DeM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Base
I understand that most everyone here probably wants a true Bronco. Even I ordered the Wildtrak model. But, I have a question and don't want to offend anyone. Basically, I've been keeping track of what is happening globally. In general, there are water shortages in at least five countries and uncontrollable fires as well. Some people are claiming the unusual temperatures will continue and are due in part to climate change. The climate change is because of many things, but particularly the burning of fossil fuels.

I also read that the administration wants to mitigate climate change by producing more EV's in the future and eventually limiting the production of gas vehicles. If this is true, then while it would be great to have the New Broncos, I have a feeling that maybe part of the delays might have to do with a phasing out of the gas bronco and transitioning to a hybrid or EV Bronco. This is just speculation on my part.

The reason for this thought is because it seems odd that a manufacturer who has been in business for quite a long time, can't produce a car without all of the associated issues and continual delays. Aside from semiconductor shortages, covid, and so on, they have opened the factories and there is more than one roof maker one would hope. Also, a smart business decision might be to use the current semiconductors originally meant for broncos in the F150's since a ton of them are already built. Customers are meant to believe roof issues won't be resolved until 2022-23. So, there is nothing stopping Ford from stalling until the new year when decisions are made about EV's and Hybrids. In the meantime, they produce a few hundred at a time, get some orders filled, in efforts to keep people's hopes up, but in reality future Broncos might be built that are more in line with the global push. The excuse will be that the EV or Hybrid will be the only options available.

It is true that there is a global shortage of chips, but it is also true that Ford may have put aside a stock of chips for certain vehicles. I'm just saying. Using those chips on vehicles already built makes business sense. Sending those vehicles to car lots with mechanics who can install those chips, (if trained), helps them move forward with other plans. They simply may not have the personnel to accomplish everything and only they know the truth.

The question: If any of this is true, would anyone switch to an EV or Hybrid Bronco if that was the only option left?
Sponsored

OP
OP

DeM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Base
At least I'm entertaining.

Sponsored

Mama_Dropt_Me

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Surbaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I dont think there is any way that the slow turnout of the Bronco has anything to do with the contribution of fossil fuels to the climate crisis. That seems like 100% crazy talk to me.

Also, I’d totally switch to a hybrid but until you can plug your vehicle into a tree, I likely won’t be investing in an all electric vehicle. The infrastructure and range is just not there yet to feel comfortable taking an EV into the back country.

Last edited:

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand that most everyone here probably wants a true Bronco. Even I ordered the Wildtrak model. But, I have a question and don't want to offend anyone. Basically, I've been keeping track of what is happening globally. In general, there are water shortages in at least five countries and uncontrollable fires as well. Some people are claiming the unusual temperatures will continue and are due in part to climate change. The climate change is because of many things, but particularly the burning of fossil fuels.

I also read that the administration wants to mitigate climate change by producing more EV's in the future and eventually limiting the production of gas vehicles. If this is true, then while it would be great to have the New Broncos, I have a feeling that maybe part of the delays might have to do with a phasing out of the gas bronco and transitioning to a hybrid or EV Bronco. This is just speculation on my part.

The reason for this thought is because it seems odd that a manufacturer who has been in business for quite a long time, can't produce a car without all of the associated issues and continual delays. Aside from semiconductor shortages, covid, and so on, they have opened the factories and there is more than one roof maker one would hope. Also, a smart business decision might be to use the current semiconductors originally meant for broncos in the F150's since a ton of them are already built. Customers are meant to believe roof issues won't be resolved until 2022-23. So, there is nothing stopping Ford from stalling until the new year when decisions are made about EV's and Hybrids. In the meantime, they produce a few hundred at a time, get some orders filled, in efforts to keep people's hopes up, but in reality future Broncos might be built that are more in line with the global push. The excuse will be that the EV or Hybrid will be the only options available.

It is true that there is a global shortage of chips, but it is also true that Ford may have put aside a stock of chips for certain vehicles. I'm just saying. Using those chips on vehicles already built makes business sense. Sending those vehicles to car lots with mechanics who can install those chips, (if trained), helps them move forward with other plans. They simply may not have the personnel to accomplish everything and only they know the truth.

The question: If any of this is true, would anyone switch to an EV or Hybrid Bronco if that was the only option left?
Go back to your conspiracy cave and pin board.

This. Has. Been. Covered. Repeatedly.

There is a whole section on this forum devoted to the hybrid option and there have been polls on whether people want it.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am absolutely looking forward to an electric vehicle one day. The range of the vehicles today isn't the issue, it's the recharging time. Get it down to a couple minutes and I'm all in.

And when we have more efficient solar panels the roof of the Bronco can keep you going all day? Totally in.

Until then gonna keep burning dinosaur juice.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There is a high chance the current Admin sets a target date several years out to fully end the sale of gas engines. I would guess by 2035.

So it is going to be cutting it close to see if Ford can fill the current orders before it is illegal to sell gas cars.

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WL74 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a feeling that maybe part of the delays might have to do with a phasing out of the gas bronco and transitioning to a hybrid or EV Bronco.

Wow!!! “Conspiracy Theory”, much? So you’re saying Ford is behind all the commodity shortages, Webasto hard-fail, COVID knock-on effects, etc., all as part of their overarching diabolical strategy to hold back on producing Broncos now because they are waiting to push out EV or hybrid models instead. B$!

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

DeM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Base
The first response is from Washington.gov June 2021

The United States can reduce carbon pollution from the transportation sector by reducing tailpipe emissions and boosting the efficiency of cars and trucks; providing funding for charging infrastructure; and spurring research, development, demonstration, and deployment efforts that drive forward very low carbon new-generation renewable fuels for applications like aviation, and other cutting-edge transportation technologies across modes.

This response is from CNN. February 2021
General Motors has pledged to stop making gasoline-powered passenger cars, vans and sport utility vehicles by 2035, marking a historic turning point for the iconic American carmaker and promising a future of new electric vehicles for American motorists.

This one from the New York Times May 2021
Ford says it will transition to EV-production gradually over the next decade. By 2024, the company's entire commercial vehicle lineup will be “zero-emissions capable, all-electric or plug-in hybrid.” By mid-2026, Ford says “100 percent” of its passenger vehicle lineup will be the same.

Just guessing.....

OP
OP

DeM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Base
No, I'm saying that the semi conductor shortage is real as previously stated, as well as covid. However, I'm suggesting that these issues help to spur a transition to initiatives that are currently in the works having to do with the reduction of carbon emissions. And the delays may help in these efforts.

OP
OP

DeM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was aware that this would not be a popular viewpoint, but since it is an open forum I thought it was worth mentioning. As far as conspiracy theories go, I really don't participate. However, if you want facts, I provided three for your review. You also have the right to your opinion which I respect. And of course it is easy for those who disagree to sink to lower levels of response in some cases.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You're smoking something, you don't understand business cases, production or design. Ford is already working on hybrids and electrics.

By the time Ford finds enough batteries someone has to find out how to produce 97% more electricity to charge all your mythical electrics, 2035, 2055, who knows.

OP
OP

DeM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was aware that this would not be a popular viewpoint, but since it is an open forum I thought it was worth mentioning. As far as conspiracy theories go, I really don't participate. However, if you want facts, I provided three for your review. You also have the right to your opinion which I respect. And of course it is easy for those who disagree to sink to lower levels of response in some cases.
Sponsored