Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It’s a real thing in that

1. Ford has a written break in procedure for the bronco and

2. Mechanically there absolutely is some breaking in that occurs between mating surfaces in components.

What’s different is that there as many opinions about the best way to “break in” a motor as their are Internet forum users.

The written Ford procedure is basically to not do any sustained highway driving (constant speed/rpm) and no flogging it, for the first 1,000 miles.

If a vehicle isn’t broken in correctly there can be a whole myriad of scary consequences, but usually it’s along the line of mechanical surfaces improperly mating and allowing for increased oil consumption/leaking and/or premature wear of parts deep in a engine you really don’t want to have to replace.
No sustained highway driving? That's going to put a damper on people using it as their daily driver. This will be my first brand new vehicle because I have always bought used, so I had never heard of this. I thought maybe this was a newbie prank or something. :LOL:
Leave it to you to know the answer @ZachDanger ;) Thanks!
Sponsored

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Be nice, no foot, and don't tow for the first 1000 miles. (Testing 0-60 is a no-no.) Doesn't say it, but commonly for about the first 500 miles vary engine speed (i.e., don't set the cruise control for long periods of time).

From page 297 in the manual:

BREAKING-IN
Your vehicle requires a break-in period. For
the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km), avoid driving
at high speeds, heavy braking, aggressive
shifting or using your vehicle to tow. During
this time, your vehicle may exhibit some
unusual driving characteristics.
Thank you for replying. I know it's annoying for everyone to have to get questions from newbies like me. ;)

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Stroopaloop

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC canyon all terrain
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m not sure what you mean? I’d fold my premium twill top back to the first open position and drive 80mph on the interstate without issue. That’s probably no recommended but it never gave me a problem.
Same top would bang a little bit, but those Velcro straps, or 550 cord to tie down the top, no issues with my jkus

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No sustained highway driving? That's going to put a damper on people using it as their daily driver. This will be my first brand new vehicle because I have always bought used, so I had never heard of this. I thought maybe this was a newbie prank or something. :LOL:
This is why I bought from Granger. They’re just over 1,000 miles away from me.

I’m going to go pick it up, and take a sweet 1,000 mile road trip home on the back roads and through the small towns.

When I get home it will have just broken in and I’ll be able to drive anywhere I want without worry.

Sponsored

Cousin Eddie

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a real thing in that

1. Ford has a written break in procedure for the bronco and

2. Mechanically there absolutely is some breaking in that occurs between mating surfaces in components.

What’s different is that there as many opinions about the best way to “break in” a motor as their are Internet forum users.

The written Ford procedure is basically to not do any sustained highway driving (constant speed/rpm) and no flogging it, for the first 1,000 miles.

If a vehicle isn’t broken in correctly there can be a whole myriad of scary consequences, but usually it’s along the line of mechanical surfaces improperly mating and allowing for increased oil consumption/leaking and/or premature wear of parts deep in a engine you really don’t want to have to replace.
Do you know if there is a service recommended after the break in? For example, fluids change (oil, tranny), greasing, etc.?

Jer

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands,2017 F350, 2023 F150L, 1976 K20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford has said in their multitude of emails that the top speed of the Bronco during the 280,000 mile break in period is 35mph. With the top down you are not to ever exceed 3 and 3/4 MPH.
Are you serious, I thought it was a 250,000 mile break in. Now it’s 280k. I’m out, enough is enough!

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s the same break-in procedure for just about every new car. Just vary your speed and throttle input every few minutes and you’ll be fine.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you know if there is a service recommended after the break in? For example, fluids change (oil, tranny), greasing, etc.?
No recommended servicing needed. Normal oil change schedule.
Sponsored