Sponsored

Am i the only person who wants to see an aux fuel tank?

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So a couple times a year, I go hunting for a week-10 days, sometimes in more remote areas (2 hours from a gas station). Extended range would be a really really nice feature for me. I have never seen it mentioned, and I think it would be awesome. With the already kind limited cargo space, especially on the 2 door (which is what I think I want) i would really like to see an option for a big tank. Or an auxiliary tank.
Right there with ya on that one. I’m in the early stages of planning an Alaska hunt in the brooks range as a present for my friend when he retires from the military in a few years. I would ship the bronco up and drive it to the brooks range and i would love if I could do it with out bring like 5 or more gas cans with us
Sponsored

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah, I'm thinking that's about the only real choice. The chance of them adding capacity is real real slim.
Perfect for camping and out in deep trails

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

smann93

First Edition
First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Raptor, 2018 F150 Regular Cab
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yes... you need to add a poll option to your post. ?

OP
OP
pat86323

pat86323

Badlands
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 bronco xlt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Perfect for camping and out in deep trails
The big issues with a system like that I have are as follows. That looks real spendy, I dont know what a gas can rig like that would cost, but it does not look cheap. I personally dont like the way it looks. I dont want a bunch of crap hanging all over my vehicle.

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The big issues with a system like that I have are as follows. That looks real spendy, I dont know what a gas can rig like that would cost, but it does not look cheap. I personally dont like the way it looks. I dont want a bunch of crap hanging all over my vehicle.
You always need the accessories or you will not be well prepared ?

IMG_2362.JPG

OP
OP
pat86323

pat86323

Badlands
First Name
Patric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 bronco xlt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You always need the accessories or you will not be well prepared ?

Ford Bronco Am i the only person who wants to see an aux fuel tank? IMG_2362.JPG
Lol, I like an accessory as much as the next guy, but that just ain't my style. I'll figure something out I'm sure

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is spendy but as an alternative to an extended tank from factory, it's definitely cheaper. If we're talking one option vs another for extra gas.

Sponsored

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is spendy but as an alternative to an extended tank from factory, it's definitely cheaper. If we're talking one option vs another for extra gas.
Maybe I'm nuts but I'm a semi-retired engineer waiting on my Bronco with a lot of time to kill.
My wife and I would love to drive the Bronco to Alaska to see a buddy of mine that lives in Sitka.
So I've been working on an auxiliary tank for the Bronco. I've measured and crawled around one my dealership had on the lot and I think there is enough room for a 10 gallon tank on the 2-door and a 13 gallon tank on the 4-door.
You would have to tie into the existing tank so as to only have one fill tube.
I figure a 2" cross line, protected by a channel (suspension allows it over the drive shaft)and a 1/4" breather line would suffice (breather would also tie back into the OEM tank).
Frame mounted brackets, a bash plate and a heat shield would be required.
And a custom tank with a 2" NPT and a 1/4" NPT weld flange.
I have researched bolted, gasketed bulk head flanges that will work great if the fuel pump installation hole is big enough to get them into the tank.
Otherwise an HDPE face flange using a loc-tite HDPE and o-rings to seal the mounting bolt holes would also work. How dumb is it to cut up the OEM tank and add another one?
Of course this won't meet NHTSA standards and would void the Ford Warranty but hey it's my Bronco and I might get an extra 200 miles of range.
By the time I get my Bronco maybe I'll come to my senses, than again maybe not.

Gene Dios

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I'm nuts but I'm a semi-retired engineer waiting on my Bronco with a lot of time to kill.
My wife and I would love to drive the Bronco to Alaska to see a buddy of mine that lives in Sitka.
So I've been working on an auxiliary tank for the Bronco. I've measured and crawled around one my dealership had on the lot and I think there is enough room for a 10 gallon tank on the 2-door and a 13 gallon tank on the 4-door.
You would have to tie into the existing tank so as to only have one fill tube.
I figure a 2" cross line, protected by a channel (suspension allows it over the drive shaft)and a 1/4" breather line would suffice (breather would also tie back into the OEM tank).
Frame mounted brackets, a bash plate and a heat shield would be required.
And a custom tank with a 2" NPT and a 1/4" NPT weld flange.
I have researched bolted, gasketed bulk head flanges that will work great if the fuel pump installation hole is big enough to get them into the tank.
Otherwise an HDPE face flange using a loc-tite HDPE and o-rings to seal the mounting bolt holes would also work. How dumb is it to cut up the OEM tank and add another one?
Of course this won't meet NHTSA standards and would void the Ford Warranty but hey it's my Bronco and I might get an extra 200 miles of range.
By the time I get my Bronco maybe I'll come to my senses, than again maybe not.
Sounds pretty bold. I think that's rad but if it were me considering that level of custom fab work, I would at least wait until a factory replacement is available in case everything goes south and I need to revert back.

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m not sweating the tank size at all. I’ll buy some exterior tanks + mounts for when I’ll be far from civilization, but when I’m not (99% of the time), I’ll pull it off and be glad to not have that extra weight.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Last time this came up, someone posted a aux tank that wrapped around and fit behind the spare tire. it had a hose that you would use to gravity fill into the tank.

From my antelope camp to town and back is a 100 miles. So you use gas to get gas.
Sponsored