Sponsored

Decisions to Make.... wait or buy alternative?

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm sure there are a few other's in this community that are starting to have this dilemma. I sold my second vehicle awhile ago as there was no need for it with the pandemic. I thought like everyone else that I would have my Bronco by the end of this year. As this whole launch continues on without one vehicle actually being delivered yet. I'm in the position of potentially having to go to Jeep or Toyota 4Runner by October/November if my vehicle is not yet made (Means I have to be in August or September build emails). Anyone else in the same boat and if so thoughts?
Sponsored

Bucknerj81

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Terrain, BMW X3, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Iā€™m definitely going to wait it out. Iā€™m going to buy a cheap vehicle to get me through until my bronco shows up. I donā€™t care how long I have to wait for this bad boy. I guess the longer it takes the more money Iā€™ll have to put down! (Or buy accessories :unsure:)

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If nothing else, you should be seeing auto reviews online and in print prior to September. You'll know then how it compares in real-world driving. So, that's good :)

The 4Runner and Wrangler are both known quantities, and both have very reliable drivetrains. The 4.0L and the 3.6L are both modest powerplants with exceptional reliability. The differentials in both vehicles are well-known to have little or no problems, and the same can be said for the transmissions. So, if you go with either, you'll own a vehicle that will probably last you 20 years with little more than maintenance.

I'm pretty familiar with Toyota 4Runners and they make a really nice, although some may consider dated, off roader. It was a choice of 4Runner, Bronco or Wrangler for me.

I canceled my Bronco Badlands order and ordered a Rubicon. The price was less and the availability was much better (special order, already got a scheduled for build, and should be here in another six weeks or so). It's got all the off road goodies I wanted, less expensive and should be here for summer. I'm happy.

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am in no rush and going to wait it out because, as of this writing, there is nothing else out there that its closest competitors can match for me... the 4Runner is a known commodity, but it is severely dated in way too many areas. The Wrangler has always peaked my interest, but in comparison to my fully loaded Bronco Badlands-build the Pentastar is a bit underpowered, missing quite a bit of tech and available features, and similarly equipped Rubicon-build costs a couple thousand dollars more. I do like the extra articulation found on the Wranglers, but I can afford to compromise a bit with the Bronco's IFS for expected improved drivability, steering feel, and the inclusion of the available sta-bar disconnect... and available 35" tires/lift suspension straight from the factory. Other than that the Wrangler has most of the titles with a huge headstart, but the Bronco may swipe a few belts away and, "it's the new kid on the block."

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm hanging in there like a loose tooth for now. However, I do have a break point floating around in my big 'ol dumb head.

Sponsored

Wide Open Roads

Badlands
First Name
Stace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Outback, '57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta, '10 911 C2S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My plan was to pass down my daily driver Outback to my daughter who started driving. I expected to have my Badlands by August or so, but now I wouldn't be surprised to see it next Spring.

So for the time being, I'm staying put holding on to my reservation, because I still have the Outback whether my daughter knows it or now.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've been struggling with this very thing.

1) buy used, with unknown history, the big possibility of major repairs, and an all time over priced market that practically equals a new car.

2) buy new, with a warranty, but take a financial hit when it's time to swap for the Bronco. Yes some "hold their value" but that does not mean you are not going to take a 10k hit after tax/license/doc + depreciation.

3) throw in the towel, buy a brand new Bronco competitor and drive it for enough years that the depreciation hit was worth it, and then buy a 7g or 8g Bronco.

Or of course... Just do nothing, stay frustrated, and hope you win the Bronco Lotto because it really offers so much more for cheaper than the compitition.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm a day 1 reserve guy, and was originally deadset on having my bronco asap.... Then the pandemic hit hard, and in the interim I've grown more fond of my current car and also want to purchase a home soon.... I'd prefer to be able to keep the car, and buy a house AND bronco and have my 3 big wishes in life fulfilled, but those all seem like big undertakings, especially with the housing market being worse than the sneaker resale market at the moment....
So to make a long story even longer, I'm going to wait it out a bit longer.

