Sponsored

Does anyone have payload and towing capacities for the different trim levels of the new bronco?

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
really hoping this is based on 2.3 and the 2.7 with tow package changes it, would be nice at 5k.
The 2.3 can tow lots in the Ranger. As mentioned, it will not be engine / HP that limits the tow rating of the Bronco.
Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was disappointed in the measly 3500 lb towing capacity. My Polaris General with hard cab loaded with accessories and my trailer are way over that. Then add the Rocky Mountains!
I hate to leave Ford but may have to look elsewhere

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was disappointed in the measly 3500 lb towing capacity. My Polaris General with hard cab loaded with accessories and my trailer are way over that. Then add the Rocky Mountains!
I hate to leave Ford but may have to look elsewhere
The 4Runner is rated for 5k towing, but I'm not sure it would actually deliver a better towing experience than the Bronco. Especially at elevation, the NA V6 is not going to be fast.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you think there will be any optional class III hitch option that may increase the capacity?

BigfootBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra Crewmax, BMW M3, Soon a 2021 Badands 4dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the Bronco 2.7 ecoboost sharing the same motor as the F150? If so the stock F150 2.7 eco boost has a tow rating of 8500lbs. Given the tire size, gearing and lift may affect the rating but I think it will be capable of towing a min 5000lbs. I would love to be able to tow my North River Commander.

Sponsored

skeeter97

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is the Bronco 2.7 ecoboost sharing the same motor as the F150? If so the stock F150 2.7 eco boost has a tow rating of 8500lbs. Given the tire size, gearing and lift may affect the rating but I think it will be capable of towing a min 5000lbs. I would love to be able to tow my North River Commander.
Are you in the PNW? Definitely a PNW boat! I'm hoping they raise it as well, if I can't tow my Weldcraft I'll unfortunately need to look elsewhere. Currently pull it with my Xterra that is rated to tow 5000lbs

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
These numbers are very important to me. I am surprised Ford did not make them available at launch.
As many have said, the tow rating is 3,500 lbs for all trims. Payload capacity is 1,370 lbs. I expect the actual vehicle weight to be in the low 4,000 lb range with a GVWR in the mid 5,000 lb range.

Last edited:

the.nighthawk

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
it is all preliminary information right now, but like others have said, the max tow rating has more to do with suspension, frame, wheelbase, weight, and how the hitch is installed way more than the power and torque. The short wheelbase and suspension are what is limiting the max towing capacity. All of which is proved in the wrangler vs. the gladiator max tow ratings with the same engines and transmissions

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

with the 2 door and 4 door having the same rating my vote is it is a preliminary number. Would be sweet to see 3500 for the 2 door and 4,000-4,500 for the 4 door given the longer wheelbase.

Also depends on the trim I would imagine as well. A stock Black Diamond with 32's is probably going to be more tow friendly than a badlands with Sasquatch as the tires and upgraded HOSS will probably impact the tow rating negatively.

The only thing I see with ford keeping it 3,500 is the sheer variation and available options. Keep it to the LCD across the model line and call it done.

BigfootBronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra Crewmax, BMW M3, Soon a 2021 Badands 4dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you in the PNW? Definitely a PNW boat! I'm hoping they raise it as well, if I can't tow my Weldcraft I'll unfortunately need to look elsewhere. Currently pull it with my Xterra that is rated to tow 5000lbs
Yes I am. Located outside Portland on the west side.

Sponsored

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
more towing means stiffer suspension, so its not without its sacrifices.

realistically, itll tow 4000lbs anyway, might not want to go through the rockies for 500miles... but itll get the boat out of the launch.
What it'll tow and what it's rated for are 2 different things... it'll probably move 10,000 lbs better than an early 90s f250... but the fact of the matter is, at 3600lbs if you get in a wreck, your insurance is gonna take one look at it and tell ya good luck.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it is all preliminary information right now, but like others have said, the max tow rating has more to do with suspension, frame, wheelbase, weight, and how the hitch is installed way more than the power and torque. The short wheelbase and suspension are what is limiting the max towing capacity. All of which is proved in the wrangler vs. the gladiator max tow ratings with the same engines and transmissions

what do you suppose is the limitation??

the new defender 90 with a similar horsepower and wheelbase is rated at over 8000#
and my long departed 96 disco (with a wheel base similar to the 2 dr bronco) was rated at 5500# high range and 7700# low range. with a measly 180 hp, it wasn't fast when towing.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what do you suppose is the limitation??

the new defender 90 with a similar horsepower and wheelbase is rated at over 8000#
and my long departed 96 disco (with a wheel base similar to the 2 dr bronco) was rated at 5500# high range and 7700# low range. with a measly 180 hp, it wasn't fast when towing.
First and foremost, the Bronco so far is only listed with a Class II hitch, which is itself only rated for 3,500lbs.

Ford Bronco Does anyone have payload and towing capacities for the different trim levels of the new bronco? Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 10.34.42

A Class III hitch would be needed for them to up the capacity past 3,500. (I'm hoping to see a class III option offered with a subsequent increase in capacity.)

Last edited:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First and foremost, the Bronco so far is only listed with a Class II hitch, which is limited to 3,500lbs.

Ford Bronco Does anyone have payload and towing capacities for the different trim levels of the new bronco? Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 10.34.42

A Class III hitch would be needed for them to up the capacity past 3,500. (I'm hoping to see a class III option offered with a subsequent increase in capacity.)
damn! my hitch mounted bike rack is sized for class III !

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

damn! my hitch mounted bike rack is sized for class III !
They make adapters. I've towed flat trailers with 2 5/16 balls with my Outback....

There has been lots of chatter that the offroad suspension is crap for towing and the towing suspension is crap for offroad ......Which explains Jeeps low tow rating also.....Want Offroad, get a Bronco....... need to tow, get the Ranger....7500lbs as i recall.
Sponsored