First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just test drove a Wildtrak Sasquatch, 2.7L, Rapid Red, High Package from Apple Ford in Columbia, MD. Only had about 20 minutes with it or so (others were waiting to drive it). This review may not be up to B6G standards, but I'll share my observations anyway...

Pros
  • Overall, big, good looking vehicle! Bigger than I imagined, not having seen it before. I'm 6'0" and it was a couple three inches taller than I am. The lines of the truck are impressive in person. Just walking around it made me smile!
  • Contrary to some posts I've read here, the 2.7L was quick and responsive for such a large vehicle. When I started the truck, the display asked me if I wanted to continue in Sport mode. Yes, yes I do! I got on the accelerator a few times, and she moved! There was no lag in the response, either. Would it beat my Mustang GT off the line? No, of course not. But it has the acceleration when you need it! (Sorry for repeated Mustang comparisons... it's what I know.)
  • Braking was immediate and grabby, but not too much, which I appreciate. Might not be as gradual and smooth as your sedan, but with a large, heavy vehicle, you'll want to be able to stop when you need to.
  • Very roomy passenger compartment! Good head and leg room, front and back, with one exception (see below in Cons). Wider inside than a Wrangler, for sure. All controls were in good reach and pretty intuitive, although, admittedly, I didn't have time to explore all of the tech and options around the driver's seat. Steering wheel was comfortable in my hands, which matter to me on a road trip. 12" display was pretty amazing. I didn't navigate with it, but the map was on and showed me where I was going, which was good since we haven't lived in this area that long. The leather seats were very comfortable!
  • This model had the standard stereo, and it was QUITE sufficient, even with the top open and windows down. Have seen some complaints about this, but it was plenty for me.
  • Soft top was quiet for a soft top when closed! Admittedly, I drive a Mustang GT convertible, so maybe I'm more used to it, but it was as quiet, if not quieter, than the 'Stang. Frankly, I heard more sound from the 35" tires than the wind or traffic, but even that was muted. It won't be as quiet as your Lincoln Navigator on a highway road trip, but it won't be much of a bother either.
  • Front of top open was a nice convertible feel! Again, I'm used to a convertible, but this was less windy than the Mustang with the top down. Of course, I didn't have time to put the top all the way down, so I'm sure it's breezier in that configuration.
  • Steering was tight and responsive. Almost like like a car, but a big car with big tires on it! Truck gripped the road well, even in a couple of tight roundabouts at a speed that the police might not have appreciated!
  • Contrary to some posts, I didn't find the rear door to be a problem. Heavy? Well, duh. It has a 35" tire/wheel hanging on it! But it moved easily enough, stayed open when put in place, and closed easily but firmly. Hopefully it will hold up over time under the weight.
  • There was some waviness (is that a word?) to the rear windows, but not bad. Probably hadn't been folded by lifting the rear of the soft top much yet. Really, I don't care too much about that either way, unless it becomes extreme.
Cons
  • When the front section of soft top was folded back, the soft top material hung down across the back seat on my head. See photo, below. This is not going to be a good way to drive with adults in the back seat. Not sure if there is a way to avoid this that I wasn't aware of. Maybe an opportunity for an aftermarket bar across there for the top to lay on instead of sagging down.
  • The Security Drawer in the back took up too much room, IMHO. I don't plan on getting one, but I'm sure it has a place in some of your Broncos!
  • As you'll see in one photo, the Fuel Economy was at only 10.2 mpg average after 210 miles. I chalk this up to test drivers (like me) getting heavy on the gas in Sport mode, but something to keep in mind. You may need to adjust your driving habits to keep off the twin turbos.
  • I'd probably prefer a zippered rear window on the soft top instead of lifting the back end of the soft top, but I've read posts that zippers on soft tops (Jeeps) become problematic. I can get used to lifting the back end.
Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to play with any of the off road modes, but I'm not an experienced off roader anyway. A journeyman, maybe.

This vehicle was a close match for my Bronco on order: OBX, Sasquatch, 2.7L, tow package, soft top (changed from the body colored modular hard top, for obvious reasons), so it was useful for me to drive it. All in all, I'm all in on my order after this drive!

I'll try to answer any questions you may have, but I think I've said it all here.

Edit: Captain nSANEo posted a video on properly folding back a similar Jeep soft top while tucking the material out of the way, so maybe that's what needs to be done here. The dealer presented the truck with the top already open, and I didn't have time to play with it. Maybe this is the answer, though.

Edit: Oh, sticker price on this truck was $57,440.

Edit: If your model offers it, and you have the 35" tires, you're likely gonna want the Tube Step-Powder Coated to get in and out. I have fairly long legs, but trying to step up into the truck without using the Tube Step wasn't easy.

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_171920

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_171927

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_171936

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_172033

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_172041

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_172044

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_172120

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_172127

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_172345

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_172802

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_172809

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_174320

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_175037

Ford Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch Test Drive Impressions 20210720_175056
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sucks about the soft top sagging down on the rear seat passengers... got to be a fix for that??!

OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That sucks about the soft top sagging down on the rear seat passengers... got to be a fix for that??!
I would hope so. Maybe a bungee cord stretched across to hold it up? Again, maybe an aftermarket solution is in order.

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Soft top Wildtrak is a thing now? I must’ve slept through something…

OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the good and detailed review

ehssey

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport, Harley-Davidson Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The digital/analog speedo combo makes me so angry.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

ehssey

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport, Harley-Davidson Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Soft top Wildtrak is a thing now? I must’ve slept through something…
Only dealer Demo Wildtraks are getting the soft top in order to place the MIC on customer cars. But a factory softop Wildtrak will be a rare unicorn many years form now.

MikeD

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That front license plate mount is horrible, I’ll risk the ticket and not put it on.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
WildTrak + Sport mode = 🙂
Sponsored