Sponsored

Issues / glitches during 2021 Bronco startup -- "Check brakes," "trail turn assist unavailable," and "hill assist unavailable." error messages

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So I had the doors off today, and drovr around 75 miles total. Around lunch, I jumped in the Bronco and started it up. It kicked "Check brakes," "trail turn assist unavailable," and "hill assist unavailable." The traction control may have faulted too, along with the ABS. I turned it off, waited about ten seconds, and turned it back on. It started fine, but the E brake was engaged. I disengaged it and all was fine. It did it one other time, out of probably 10 startups total.

I wonder if the fault is in the door electrical connections. Maybe the system senses the doors are off and it sends a fault. The other glitches I have read reset when the doors were opened, and mine has only done it with doors off.

Overall, not a huge deal, and probably to be expected with a new and first-year vehicle.
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Same errors as the infamous video going around of the GOAT failure with a completely different cause and in a completely different situation.

I think there is a gremlin in the system pulling wires.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I had the doors off today, and drovr around 75 miles total. Around lunch, I jumped in the Bronco and started it up. It kicked "Check brakes," "trail turn assist unavailable," and "hill assist unavailable." The traction control may have faulted too, along with the ABS. I turned it off, waited about ten seconds, and turned it back on. It started fine, but the E brake was engaged. I disengaged it and all was fine. It did it one other time, out of probably 10 startups total.

I wonder if the fault is in the door electrical connections. Maybe the system senses the doors are off and it sends a fault. The other glitches I have read reset when the doors were opened, and mine has only done it with doors off.

Overall, not a huge deal, and probably to be expected with a new and first-year vehicle.
NOT NORMAL. PM me your VIN if you're OK with me checking to see if there are any codes popping up in OASIS. May have something to do with e-brake engaged but if you didn't engage it, that's a problem.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for beta testing the Bronco. (y) You have eight months or so to get all the bugs out of it before they build mine (I hope). 😁

Sponsored

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Parking brake.

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thanks for beta testing the Bronco. (y) You have eight months or so to get all the bugs out of it before they build mine (I hope). 😁
My pleasure!

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't know what the purpose of this procedure is but the FORD door removal video says to follow this procedure:
push the start/stop button with your foot off the brake
lower the windows
then push start/stop again after lowering the windows (again with foot off the brake)
then disconnect the doors

Then after reconnecting the doors, push start/stop again with the foot of the brake.

I'm not saying many Bronco owners will know this procedure, remember this procedure or follow this procedure. But I'm wondering if the warnings and error messages are a result of not following it.
Could be I suppose. But two things give me pause:

1. I've taken off the doors one other time without doing the above and got no faults.

2. It happened after maybe the 4th startup.

2021badlands bronco bob

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You are not..alone on this I’ve seen some of this on YouTube already.. Please keep us updated 😳""..... good luck

khatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

1. I've taken off the doors one other time without doing the above and got no faults.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think the software should require procedures like this. At most, an indicator light that a door is disconnected would be fine. And the software sounds buggy based on the inconsistency.

Sponsored

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

For some reason I'm thinking of my old NES where you'd have to blow on the cartridge, tap it three times and then gently close the door. I know there is at least one other person on this forum that will get that reference...

The controllers were indestructible but don't you dare glance at the system.

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All good it will get an over the air update soon to fix itself;)

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So @flip was able to read my codes via his online voodoo 😂

Recurring ABS fault. I'll get it checked out.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

lower the windows
then push start/stop again after lowering the windows (again with foot off the brake)
The point of this procedure is for nothing more than to turn on/off accessory power to lower the windows.

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't know what the purpose of this procedure is but the FORD door removal video says to follow this procedure:
lower the windows

Then after reconnecting the doors, push start/stop again with the foot of the brake.

I'm not saying many Bronco owners will know this procedure, remember this procedure or follow this procedure. But I'm wondering if the warnings and error messages are a result of not following it.
that sounds like just providing power to the windows. and foot off the brake so you don't accidentally start the engine.
Sponsored