First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great topic. This post is not about to do or not to do, it is about the positive crankcase ventilation temperature AND ambient temp combo. I live where the sun is about 15 feet over my head and I wonder how important it is to control the temperature of the catch can. I mean, if it does not cool down to some extent won't a portion pass on thru as vapor and not be collected?

Pic showing heat shielding of a catch can from quick google search - I have no clue about their product. Attempt is to add some value to the topic.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/catch-can-heat-shield

1626137432161.png
The oil is well over 200 degrees, even higher with a Turbo, but even in places like Phoenix the separator is going to at least get most of the oil out of the vapor...with the high heat of the oil and underhood temps, and the short transit time of the vapors through the system from valve cover to can, the can would have to be chilled to make any real difference...and not sure even then just how significant the difference would be? I just know that driving here in SoCal, on mountain passes like through Tahoe the other day when it was in the 90s, that on only after a 1500 mile interval when I drained the can I got several ounces of oil out...oil that would have gone directly to the Turbo vanes/intake manifold and would have contributed to coking/sludge/unsavory stuff in general. Catch cans are instant gratification...
Sponsored

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

i
Great topic. This post is not about to do or not to do, it is about the positive crankcase ventilation temperature AND ambient temp combo. I live where the sun is about 15 feet over my head and I wonder how important it is to control the temperature of the catch can. I mean, if it does not cool down to some extent won't a portion pass on thru as vapor and not be collected?

Pic showing heat shielding of a catch can from quick google search - I have no clue about their product. Attempt is to add some value to the topic.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/catch-can-heat-shield

1626137432161.png
I live in the same neck of the woods so i know what you mean, but if your engine bay temps go beyond 240 to 250 F, then I would say you got some bigger issues than heating up the waste oil in the catch can

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I clean it out every time I change the oil. It's about every 10k miles for me which is about every 2 months. I've got 268k miles on my 2016 F150.
That is some impressive mileage. Do you remember the brand that you went with?

Sponsored

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i

I live in the same neck of the woods so i know what you mean, but if your engine bay temps go beyond 240 to 250 F, then I would say you got some bigger issues than heating up the waste oil in the catch can
My current off roader has a V8 with wrapped headers and fuel lines. Gets crazy hot everywhere. Probably won't matter with the Bronco but something I think about instantly when I see an engine, especially this time of year!

I will getting an AMB/Badlands/Sasquatch in a few weeks (picking up outside AZ), hope to see you on the trails!

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I looked at the Mishimoto site and I couldn't find anything for the 2.7 F150 in the catch cans. I don't see the double can set up either! is is discontinued?

OP
OP
buzpro

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My current off roader has a V8 with wrapped headers and fuel lines. Gets crazy hot everywhere. Probably won't matter with the Bronco but something I think about instantly when I see an engine, especially this time of year!

I will getting an AMB/Badlands/Sasquatch in a few weeks (picking up outside AZ), hope to see you on the trails!
I'm supposed to get mine in a few weeks too but who knows, with as many times as Ford has moved me. What part of town are you at?

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm supposed to get mine in a few weeks too but who knows, with as many times as Ford has moved me. What part of town are you at?
Ahwatukee. You?

Phoenix

Last edited:

Sponsored

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like they are tooling up for it...
Seems that way. Personally I’m hoping Radium puts out something. Really like my current setup from them. Only thing I’d add is the valves to let them drain into the oil pan.
Sponsored