Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford isn't using the same transmission as the Prius. There is also zero gearing in it too...CVTs use a band to "shift" with.
Source?

The Escape CVT is based on the Toyota version. Toyota does have gears in their CVT.

Screenshot_20210614-084854~2.png

Screenshot_20210614-085227~2.png
Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Your quoting information that is way out of date and IIRC there was a lawsuit with Toyota over Hybrids that they agreed to share things since the tech they both developed was very similar to one another.

Ford stop making the Escape Hybrid in 2010 and came out with its own hybrid transmission after that

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/08/hf35-20120802.html

https://www.wardsauto.com/test-drives/make-room-electrified-20-ford-escape

Driving the wheels via what Ford calls its PowerSplit electronic continuously variable transmission, the hybrid provides ample power while minimizing the rubbery reaction where engine speed seems to race beyond the normal rpm one might expect to achieve acceleration.

Credit the three-mode layout of the e-CVT developed by Ford’s powertrain engineers that combines engine, motor and regenerative power from the wheels to determine engine and motor output based on driver demand.
Then this tidbit

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ford-maverick-hybrid-motor-technology/

Its form factor isn't terribly different from the motor used in the Ford Escape Hybrid, but it renders the e-CVT transmission a unique new part number from that used in the Escape Hybrid.
I haven't found what exactly is being used in the post 2020 Escape yet, but I'm still digging

EDIT: It looks like the Escape and Maverick Hybrids are using a eCVT design based off the 6F35 transmission, I linked it above..its called a HF35 and has been in use in the old Fusion Hybrid and C-Max when it was in production. The 6F transmission also gained a couple gears since then to become an 8 Speed.

Ford has two different FWD 8 speed transmissions-I don't think they where happy with the GM lead FWD 8-9-10 speed transmission and just kept using an updated 6F 8 speed in FWD applications or in applications that required high power (Edge ST and the like) output.

Last edited:

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't get practically everyone on here going for the 2.0L engine. The main appeal of this truck as I see it is its amazing MPG with the standard engine. I get the desire for AWD, but seriously I've lived in Minnesota most of my life and drive ski trips to CO and never owned AWD or 4WD. Sure there are times it is nice but even in MN that is few and far between you really need it. Modern FWD with good tires does pretty darn good and most of the time ground clearance is a bigger problem than lack of AWD. The 2.0L engine MPG is likely to be not much different than a Ranger or full size pickups. I wish Ford offered this same power train on the Bronco for those of us not obsessed with power and desire better MPG!

joez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was at Fab Fords over the weekend, Ford had one on display. As for the name I think they should have brought back the ranchero, since this is more car like then tuck like. I am kind of surprised that they didn't based this on Bronco Sport. Isn't that the platform of the future?
Wish I could have seen the insides in person. Does anyone know if the back seat fold flat/down?

20210613_094824.jpg

20210613_094829.jpg

20210613_094850.jpg

20210613_094852.jpg

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As for the name I think they should have brought back the ranchero
You aren't alone, I've seen this expressed many times. IMO Ranchero isn't a pleasant and/or cool sounding name, and I'm guessing Ford also didn't think it would fit a modern car.

Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am kind of surprised that they didn't based this on Bronco Sport. Isn't that the platform of the future?
Technically it is-

The Focus (not sold in NA), Escape, Kuga, Bronco Sport all share roughly the same wheelbase.

The Transit Connect and Maverick are based on the Long wheelbase version of the C-platform, which is roughly 14 inches longer in the Escape for example.

The next gen Transit Connect will be slightly larger and more NA specific and closer to the Maverick then the current gen.The current gen gets replaced by a VW based product in a few years for the EU and maybe China?

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm putting my money in on an XLT with the 2.5 hybrid for the 40mpg. I splurged and ordered moonroof and spray in bedliner. This will be my daily driver until I trade it in for my Bronco in 22/23??? I'm keeping my Tundra just so I can keep my #ManCard though.
Ford Bronco Ford Maverick Pickup Revealed! Standard Hybrid, 40MPG City, Under $20k Starting Price! pJVlQsA

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't get practically everyone on here going for the 2.0L engine.
AWD + tow + FX4

The 2.0T should do at least 20% better than the 2.3T in the Ranger in real world driving.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Makes sense -- 40 MPG would be sweet though.
I would have bought the hybrid if it had AWD. They have it on the Escape and I am surprised they didn't offer it on the Maverick. I assume a PHEV with AWD will come at some point. Just make the rear axle and e-axle and be done with it.

Sponsored

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m not a pickup type of person.....haul mulch with a tarp in my escape.....but THIS wheelbase is what I was hoping the Bronco Sport was going to have, but they made it too small for what I was hoping for. I think is a great price point.

Last edited:

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like it a lot, but I would only get the XL model hybrid. Once you step up to the higher trims with the eco, awd, fx4, and tow package, you're in Ranger XL territory. But for 20k you get a new vehicle that gets 40 mpg and has more utility than a sedan/crossover. I can't think of anything that comes close to that in terms of value in a brand new vehicle.
Sponsored