First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bronco Brand Manager Esteban Plaza-Jennings told BN that the 10R60 is more than capable of handling the Bronco’s power output, as the trans is rated at 406lb-ft with the 2.3L engine and 424lb-ft with the 2.7L engine. For reference, the 2.3L engine is projected to produce 310lb-ft of torque, while the 2.7L will produce 400lb-ft.

That's not as comforting as they think it is.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

In other words, put a tune on your Bronco engine and risk blowing up the transmission?
Agreed...but what is the norm? I never cared enough to research but typically how much of a buffer do automatics have?

Now in a sports car, or some vehicle specifically designed for towing or carrying heavy loads, I could see some decent buffering.

I've just always felt that once you start tweaking an engine, it all just comes with the territory and knowing you are abusing other parts of the running gear as a trade-off.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco Brand Manager Esteban Plaza-Jennings told BN that the 10R60 is more than capable of handling the Bronco’s power output, as the trans is rated at 406lb-ft with the 2.3L engine and 424lb-ft with the 2.7L engine. For reference, the 2.3L engine is projected to produce 310lb-ft of torque, while the 2.7L will produce 400lb-ft.

That's not as comforting as they think it is.
Yeah, and the author couldn’t even get the specs right…the 2.7 has 415lbs of torque…almost zero margin for error. I don’t see how Ford can even offer factory tunes for these as anything will put it above the stated limit.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Even before this issue, the two
Yeah, and the author couldn’t even get the specs right…the 2.7 has 415lbs of torque…almost zero margin for error. I don’t see how Ford can even offer factory tunes for these as anything will put it above the stated limit.
Yeah I bet the current 2.3 plan stays put with the 2.3 OEM performance tune and the 2.7 drops off. I had two paths originally before this trans swap, either get a 2.3 with the OEM tune or just get the 2.7 and not tune it. I went 2.7 as I don't think it needs a tune with the Bronco at current specs and capability, yeah more is always better but not always needed.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
With an auto the OEM tunes will probably limit torque to preserve the transmission. I don't know the particulars of what aftermarket tunes will be capable of, but I'm sure they'll figure out a way to break transmission.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was trying to look up some specs on the new Mustang GT. Don't quote me, but seems like Ford put a 420+ torque motor in it with an Auto Transmission only rated at 380 and now there are law suites about tranny issues.

So the fact that Ford is putting in a Tranny that is rated Higher (if only a bit) in a non-sports car is a big step for them :)

Side note...Ford needs to rethink their Engine + Tranny engineering team.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Agreed. This is stupid. A couple mods to make it breathe better could be too much, if those torque limits are true.
This kind of bullshit may make me switch my order to the 2.3 and manual.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used to work at a facility that made the one way clutch power transfer rolling element for both the R60 and R80 transmissions. What I can tell you is, we made way more of the R80 part and there are WAY less internal splines on the R60 part. Why? No idea... Maybe this is s'pose to be engineered point of failure?
An interesting design feature of these splines... There are radial channels in the ID to catch and hold metal chips as the splines are designed to cut into the mating shaft.

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I used to work at a facility that made the one way clutch power transfer rolling element for both the R60 and R80 transmissions. What I can tell you is, we made way more of the R80 part and there are WAY less internal splines on the R60 part. Why? No idea... Maybe this is s'pose to be engineered point of failure?
An interesting design feature of these splines... There are radial channels in the ID to catch and hold metal chips as the splines are designed to cut into the mating shaft.
ELI5?

RednWhite89

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How is Hennessy pulling off their new offering?

"The all-new Hennessey VelociRaptor 400 Bronco boasts 405 bhp at 5,700 rpm and 503 lb-ft torque at 3,900 rpm as a result of comprehensive reworking by the experts at Hennessey."

Genuinely curious, as there is no mention of any upgrades to trans:

SPECIFICATIONS: VELOCIRAPTOR 400 BRONCO
• Engine Management Software Upgrade
• Upgraded Exhaust System
• High-Flow Air Induction System

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How is Hennessy pulling off their new offering?

"The all-new Hennessey VelociRaptor 400 Bronco boasts 405 bhp at 5,700 rpm and 503 lb-ft torque at 3,900 rpm as a result of comprehensive reworking by the experts at Hennessey."

Genuinely curious, as there is no mention of any upgrades to trans:

SPECIFICATIONS: VELOCIRAPTOR 400 BRONCO
• Engine Management Software Upgrade
• Upgraded Exhaust System
• High-Flow Air Induction System
This was my first thought as well when I saw this. I guess they either don't mind blowing up transmissions, or they are confident it is stout enough to handle it.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, this is suspect for sure. I would like to hear what Hennessy has to say about it. I’d really like to know what the actual failure point is. I hear that the newer R60 is different. I guess time will tell. But my goal for this was 500hp/500tq.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Linamar?
Sponsored