North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The HOSS (High-Performance Off-Road Stability Suspension) System seems very interesting, time to deep dive. Lets discuss how it works, do I need to upgrade to the Bilstein Position Sensitive Dampers for my Bronco, what does it do for articulation and how does it compare to the competition?

Standard on: Base, Big Bend, Black Diamond andOuter Banks
Standard with Added Bilstein Position Sensitive Dampers on: Badlands, Wildtrak and First Edition

CHASSIS (from Ford Prelim Spec pdf)
Front: Independent H.O.S.S. (High-Performance, Off-Road, Stability, Suspension) System with twin alloy A-arms
and coil-over springs for optimum off-road stability and control with available H.O.S.S. System with Bilstein® Position Sensitive Dampers.

Rear: Solid five-link rear axle H.O.S.S. (High-Performance, Off-Road, Stability, Suspension) System with coil-over springs for optimum off-road capability and durability with available H.O.S.S. System with Bilstein Position Sensitive Dampers.
The Bronco’s suspension is definitely up to the task of taking on the Wrangler. Like the Ranger on which it is based, the Bronco has an independent front suspension. But unlike the Ranger, it has a five-link, coil-sprung solid rear axle — a Dana 44 Advantek unit. Available upgrades include long-travel, position-sensitive Bilstein off-road shock absorbers with end-stop control valves, Spicer front and rear electronic locking differentials, and a semi-active hydraulic stabilizer bar that the Bronco can electronically disconnect and reconnect during articulation, not just on stable, level terrain in calm conditions. Ford is calling its suspension the HOSS system — for High Performance Off-Road Stability Suspension System. It provides 17% more travel than the best a Wrangler can deliver, with a claimed 10 inches of front articulation and even more in the rear.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2021-...d-4-door-jeep-has-some-homework-to-do-423739/
FordBronco_parts_08.jpg: Closeup of the 2021 Bronco independent front suspension featuring forged aluminum alloy lower A-arm.
Ford Bronco HOSS (High-Performance Off-Road Stability Suspension) System FordBronco_parts_08 - Copy

FordBronco_parts_09.jpg: Closeup of the 2021 Bronco independent front suspension featuring two forged aluminum alloy A-arms and available Bilstein long-travel position-sensitive dampers with end-stop control valves.
Ford Bronco HOSS (High-Performance Off-Road Stability Suspension) System FordBronco_parts_09 - Copy
Sponsored

Last edited:

Streetfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I cant figure out the suspension differences between badlands+sasquatch vs wildtrax. is it only that the badlands has the disconnecting swaybar and everything else is the same? or does the wildtrax have some sort of longer travel setup (it has a 1.6 inch wider track than the badlands but im not sure if that is only because it has the 315 tires standard or thrre is something else at play)

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I cant figure out the suspension differences between badlands+sasquatch vs wildtrax. is it only that the badlands has the disconnecting swaybar and everything else is the same? or does the wildtrax have some sort of longer travel setup (it has a 1.6 inch wider track than the badlands but im not sure if that is only because it has the 315 tires standard or thrre is something else at play)
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...crossovers/bronco/pdf/21_Bronco_lineup_HR.pdf

I found this very helpful.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am very curious to see how the HOSS system performs. It sounds cool, and I’m glad it comes with Sasquatch, but I want to know what it actually does.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

it comes with Sasquatch package but parts of the Sasquatch package are already standard on some so makes it interesting if there is a price variance on models for the Sasquatch option

Sponsored

DustyD

Base
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Glad to hear it's tied into the Sasquatch package. When I first looked at the PDF comparison it looked like it started at the Badlands level, but then I realized that's just where it's standard.

More reason to get a Base w/Sasquatch

DonsBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I put a deposit on a Wildtrak, but think I might switch to the Badlands as I really don't need 35's but I do want at least 33's
Am I right if I switch to the Badlands, it looks like the HOSS System with Bilstein Position Sensitive Dampers is functionally the same Sasquatch Package, just set up for 33 inch tires.

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

According to the prelim spec sheet, the badlands trim gains wheel travel over all the other variants, including the others with HOSS equipped Bilstiens.
The other Trims with HOSS have 35” tires vs 33”. I would assume that due to the larger tires, the uptravel will be limited, but full droop will be the same.
The extra almost 2” of wheel travel Over ever other trim sold me on the Badlands trim w/33” tires.

Pcpacker

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like this. I am assuming that ground clearance from badlands Sasquatch to badlands without Sasquatch will go from 11.6 to around 10.0?

I wouldn’t want much less than that for my purposes.

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like this. I am assuming that ground clearance from badlands Sasquatch to badlands without Sasquatch will go from 11.6 to around 10.0?

I wouldn’t want much less than that for my purposes.
My guess is the Bilstien package is the same no matter trim.
The ground clearance should be the same on Badlands/Wildtrac/FE/Sasquatch equiped models.

Sponsored

Pcpacker

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So if the suspension is the same and the only difference is the tire size, Isn’t there about an inch difference in ground clearance between the 35 inch MTs in the 33 inch ATs?

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So if the suspension is the same and the only difference is the tire size, Isn’t there about an inch difference in ground clearance between the 35 inch MTs in the 33 inch ATs?
ah, yes. You’d get an extra 1” for the tires.

Hans

Outer Banks
First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
ah, yes. You’d get an extra 1” for the tires.
There is body lift plus Sasquatch tire and locking diffs in the sas package.

Badplaid72

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have Not read anything about a body lift in the SAS. I think the difference with the SAS - which is standard on the Wildtrak, and the Badlands, is the 35” tires. But More importantly than tire size is the bead lock capable rims, which according to the chart, is only in the SAS package. If I’m wrong, and I’m hoping I am, then you want the SAS bead lock wheels, if your going to seriously take on a rock crawl. No matter what model, sway bar disconnect or not.

if you go with the Badlands, and add the SAS package you also lose the final drive ratio because of the 4.7 final drive ratio in the SAS. If you want to crawl get the badlands, no SAS, 2.3 I4, and manual transmission. The crawl gear will destroy anything on the rocks out of the box.

like everybody I’m standing by for somebody to really explain the difference between the unique badlands suspension and the Wildtrak with SAS, besides the sway bar disconnect.
Sponsored