Sponsored

Tow capacity will keep me from switching...

Bayou_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I too was a little disappointed in 3500 lbs. I was hopping it would match the 5000 lb rating of the 4Runner that I will be coming out of it. I have a 20' Bay Boat that I will be towing that's pretty close to the 5K mark. I definitely understand why and I sure wouldn't want to give up the off road capability of the Bronco to achieve it. Just really curious as to what that optional Tow package will consist of? My guess is the hitch itself and maybe a trans cooler, and not additional capacity. Either way I can live with it since the wife drive a 4Runner as well and we can just swap out when I pull the boat.
Sponsored

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's been said by a few members here, but I'd hold tight a bit. There is no way both 2 and 4 door have the exact same rating, especially across all the different trims and wheel sizes and gear ratios.
I'm convinced the 3500 is simply a temporary placeholder. Wait for more information before you all get worked up.

Desertsailing

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Is a magic switch that toggles between off road and tow so much to ask for!?

Sponsored

Sammy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I totally get it.

Increased towing comes by sacrificing off-road capability, but a large number of owners will never come close to maxing out that capability to begin with. Ford says “we want you to build toward your outdoor pursuits” and for a lot of people, their pursuit involves towing things to lakes and/or campgrounds. A conventional SUV or pickup would work, but they also want the ability to take the roof off. They‘ll opt for a Gladiator.

I’m not saying Ford should offer a tow-oriented Bronco, but it would seem to be a mistake to not give it consideration.

Sponsored

Desertsailing

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As someone else mentioned in here: tongue weight and soft suspension don't really play well together.
I was totally kidding. But if we are going to have unrealistic expectations I want my bronco to be autonomous so I can take a nap on the long drive home after a weekend of off-roading.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not that I want to keep this thread going, and it's not that I don't believe you.. But I'm gonna need to see this list of sedans that can tow 3,500 lbs.
Been a min since I've looked this up. There aren't many(wasn't trying to say ANY sedan could do it), and not sure any current new versions are still rated that high, but few years back the Volvo S60 was rated for 3500lbs, the Subaru Legacy was just shy of 3000lbs, I think one of the bmw 5 series models was rated for something like 4000lbs, but think the bmw one wasn't a us model so that doesn't really count(sedans do get crazy tow ratings in other countries because of different rules/training/etc for towing). There were a couple others in that range in the US that I cant remember. Me and a few buddies had a running list for awhile years ago, which actually started as a "what can tow the same as your wrangler" for one guy in our group of friends. He sold the wrangler so we stopped keeping up with the list.
Sponsored