Sponsored

Who else is waiting to see 6th gen 4Runner first?

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My ranting probably doesn't deserve its own thread but what the hell. The irrational side of me wants a Bronco, in all its 415 lb-ft of torque, center diff, 33"/35" tire glory. That said, I will likely not take the top off. I get enough sun, rain and mosquitos in my fixed roof vehicles as it is. Might take the doors off once or twice a year, if I ever get a wild hair and come across a surprise surplus of sunscreen in our pasty white Polish household. I won't be loading it up with farkles in preparation for an Instagram-worthy rock crawing/overland camping adventure. The vehicle will see the vast majority of its life carting me to and from my job and carting the kids to their activities after hours. If I'm still insistent on a body-on-frame SUV, I'm truthfully more of a candidate for the 4runner than anything.

There's not too much bad to be said about them, they're reliable as all get out, as depreciation-proof as a mass-produced vehicle will realistically be and will almost certainly be a better highway companion than the Bronco. But the more I see of the Bronco, the more I'm getting hung up on the bad stuff. The engine is by all means one of the better NA V6s for truck/SUV applications still made, but damnit I've drank from the German turbo six cylinder torque-just-off-idle koolaid, and I'm not going back. The interior looks every bit as old as it is, just with a new center screen wedged in; I see more in common with my Frontier interior than anything else in production today, and that didn't even look new in 2007. The transmission is almost old enough to buy its own alcohol.

So I'm going to kick the new vehicle purchase can down the road a bit, camp out and see what 'yota does with the 2023 4runner. If they spoon in the TTV6 from the new Land Cruiser (and ostensibly the forthcoming Tundra) with the associated 10spd now in the parts bin, give the inside a makeover (c'mon Toyota, I've seen the new Highlander, you can do it!) and I dunno, hell I'd be fine with the exact same exterior, that might sway me. Or they might just do their usual warm-over refresh, and given how well the damn things continue to sell, I couldn't blame them too much.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Sponsored

jllanglo

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Given what you’ve written and what you’d like, I don’t think you’d be happy with either.

I’d opt to wait for the new 4Runner or something more luxurious with basic 4x4 or AWD capability. In my opinion if you’re not getting the Bronco to off road or to take the top off, you’ll be disappointed. People get wranglers all the time because they think it will meet certain needs, only to realize that’s it’s a bit rough, unrefined, and noisy compared to what they’re used to. I expect the Bronco to be a mild improvement above that but not much.

Swamp Yankee

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Land Rover LR3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I appreciate this post as well as the first response. From my perspective, everything is a trade off. I am personally really excited about a few things about the Bronco. Taking the top off is #1. I live in Seattle. Once July comes around, that top is coming off and not going back on until September. As far as I’m concerned, that is the reward for making it through the long winter. Second, I just cannot resist the manual transmission. If that wasn’t available, I’m not sure the topless option would be enough; I am beyond pumped it is available. I never met an automatic transmission I really liked. Third, I like to head out to far out trailheads. Literally any car can make almost any forest road (I had some epic adventures in a ‘96 Focus across Wyoming), but doing it in a Badlands Bronco could easily be half the time and 10x the fun. All this combined, and I think I will be thrilled with the Bronco. Should note that I drove a Wranger and just couldn’t deal. Am assuming and hoping the Bronco IFS is a completely different driving experience.

All that said, a 4Runner could work great for my “needs.” But the bottom line is I just don’t like it. Stone Age engine and transmission, and really dated design inside and out. If the next gen knocks it out of the park, I could possibly forgo the removable top and stick of the Bronco, but it would take some doing on Toyota’s part.

Lastly, notwithstanding the interconnectedness of the global supply chain and transnational corporations, made in the USA is great to see.

BCFDLtE13

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Totally agree with all of you. Especially about the manual transmissions. My wife has a 4Runner. It's a tough Mommy wagon that suits our active lifestyle and hauls the whole family around in comfort.
I have an 08 FJ Cruiser Trail Teams in a 6spd manual. It's been pretty much "moth balled" since 2015 when I got my Mustang GT Performance Pack, also with a 6spd manual. I still love that truck. I've never owned an automatic, and I'm trying hard to never do so. I ordered my Badlands in a stick.
I love my wife's 4runner, if they were still available with 3 pedals...it would be damn near the perfect vehicle for me. There was once a time you could take the top off them too and row through 5 gears. Seems like they're missing something these days.
Our Toyota's have been great, super reliable, and they hold stupid resale value. My only complaint is Toyota goes way too long between redesigns. They come out with a bunch of editions once the vehicle gets long in the tooth. Someone in there marketing team says' "Ooh, I know! Slap on some black emblems and left over TRD wheels. We can call it the Nightshade edition. Yeah...That should get us at least 3-4 more years out of a 10 year old vehicle and technology. And people will still buy every last one of 'em"

OP
OP
FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Given what you’ve written and what you’d like, I don’t think you’d be happy with either.

