First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu
Your Bronco Model
Base
Had a lifted jk sport for 5 years, then bought a Jl rubicon unlimited with sky touch top. The sky touch top is awesome, but right now not thats all Jeep has to compete with this new Bronco. I been lurking here for a long time. Never thought I would like the Bronco. I was wrong. Ford hit a home run. Bases loaded home run.

I followed all the jl hype for years. The jl is good. It improved on the jk a lot, especially on the freeway. But, or should i say BUT! it could had been more. Rubicons has 33s(mine still has the 33s). 35s are no problem, in fact with a little spacer lift you can go 37s. But the Bronco can get 35 right off the bat. I like the sky top a LOT. Its great for little rides to town and put the top back. Right now that might be the only thing Jeep has over the Ford. I am curious about the modular top for the 2 door though(i reserved a 2 door)

The look of the Bronco is great. Some might say even cartoonish, but I think it looks unique. So heres one guy Jeep has lost, and I think they will be many more.
I can't bring.myself to trade in my jl for an auto tho. I can't get rid of my manual
Sponsored

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Bronco doesn't have fold-down windshield so that's one hit against it. Sounds like the 2 door doesn't have a soft top at this point, only a hard top.
Love your avatar photo SliderJack. I had an 81' FJ40 in the mid-1990s. Same color. I used to drive around with my beagle on my lap, windshield down & top/doors off, his paws on the wheel, ears kinda floating in the breeze. Freaking dog loved that rig. As a current JL owner, the novelty of putting my windshield down (appetizing at first) has proven to be just that, a novelty. I could do it, but I don't. Why? It doesn't look or feel like my old FJ40 since the windshield frame is still there. As a result, it's just not a factor in my buying algorithm. You may think otherwise, but, from the photo, you have other, better, windshieldless options.

And speaking of FJ40's, man what I wouldn't give for those kick-open side vents on a modern rig. Everyone is all up in arms about the 2.7 not being available with manual transmission and there not being enough colors for the First Edition, but I'm still looking to replicate the poor-man's A/C of the FJ40.

Nate

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Love your avatar photo SliderJack. I had an 81' FJ40 in the mid-1990s. Same color. I used to drive around with my beagle on my lap, windshield down & top/doors off, his paws on the wheel, ears kinda floating in the breeze. Freaking dog loved that rig. As a current JL owner, the novelty of putting my windshield down (appetizing at first) has proven to be just that, a novelty. I could do it, but I don't. Why? It doesn't look or feel like my old FJ40 since the windshield frame is still there. As a result, it's just not a factor in my buying algorithm. You may think otherwise, but, from the photo, you have other, better, windshieldless options.

And speaking of FJ40's, man what I wouldn't give for those kick-open side vents on a modern rig. Everyone is all up in arms about the 2.7 not being available with manual transmission and there not being enough colors for the First Edition, but I'm still looking to replicate the poor-man's A/C of the FJ40.

Nate
Thanks man! Took a few years building it and got it back on the road this year. 2K miles already just tooling around the park, the blue ridge parkway, etc. We love it. My wife likes to go rides in it now where before we'd go on the bike. It's a lot of fun!

Yeah, windshield and skytouch top is the only thing holding me back, a little. But I've wanted a Bronco since I was in highschool...

20200613_074756-01.jpeg

20200523_163906-01.jpeg

20200523_191237-01.jpeg

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Sliderjack: Woah. That is fantastic. I'm jealous, I'm super jealous In fact but also very pleased that you're enjoying it and that she escaped the junk yard. I may circle-back someday. Every few years I get that itch....she still has such a special place in my heart, kinda weirdly so. And yes, what a great couples ride vehicle! Jeez, you're causing me to question my new Bronco decision...

Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Had a lifted jk sport for 5 years, then bought a Jl rubicon unlimited with sky touch top. The sky touch top is awesome, but right now not thats all Jeep has to compete with this new Bronco. I been lurking here for a long time. Never thought I would like the Bronco. I was wrong. Ford hit a home run. Bases loaded home run.

