Sponsored

Will Ford Release a Power Pack Tune for the 2.3L Bronco? (Still Trying to Justify Going Manual)

Cactus Jack

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
How likely is Ford to give Bronco a Ford Performance Power Pack Tune?
They've done it before with the Ranger and it shows decent gains in horsepower & torque.

If this is the case, one could argue that a tuned 2.3L Manual Bronco would make almost the same power as a stock 2.7L. I so badly want the manual transmission, but after driving both manual and 2.7 auto, I want the power of the 2.7.

If Ford were to release a tune for the 2.3 (Like the graph shows below) that would change everything.

Here is a link to Ford Performance for the Ranger 2.3L tune: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-REB

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 3.29.56 PM.png
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

How likely is Ford to give Bronco a Ford Performance Power Pack Tune?
They've done it before with the Ranger and it shows decent gains in horsepower & torque.

If this is the case, one could argue that a tuned 2.3L Manual Bronco would make almost the same power as a stock 2.7L. I so badly want the manual transmission, but after driving both manual and 2.7 auto, I want the power of the 2.7.

If Ford were to release a tune for the 2.3 (Like the graph shows below) that would change everything.

Here is a link to Ford Performance for the Ranger 2.3L tune: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-REB

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 3.29.56 PM.png
Would it matter what the power curve looked like after the tune?

Would you rather this:
__/---------------
Or this:

........../-
____/

🤷

2021badlands bronco bob

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We can only hope at this point. Hoping about anything about the bronco is quite the gamble at this point. I’m with you ....if.... ford comes up with a tune for this 2.3 Im going to stay with the 2.3 if not then it will be the 2.7 . Time will tell. 😳

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Above the graph it says "Tuned vs Stock." Under the graph it shows Tuned only.
Ford Bronco Will Ford Release a Power Pack Tune for the 2.3L Bronco? (Still Trying to Justify Going Manual) 1626032323554

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If the 2.3L can be tuned to be equal to the 2.7, then it stands to reason the 2.7 can be tuned to be like a 3.6. Why push an engine that is already providing more power and torque than any previous Gen factory Bronco past it’s limit? Is the drive to have more HP just a status thing? How much is enough? Is there ever enough? I don’t get it. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco Will Ford Release a Power Pack Tune for the 2.3L Bronco? (Still Trying to Justify Going Manual) 0500139C-9534-4AE3-BCF3-F4EEEAC63744

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where are you getting these numbers? Both say "tuned" on the OP post but that is clearly not the case.

Tuned 2.3
Ford Bronco Will Ford Release a Power Pack Tune for the 2.3L Bronco? (Still Trying to Justify Going Manual) 4E75863B-94AD-435E-8A11-1BF5A25C26CB

Tuned 2.7
Ford Bronco Will Ford Release a Power Pack Tune for the 2.3L Bronco? (Still Trying to Justify Going Manual) FFB412D8-8321-4F56-BC8E-FB7C718CFE65

A dyno graph is far more telling than "peak" numbers on a bar graph.

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If the 2.3L can be tuned to be equal to the 2.7, then it stands to reason the 2.7 can be tuned to be like a 3.6. Why push an engine that is already providing more power and torque than any previous Gen factory Bronco past it’s limit? Is the drive to have more HP just a status thing? How much is enough? Is there ever enough? I don’t get it. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco Will Ford Release a Power Pack Tune for the 2.3L Bronco? (Still Trying to Justify Going Manual) FFB412D8-8321-4F56-BC8E-FB7C718CFE65
Who cares what people want to do to their cars??

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

0500139C-9534-4AE3-BCF3-F4EEEAC63744.jpeg
I currently drive the 2.3L in the Ranger Tremor with the tune.
Amazing engine but its base horse power at idle before the turbo spools is about.. 50? Makes for REALLY slow starts if the turbos aren't already spooled. I ran into this issue accelerating after a red lights and it drove me crazy. Pedal to the floor and you limp off the line for the first second or so before the turbo spools, all in the name of efficiency. The 2.7 is a twin turbo so it does not have this issue to nearly the same extent. Same with the 3.0 twin turbo in my Audi Q7.. Amazing power off the line AND at the high end due to proper tuning and two turbos.

Tuning the engine gives it a more responsive power band on the low end, not just overall. You gotta check the dyno graphs to see but it varies per engine and tune.

This is an example:
Ford Bronco Will Ford Release a Power Pack Tune for the 2.3L Bronco? (Still Trying to Justify Going Manual) 1626035129172

The dotted lines are the tune. You can see a whole lot more power is available on the lower RPM side of the graph, which makes off-roading SO much better. More control.

This helps a LOT off road as well, as you can feather the throttle (much needed with the 3.73 gear ratio) and get over the obstacles with a lot more control.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

0500139C-9534-4AE3-BCF3-F4EEEAC63744.jpeg
I currently drive the 2.3L in the Ranger Tremor with the tune.
Amazing engine but its base horse power at idle before the turbo spools is about.. 50? Makes for REALLY slow starts if the turbo isn't already spooled. I ran into this issue accelerating after a red light and it drove me crazy. Pedal to the floor and you limp off the line for the first second or so before the turbo spools, all in the name of efficiency.

Tuning the engine gives it a more responsive power band on the low end, not just overall. You gotta check the dyno graphs to see but it varies per engine and tune.

This is an example:
1626035129172.png

The dotted lines are the tune. You can see a whole lot more power is available on the lower RPM side of the graph, which makes off-roading SO much better. More control.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

a stuffed turbo and a larger intercooler, maybe running e-85, or using water injection and a tune... but i am pretty sure any of that stuff will void a warranty...

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
a stuffed turbo and a larger intercooler, maybe running e-85, or using water injection and a tune... but i am pretty sure any of that stuff will void a warranty...
Seriously why do you need any of those things besides a tune? Tunes from 5 Star will net 75+ on all factory components 🤷🏻‍♂️

Water injection 🤣 bigger intercooler 🤣
Sponsored