assume it will have the 4.7 diff gears. That could account for some of the worse fuel mpg.

Sponsored

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Aren't black diamonds the ones with the metal bumper and plates? Why wouldnt it affect EPA?

Lol I like how you chose a random thread to post this. Yeah man we are all feeling the same
You're looking at the wrong part of my question. I can easily accept that extra weight of the Black Diamond or even the different gearing leads to lower MPG. That makes sense, what then doesn't is that the 2.7L Black Diamond apparently gets same MPG as the 2.7L BB, Base, OBX.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think the more aggressive tires in the Black Diamond accounts for most of the fuel economy difference between the Base/Big Bend and the BD. I think the difference to the BL is also mostly tires.

Here is a list of the curb weights for a refresher.
The 2 door BD weighs 290 more pounds than the 2 door BB.
The 4 door BB weighs 170 pounds more than a 2 door BB. Ford has not distinguished any difference in fuel economy between the 2 door and the 4 door.
The 4 door BD weighs 358 pounds more than the 4 door BB.

1622824761563.png
Based on some online calculators, the 1000lbs extra weight, will add approx 1 second to quarter mile times. That's comparing a 2.3L base 2-door vs a 2.3L loaded 4-door.

Would be interesting to see how the base 2.3L 2-door stacks up against a 2.7L loaded 4-door.

Edit: Answer to my own question, the 2.3L base 2-door is estimated 0.3 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile, compared to a 2.7L loaded 4-door. (At least according to the online calculator I used.) Watch 2.3L owners beat the 2.7L owners, lol.

Last edited:

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
..... immediately hitting page down as I know my build will get the worst possible mileage....

Sponsored

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea with no drop off going Sas on the Badlands why not? I was thinking there would be a bad drop off.

Now Im looking at Badlands,Auto,2.7L,Sas
Do it.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Glad to see the effects of adding the Sasquatch pkg has a negligible effect on MPG.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, at least we're one step closer to getting our Bronco's.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do the knobby tires on the Sas contribute to the lowest MPG? It seems the right gearing is in place, so is it strictly the 35" tires causing the lower MPG or tread pattern or both? Will switching to a smoother tread pattern help?

The best MPG combo seems to be 2.3 and manual. 20/22 is not that bad considering for example my 97 TJ with the 4.0 has only 180 HP and nets between 16 and 18 MPG. So having 270 HP and a whole lot more torque on tap and increased MPG is nice. Has me thinking to cancel my Sas order and get base 2.3 with manual.

I will add that in most all of my vehicles with manual transmission I far exceed the EPA for mileage (exception only my current Wrangler). So I am really liking the manual more even if it means having small tires if I can squeeze out say 25 or 26 MPG.

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad to see the effects of adding the Sasquatch pkg have a negligible effect on MPG.
Same. Was really expecting a larger impact.
Sponsored