Sponsored

So, I sold my car...

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
...and now I don't have a car. I don't really need one during the Summer, so I figure, hey, why not make hay while the sun shines, right? Used car values have gone up about 20% in my state, which was a good chunk of change added onto the would-be trade on my 2018 outback 3.6r touring. I figure, hell, maybe I'll pick up some beater and drive it around until the ol' bronco finally shows itself (not currently scheduled). My hope is I lose less on reselling a beater than I would on old Subi later on.

Anyway, maybe it was a smart move, probably it was a total idiot move due to the inconvenience and minimal overall financial gain (compared to selling my car later and potentially after the supply chain bubble bursts causing trade values to drop again). All's I know is CarMax has my car and I have their money now, and some of it is burning a hole in my pocket as I look for a sweet beater that may or may not make it for another year and 10k miles.

I blabber all of the above to ask this: what cheap used car would YOU buy for sh#ts and gigs, if you wanted it to probably last 'til you got your bronco?

I've been eyeballing old Sequoias for overlanding. I'd really like a Sami. I can't find a Sami. A CJ7 would be nice. Maybe a nice convertible, though I don't know what my two greyhounds would think about that.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Similar(ish) situation. Son will get his permit in another month, and I just sold my Mustang, so I no longer have a stick-shift, and I promised to teach him on a stick.

Top contenders are: older F-150, Last gen Ranger, Dakota, Rav4, or an old 2-Door Explorer. Forrester also in the mix, but leery of the cost associated with the whole Subie timing-belt water pump service interval. Possibly an Escape, but not a fan of transverse engines. A Subie Baja would be cool, but people want stupid money for them. If people can get $10k for an old Baja with a quarter million miles, Subaru is really missing the boat by not bringing them back.

A beater 2-Door Explorer with a stick-shift is pretty damn affordable though, and both the I4 and V6 are pretty solid. And they have depreciated to the point where they really are not going to depreciate any further.

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Just did the same and am also looking for a temp vehicle. No idea what I'm going to end up with if anything. Only place I drive to is the gym 5 days a week and I can just borrow one of the other cars in the household for that.

Last edited:

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

...and now I don't have a car. I don't really need one during the Summer, so I figure, hey, why not make hay while the sun shines, right? Used car values have gone up about 20% in my state, which was a good chunk of change added onto the would-be trade on my 2018 outback 3.6r touring. I figure, hell, maybe I'll pick up some beater and drive it around until the ol' bronco finally shows itself (not currently scheduled). My hope is I lose less on reselling a beater than I would on old Subi later on.

Anyway, maybe it was a smart move, probably it was a total idiot move due to the inconvenience and minimal overall financial gain (compared to selling my car later and potentially after the supply chain bubble bursts causing trade values to drop again). All's I know is CarMax has my car and I have their money now, and some of it is burning a hole in my pocket as I look for a sweet beater that may or may not make it for another year and 10k miles.

I blabber all of the above to ask this: what cheap used car would YOU buy for sh#ts and gigs, if you wanted it to probably last 'til you got your bronco?

I've been eyeballing old Sequoias for overlanding. I'd really like a Sami. I can't find a Sami. A CJ7 would be nice. Maybe a nice convertible, though I don't know what my two greyhounds would think about that.
I have been considering doing the same thing. I don't blame you.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just sold mine on Monday. The wife and I were talking on Sunday about how the prices have gone up and I started to wonder if we could get through the summer with just one vehicle. But then I had a client asked me Monday morning what to do cuz his was dying and I told him to buy mine. So he came over and did. I definitely got another thousand over my best hoped for price.

Sponsored

Kickit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh man it’s crossed my mind to sell my car now. Ive got a VIN for July 12 and checked the resale value of my Hyundai Santa Fe (🤮 I know), it’s gone up almost 5k since I checked last year! Just not sure I can stomach ubering to and from work for the next few months, and also not a ton of confidence that there won’t be another production delay 😬

OP
OP
FerkinBlonco

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
A beater 2-Door Explorer with a stick-shift is pretty damn affordable though, and both the I4 and V6 are pretty solid. And they have depreciated to the point where they really are not going to depreciate any further.
For real! That's what I'm looking for, too. I think there's still going to be a little bump in prices for those just based on the crazy market, but I really think we'll be able to make it out ahead overall. I had an old Explorer with a stick, I would love to find another one. I'm on the look out for something like that, but as it stands I'm eyeballing a 2007 Sequoia with 250k miles (but with well documented maintenance, new rubber and brakes, garaged). Sad thing is that's going for about 8k which is an OK value in today's market, but I'm pretty sure it's a few grand over where it was last year. Probably a bad decision, maybe I'll pass....

No idea what I'm going to end up with if anything.
I hear ya there. Sounds like it was a good choice given you've got some other rigs in the household. Nice!

I have been considering doing the same thing. I don't blame you.
Thanks (y) this is definitely an interesting situation we're all in.

it’s gone up almost 5k since I checked last year!
That's about where I was too, and I had a similar reaction about the car I sold... haha! Good luck on figuring out what to do next!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My F150 sells as soon as my title comes in. July 5th build week, so probably 6-8 weeks without a car. Motorcycle and bike will do for the summer. Kids and wife have cars if I need to go somewhere. Maybe I can get a ride to the cabin and just stay there until the Bronco comes in?

OP
OP
FerkinBlonco

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, I got tired of waiting for my bronco so I bought a bronco while a wait on my bronco...
1996/XLT/5.0/156k mi
Ford Bronco So, I sold my car... IMG_20210613_183420
Ford Bronco So, I sold my car... IMG_20210613_183445

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just did the same and am also looking for a temp vehicle. No idea what I'm going to end up with if anything. Only place I drive to is the gym 5 days a week and I can just borrow one of the other cars in the household for that.
buy a bike to ride to the gym.
Sponsored