Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
5k miles is 14 months??
Same boat. It takes me well over a year to put 5k miles. And bronco will probably be even longer since my wife likely won’t touch it. I try to not wait more than 12 months for an oil change.

For me the biggest upkeep is making sure I run it often enough so the battery won’t die and the mechanicals stay lubricated since my car sits for 2 weeks straight fairly regularly.
Sponsored

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Modern engines and the associate oil can easily go 20K miles. Therefore, the 10K oil change is more than adequate under normal driving conditions. Any of you certified in Tribology?

For those of you who insist on 3,000 mile changes, Do your change your points and plugs every 12K?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Modern engines and the associate oil can easily go 20K miles. Therefore, the 10K oil change is more than adequate under normal driving conditions. Any of you certified in Tribology?

For those of you who insist on 3,000 mile changes, Do your change your points and plugs every 12K?
Man 20k would evenake.me nervous. With the turbos the oil is under extra stress...but who knows...I may do a few 5k ones and then send a sample to Blacklabs, specifically asking if their findings would support an additional 5k with turbos.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Man 20k would evenake.me nervous. With the turbos the oil is under extra stress...but who knows...I may do a few 5k ones and then send a sample to Blacklabs, specifically asking if their findings would support an additional 5k with turbos.
Do EB TTs use oil for cooling and lube or just lube? The 3.5 at least uses water cooling right

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
First one at about 2500, then every 4500-5K, full synthetic. It's really hot in South Florida. I do my own oil changes.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I know there were a lot of personal opinions in this thread - but, now that there have been a few deliveries- what’s the consensus on first oil change? Just after break-in or allow another 1k with factory oil?
We’re going out of town with it next weekend and it determines whether I get it done before or after the trip.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know there were a lot of personal opinions in this thread - but, now that there have been a few deliveries- what’s the consensus on first oil change? Just after break-in or allow another 1k with factory oil?
We’re going out of town with it next weekend and it determines whether I get it done before or after the trip.
Unless the owners manual specifically says it needs to be changed super early, I'm not changing mine until the normal 5k

Now if you have at least a couple k already on it before your trip, and you plan on driving it hard or putting another 3 during the trip...then before would be the better option.

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Synthetic blend is a waste of money. I forget what the minimum requirement is but, semi synthetic only has to be something like 10-20% synthetic to market it as semi-synthetic. Either got full dino or synthetic. I'll stick to the severe service oil drain owners manual recommendation using 100% synthetic and not Full Synthetic as there is a difference. ()

Last edited:

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Full synthetic every 5K. Ecoboosts like clean oil. Plenty of real world info to back this up, it’s cheap insurance. 7500-10K changes on Ecoboosts isn’t wise but do what you want with your Bronco…

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

3-5k or at least once a year. LOF is too cheap to do. Anyone doing the full synthetic thing….I have no issues with full syn. Ford has explicitly said the use of full syn does not relieve you from following their oil intervals. Don’t shoot the messenger here and I’m not going to debate or defend their position. Just putting it out there for consideration.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unless the owners manual specifically says it needs to be changed super early, I'm not changing mine until the normal 5k

Now if you have at least a couple k already on it before your trip, and you plan on driving it hard or putting another 3 during the trip...then before would be the better option.
I was wondering why some were suggesting to change it so soon if the factory oil has such important components. I’ve never owned a brand new vehicle before.