MarkusBigBucks

Badlands
First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Superduty 7.3 PSD, 2017 Ford Escape.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm sure there are a few other's in this community that are starting to have this dilemma. I sold my second vehicle awhile ago as there was no need for it with the pandemic. I thought like everyone else that I would have my Bronco by the end of this year. As this whole launch continues on without one vehicle actually being delivered yet. I'm in the position of potentially having to go to Jeep or Toyota 4Runner by October/November if my vehicle is not yet made (Means I have to be in August or September build emails). Anyone else in the same boat and if so thoughts?
I totaled my Explorer in November 2019, I hunt and fish and forage for whatever the earth provides , and the Explorer , while I loved it , was just to nice to take in the mountains of the PNW . Previously owning a Bronco 2 , I went in search of a more off road type vehicle. Being a Mopar hater Jeepā€™s didnā€™t work for me. Then I heard about the new Bronco, been waiting every since . Early reservation holder , but I have all the deadly sins, Badlands , Squatch, lux , 2.7. When the fuel mileage came out I was disappointed. In my hunting adventures I often drive across the country . So I have been giving it a second thought also, this is what I came up with.
Chevy Colorado Bison, with the 2.8 baby duramax diesel .
or the Jeep Gladiator with the 3.0 liter diesel or something of sorts.
Basically something with better fuel mileage but same sort of capabilities. Been looking hard at them both , however I donā€™t like either manufacturer, GMC screwed us bad on Diamond Edition Blazer and there bad orange antifreeze , and Iā€™ve seen to many interior problems on the Mopars..
So long story short , I have decided to hold out and deal with the wait and not so great MPG.
if you decide to change Iā€™d check out those two vehicles. Just my Opinion.

Last edited:

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

for now I'm waiting. There are no trails near me, so I'm not missing out on summer weekend fun or mid week trail runs, other than the odd errand or two per week I have nowhere I have to drive to for what ever reason, summer is filling up with other plans already, so I'm not missing out on much. Was hoping I might have it by August for a road trip to Oregon, that's not gonna happen, so I'll just rent something (not taking my 19 year old Taco that far) and hope it shows up in Autumn.

If I get pushed into next year I'll just have to re-evaluate. Almost bought a Wrangler Rubi last year, but then Covid hit, now they just look a bit old and dated to me, as much as I like them. Next to a Bronco they have a bit of a Model T flair to them, LOL. I doubt I'd stick around far into next year though, night one reservation hopefully still means a bit and hopefully Webasto gets their act together soon. Otherwise I might just go for something completely different or just keep on rolling around in my Taco, it'll be able to handle those 5-10 miles/week easily for an other couple years.

Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am waiting...BUT.....I must admit I am considering other options. I want the Bronco and have swag and accessories already. If this goes on much longer, me and others may go elsewhere. I don't want to and it will be a huge loss for FORD. They need to fix this ASAP.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Life is short, and waiting around to do things, is a losing proposition. If you don't already have a Wrangler or other open top 4x4, that is unfortunate. But at this stage, it is what it is.

Your two choices going forward are: 1) Continue waiting and hopefully Ford delivers sooner than later, 2) Buy a used Wrangler and have fun exploring with top down/doors off now. Then down the road switch to Bronco.

Hard to answer, without knowing if you only have a few months or year or more, to finally get a Bronco. You can do a lot of living in one year, or miss out on a lot of fun, think about it.

'18 M2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Warthog
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Aside from the Bronco, I would advise you to steer clear of the car market (new and used) for the foreseeable future. Supply chain issues have slowed production of new vehicles making supply very short which has squeezed the used market as well. The overall effect is prices are up until supply can catch up, which is going to be a while. Itā€™s a sellerā€˜s market.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m going down an interesting path. Saw a gorgeous navy blue classic mustang late last year and it keeps cropping up in my head. After the recent Ford email about not having a clue, I am about to just 99 my order and bite on a classic pony. Will be a fun summer driver and longtime cruiser if I decide to keep it. If I keep it, Iā€™ll probably go Basequach on the Bronco unless next years options pull me up into the trims. Outback will stick around as the ā€œutilityā€ vehicle til the Bronco arrives.