First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Enough about bad roofs, late scheduling, and multi-week gate holds to check the roof panels, okay? The fine men and women of MAP are ramping up at an exciting pace to get as many of your builds out the door as possible.

The current pace of production is seeing nearly 900 units daily roll off of final assembly as we sit just 2 weeks away from "full blend" line speed. That 900 figure is split between Bronco and Ranger, currently running about a 60/40 split. Bronco's body shop has been pushing out as many as 300 rigs per shift, as they are running ahead of final a bit on speed. Units are only going to paint when there is room for them on final after, so there will be some ebb and flow here.

We've all been let down by the issues surrounding the MIC tops - my own included - and I have to believe that there is a fix in the works. All I can say for certain is that issues are being documented thoroughly and I expect some customer-facing movement on this soon.

As you've seen, production mix for the coming months is shifting outside of demand for hard tops (and all 2 door units). There was optimism in the last 6 weeks when output at the Plymouth plant ticked up a bit, but the multiple issues with delivered roof units has popped that balloon quite quickly. I can't say for sure what the final mix will be, but dealers are being asked to program retail stock builds (all 4 door soft tops, mostly base and Big Bend trims) so that MAP has a pool of backup builds in case they run out of buildable units. They will NOT build appreciable stock units IF there are buildable customer units in the queue. It's just a matter of what they're able to build.

IF you're lucky enough to get a hard top Bronco delivered, document the heck out of your roof at delivery. Take pictures of the entire inside and outside in detail. Note any inconsistencies - however small - so the dealer has record of it for when a solution becomes available.

The more I hear from my folks and spend time watching how my roof is reacting to everyday use, it's becoming sadly apparent that the design might only work if manufacturing were 100% perfect.. and even then it's iffy. Specifically, the raw edges where all 3 layers are cross-sectioned is just begging for material loss from the core (mine has happened in a pretty dramatic fashion in the last 3 weeks), leaving little cavities where water can accumulate and cause havoc when the weather shifts.

Annoying roof issues aside - that I'm confident Ford will address - these rigs are sweet. They're fun an engaging to drive, they're comfortable to live with, they do what you ask them to without any protest, and they catch the eye of everyone around you.
I appreciate the update as I have an OBX order that includes all the hindered parts (hdtop, tow pckg, and more). My production date was moved from 7/12 to 8/2, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. I appreciate the rec to document EVERYTHING on the MIC roof when I take delivery. I’m excited as can be about this vehicle sitting in my garage soon.

Firefight911

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 4-door Wildtrak, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I appreciate all the information. Too bad that Ford direct isn't as good at this. I am sticking out for as long as I can. Let's see, I sold my house, moved into an apartment while the new one was being built from the ground up, we close on this new house 2600 miles away (CA to SC) on July 28th, my daughter started fourth grade, finished fourth grade, took up trap shooting, learned enough to compete, won multiple medals and took a couple of first places. At this rate, I may have to consider my Bronco a retirement gift...to myself...IF it arrives by the time I retire next year. Then again, maybe it will be a wedding gift for my daughter...

Hoping they sort the tops soon and can get them properly produced. My fully loaded Wildtrak is a long time away considering the complete list of pretty much every deadly sin there is on my build.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
IF you're lucky enough to get a hard top Bronco delivered, document the heck out of your roof at delivery. Take pictures of the entire inside and outside in detail. Note any inconsistencies - however small - so the dealer has record of it for when a solution becomes available.
So much for my 2 Aug 2021 build week... I guess I will find out soon that I am being bumped. I've only been bumped once, so I really don't get to complain, yet...

I really don't care about the top being perfect on delivery as long as Ford makes it right in the end. I know that others do care, and I wouldn't imagine asking them to accept anything less.

Thanks for the good information, I know I appreciate all the information (good or bad news).

Sponsored

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Enough about bad roofs, late scheduling, and multi-week gate holds to check the roof panels, okay? The fine men and women of MAP are ramping up at an exciting pace to get as many of your builds out the door as possible.

The current pace of production is seeing nearly 900 units daily roll off of final assembly as we sit just 2 weeks away from "full blend" line speed. That 900 figure is split between Bronco and Ranger, currently running about a 60/40 split. Bronco's body shop has been pushing out as many as 300 rigs per shift, as they are running ahead of final a bit on speed. Units are only going to paint when there is room for them on final after, so there will be some ebb and flow here.

We've all been let down by the issues surrounding the MIC tops - my own included - and I have to believe that there is a fix in the works. All I can say for certain is that issues are being documented thoroughly and I expect some customer-facing movement on this soon.