I followed all the jl hype for years. The jl is good. It improved on the jk a lot, especially on the freeway. But, or should i say BUT! it could had been more. Rubicons has 33s(mine still has the 33s). 35s are no problem, in fact with a little spacer lift you can go 37s. But the Bronco can get 35 right off the bat. I like the sky top a LOT. Its great for little rides to town and put the top back. Right now that might be the only thing Jeep has over the Ford. I am curious about the modular top for the 2 door though(i reserved a 2 door)

The look of the Bronco is great. Some might say even cartoonish, but I think it looks unique. So heres one guy Jeep has lost, and I think they will be many more.
HE HAS SEEN THE LIGHT !! WELCOME BROTHER

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not a hard core rock crawler, so I prefer the Bronco's IFS, that is unless Jeep actually sells that 392. That 392 might be enough for me to go back to Jeep's poor quality and wandering steering. (I drove a JKUR for 6 years.)
I had a great idea for Jeep to use in a commercial for the v8 Jeep.
Start with the bronco cruising thru off road canyons, and then we see a V8 powered jeep powering past the bronco, going going and then floop! Off the edge of the canyon.

En Film

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
But what about....*looks around furtively*....Solid Front Axle? *ducks*
One problem for most IFS vehicles is you can't fit a big tire. But we have seen a bronco with 37's and I would guess 38 would work too. So as long as you don't want a 40" or bigger tire your good with the bronco ifs.

The raptor does well with IFS . Mud sand trails IFS is good , but for rock crawling solid axle does win. On the street IFS wins.

With out seeing the trucks on the trail with real owner a lot of this is a guess but for most people the bronco is what they want.

I think the bronco will sell very well. But I think Jeeps will still sell well to. The market is slightly different for each, and Bronco will bring in people who would not have got a jeep. But it will take some sales from jeep and jeep will need to get better and they will like adding a v8.

I hope Toyota, Nissan and Chevy all come out with something to complete. It will take them 5 years but we may be entering a golden age of 4x4 vehicles.

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had an old FJ40 too (four-speed manual), and a 1978 CJ-7 (three-speed manual). Your FJ40 is in a little better condition than mine was! This is an embarrassment, but I was young and poor, but I loved that ol tractor. Note the side vents open :)

Ford Bronco I'm a JL Wrangler Rubicon owner, and I just reserved a Badlands 1975_FJ-40

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been waiting for the reveal to make a decision. It's either the Rubicon (likely with skytouch) or the Bronco. I'm anxious to see more about tops too.

Bronco doesn't have fold-down windshield so that's one hit against it. Sounds like the 2 door doesn't have a soft top at this point, only a hard top.

I'd hope BestTop, or whomever, would make a sunrider to replace the "freedom panels" on the Bronco. Rented a JLU for a trip and while the freedom panels were nice, they took up a lot of room in the back. Sunrider top seems more convenient.

Ford Bronco I'm a JL Wrangler Rubicon owner, and I just reserved a Badlands 1975_FJ-40
Had one on my JT Gladiator and it was fantastic...

Sponsored

ScottW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had an 08 JKU since new, all the normal mods plus an LS 6.0 swap. Love the jeep but I did a reservation for a Badlands with Granger.

I have an F150 with a 3.5 ecoboost and love the truck and engine. I expect the bronco to have all the power, comfort etc of the F150 in a package that will do anything my Jeep will.

JB93

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've been waiting for the reveal to make a decision. It's either the Rubicon (likely with skytouch) or the Bronco. I'm anxious to see more about tops too.

I'd hope BestTop, or whomever, would make a sunrider to replace the "freedom panels" on the Bronco. Rented a JLU for a trip and while the freedom panels were nice, they took up a lot of room in the back. Sunrider top seems more convenient.

With the top in this position it seems like it would be a party favor noise maker? Nice if you are parked under the stars or at low speed. I wish the 2Dr Bronco hard top was modular and you could pull off the front section over the driver and passenger and leave the back half in place or pull both sections. Is that an option somewhere??

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I wish the 2Dr Bronco hard top was modular and you could pull off the front section over the driver and passenger and leave the back half in place or pull both sections. Is that an option somewhere??
Your wish has been granted.

Ford Bronco I'm a JL Wrangler Rubicon owner, and I just reserved a Badlands 1595330236171

Ford Bronco I'm a JL Wrangler Rubicon owner, and I just reserved a Badlands 1595330270748

JB93

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well sheeet.... Do you have to leave it at home or is there a place to store onboard. The Bronco website is a bit weak if you have to decipher from pictures what it does or doesn't do.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well sheeet.... Do you have to leave it at home or is there a place to store onboard. The Bronco website is a bit weak if you have to decipher from pictures what it does or doesn't do.
Since it comes off in two pieces, I imagine you can store it in the back. But yeah, not a lot of details right now.
Sponsored