I’d opt to wait for the new 4Runner or something more luxurious with basic 4x4 or AWD capability. In my opinion if you’re not getting the Bronco to off road or to take the top off, you’ll be disappointed. People get wranglers all the time because they think it will meet certain needs, only to realize that’s it’s a bit rough, unrefined, and noisy compared to what they’re used to. I expect the Bronco to be a mild improvement above that but not much.
I don't get to say this terribly often, but this is one case where I do think I know what I'm getting into. Wife had a JK wrangler when we met, and I can confirm the usual complaints; steering sucks, solid front axle was squirrely on the highway, leg and knee room for the front row are marginal. Gutless pentastar v6 hooked up to one of the worse manual transmissions in production at the time (I hear the JL is an improvement, but haven't driven one yet). And we never took the top off it.

That said it was a fun vehicle, and I miss driving it. Didn't matter whether it was driving to work or tearing around Colorado with that pitiful little engine wheezing away, damn fun vehicle. If the Bronco can improve on a few of those points, and I see no reason to expect otherwise, I can live with the unrefinement.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My functional needs are few - so I tend to fall back on styling....and because I live in the mountains, the vehicle needs some horsepower. If 4Runner came in a 2-door, I'd be all over it.

Bronco 2-door checks a few boxes - but the split-level load floor is an absolute abomination.

It was really a tough decision whether to get another Renegade Trailhawk, or go Bronco.

Swamp Yankee

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Land Rover LR3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My functional needs are few - so I tend to fall back on styling....and because I live in the mountains, the vehicle needs some horsepower. If 4Runner came in a 2-door, I'd be all over it.

Bronco 2-door checks a few boxes - but the split-level load floor is an absolute abomination.

It was really a tough decision whether to get another Renegade Trailhawk, or go Bronco.
I am with you on the load floor. That and the carpet on the back of the sets in an otherwise washout interior are my main disappointments. Really hoping they offer carpet delete before mine is built, and I plan to address the floor level with a drawer unit, I’m ok with that.

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those cross shopping with 4Runners, why not Jeep grand cherokees? I’ve had 4 since 2011, including a pair of trailhawks. Not hard core off road, but capable, and they really nail all the normal driving categories. Smooth, luxurious, powerful etc.

I am choosing bronco now because I prefer body on frame for the poor roads around me and more off roading. When we lived in the suburbs the Jeep GCs worked great.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think that will be the only thing I'll miss in my JL. I was told the split level floor in the 4 door was because of the Ranger framework, IDK, but it does suck.

That being said my neighbor has a 4 Runner, and for a skinny minute I had the idea of buying one. But, as said by the OP and others Toyota has rested on it's laurels for too long. Just look at the Tacoma. Both vehicles are rock solid, but it's 2021. Time for Yota to move up to this century.

@FlyingScot, I understand you dilemma. Good luck on your decision.

Sponsored

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
After owning an unreliable glitchy dodge minivan....no dodge or Jeep’s....but dodge does some nice styling. I wouldn’t buy a GM for the same reasons.

Ford, Toyota, Honda, and Subaru (which I got because Ford took too long on the Bronco and BS.) Honda and Subaru has meh styling.

Next vehicle will be Telluride/Palisade, Explorer timberline, 4Runner (please don’t change the exterior!, but bring the interior into the current century....and up the mpg). Bronco would be a fun vehicle, but no spare cash right now....I want some capability but the Bronco has more than I need sadly.

If they redesign it to have the huge Tacoma grill, ewww.

Last edited:

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have been eyeing the 4runner too, but like many said, I just can't convince myself to spend the money on a car that's so old in design and technology.

Yes, it is true that the drivetrain has been bulletproof and that certainly contributed to the long running cycle, but I just can't get over it.

For those cross shopping with 4Runners, why not Jeep grand cherokees? I’ve had 4 since 2011, including a pair of trailhawks. Not hard core off road, but capable, and they really nail all the normal driving categories. Smooth, luxurious, powerful etc.
I have looked at a GC Trailhawk too, and nearly bought one. Looking at MSRP purely, a base Bronco Sasquatch is 40k, a 4Runner TRD Off-Road is 40k, and a GC Trailhawk comes in at 46k. If the price is more aligned, I certainly wouldn't mind the GC Trailhawk. Unfortunately, the shady dealer I was working with advertised a price around 40k, but wanted to tack on about $4000 worth of BS add-ons, such as nitro filled tires, protection package, etc, and would not back down from that. Ultimately, I had to walk away from the GC Trailhawk because of price.

So back to waiting for my base sasquatch...

Peter

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Loved my old 4Runner. It'd handle anything I threw at it. If they'd improve the handling, engine, and interior, it'd be a truly terrific vehicle. I guess we'll see what the next model update brings.

But regardless, I've made up my mind I want an SUV that can drop the top. Vacation rental vehicles have convinced me that I might as well pony up for some of that fun at home. I don't want a convertible coupe. At this point, my topless SUV options are Wrangler and Bronco. I've driven the Wrangler and decided I'd be happier waiting. I've ridden in a Bronco and was wowed.

So the 4Runner is a great option for a lot of folks. If that's what you decide on, I'm sure you'd love it. But I'm determined to go topless.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My sister (husband, couple kids if high school age) was trying to get a Palisades year or two ago, no luck, I told her to check out the Telluride, they came home in it, love the stuffing out of it. If you want an SUV for 99.5% on road use (which is honestly almost all of them), you would do yourself a disservice if you didn't check it out. The build quality appears phenomenal with an interior to match. 60k everything warranty with powertrain to 100k. Hell of a vehicle for the money for a family man
Sponsored