As you've seen, production mix for the coming months is shifting outside of demand for hard tops (and all 2 door units). There was optimism in the last 6 weeks when output at the Plymouth plant ticked up a bit, but the multiple issues with delivered roof units has popped that balloon quite quickly. I can't say for sure what the final mix will be, but dealers are being asked to program retail stock builds (all 4 door soft tops, mostly base and Big Bend trims) so that MAP has a pool of backup builds in case they run out of buildable units. They will NOT build appreciable stock units IF there are buildable customer units in the queue. It's just a matter of what they're able to build.

The more I hear from my folks and spend time watching how my roof is reacting to everyday use, it's becoming sadly apparent that the design might only work if manufacturing were 100% perfect.. and even then it's iffy. Specifically, the raw edges where all 3 layers are cross-sectioned is just begging for material loss from the core (mine has happened in a pretty dramatic fashion in the last 3 weeks), leaving little cavities where water can accumulate and cause havoc when the weather shifts.

Annoying roof issues aside - that I'm confident Ford will address - these rigs are sweet. They're fun an engaging to drive, they're comfortable to live with, they do what you ask them to without any protest, and they catch the eye of everyone around you.
Thank you Ross for the update. Any insight on if its a design flaw or a manufacturer issue???

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

UberGadgetFreak

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE Bronco 22 FE Mav, 23 Mav Tremor, 03 Marauder
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I like the updates. I still don't have a build date, but being a First Edition, it should be scheduled soon. My dealership said it was still Pri 19 on Friday, but they probably didn't actually check. I have to call the Bronco line tomorrow. Hope they tell me something different. I am kind of glad mine is delayed so if and when it arrives, I hope to be lucky enough to get a better-built top.

It is nice to know what's going on, what I need to do to help Ford build em better going forward, and to see things coming into focus to make the dreams come true for all of us. Thank you tremendously for sharing the info,.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base

Thank you for the news!!

Do you have the exact day of JOB1 Balance out and date of the JOB2. Asking because of the pre-kit for soft top.

I have my order on 99 until I see they're going to start with September scheduling.

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you, Ross! Really appreciate the insight. You are the voice of reason and I always enjoy reading your posts.

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ross final note. I think Ford should really consider shipping all and I mean all Broncos with soft tops until the hard top is fully fixed. Many people have worked so very hard to produce a successful product to be spoiled by an inferior Mic top. Thanks again Ross for the positive info you provide us here at 6g.

OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do you know if they will favor producing more 2 door MIC tops in the capacity that they do have since that is our only option or are 2 door builds simply getting pushed back until the issues can be resolved?

Also we are so lucky to have you as a forum member! Thanks for everything you do and all the tedious questions you answer!
I have no reliable info on what the split will be coming out of Plymouth on any given day. The issues are varied as well, with both human input and robotic problems to be blamed.

Thanks for the update , glad to see that speed is ramping up.

Have you heard any news about the bronco sports? I have an order in RCM purgatory, sent a DM not sure you saw it or not.
Sorry if I missed your message, my inbox has been a bit of a shitshow lately. I'm trying to help as many as possible There are a ton of Bronco Sports parked awaiting chips with more coming off the line every day. When chips were diverted to Dearborn and MAP it stranded a lot of other units. The fix is on the way, so we'll see how quickly they can clear the lots.

The part that concerns me is the IF I'm lucky to get a hard top when I have no way of changing it now. Built status was June 22nd!
If I were a betting man, I'd put a pint down that your roof was tagged and will be fitted with a replacement.

Thank you Ross for the update. Any insight on if its a design flaw or a manufacturer issue???
With all that I've been told (much of which I've shared with you, but certainly not all), the part is very difficult to manufacture under ideal conditions, and some of the final design designs - notably the raw exposed cut edges - are questionable.

That Webasto is an absolute dumpster fire (and that's insulting to campus parties down the street at THE Ohio State University) just took a small issue and turned it nuclear.

Thank you for the news!!

Do you have the exact day of JOB1 Balance out and date of the JOB2. Asking because of the pre-kit for soft top.

I have my order on 99 until I see they're going to start with September scheduling.
I don't have the exact date (and I've heard a few) but I'm sure we'll hear something firm soon.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks Ross, I know this wasn’t good news but as has Been said before all most of us want is some information. If Ford doesn’t offer you a job as head of their press department they are fool’s.

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Having a 8/11 build and a september build, I am dreading a poor quality hardtop
Sponsored