Thoughts on Key Fob?

ChrisMeyers

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's a running joke among JL owners. There's a meme. It's too big. There are hacks to make the metal key flip out less easily as it tends to deploy in your pocket (insert juvenile joke here). I do appreciate that it's meant to look like a jerry can and that there is a specific place to stow it between the cup holders. My gripe about fobs vs keys is that a fob needs a place. Dropping it in a cup holder feels sloppy and poorly planned. My favorite actually are the fob/key hybrids that you actually insert into a socket. The market seems to be going away from those though.

Nate
Why does the fob need a place to put it? Why wouldnt you just keep it in your pocket where it was before?

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Why does the fob need a place to put it? Why wouldnt you just keep it in your pocket where it was before?
Because it's uncomfortable when you're wearing skinny jeans, I guess .

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It is certainly not. Atleast not the Ford one. And I basically only wear skinny jeans (511s). You dont even know its there.
Okay then I got nothin'

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What the actual hell. Wow!
Yup! And they even updated it for the 2020 model year for keyless entry and push button start!!
tenor.gif

ChrisMeyers

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Okay then I got nothin'
I think your guys deal like over in FCA land and the Toyota one above is that they are not ergonomic like the Ford one. The Ford one basically has no edges for most of the body, its all rounded. There is no jerry can, or notch button so its not like that. Which is actually why I suspect they keep the same basic design (its on my 2015 Mustang I ordered pre release). The beauty of keyless go is that you never touch your keys. Its always where it was in your pocket. During the day, when you go places and come back to your car. You dont even think about it. Sometimes I forget there is a key. As long as you learn how to lock your car when you get out (tap the bumps) then the fob should never be touched or moved.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think your guys deal like over in FCA land and the Toyota one above is that they are not ergonomic like the Ford one. The Ford one basically has no edges for most of the body, its all rounded. There is no jerry can, or notch button so its not like that. Which is actually why I suspect they keep the same basic design (its on my 2015 Mustang I ordered pre release). The beauty of keyless go is that you never touch your keys. Its always where it was in your pocket. During the day, when you go places and come back to your car. You dont even think about it. Sometimes I forget there is a key. As long as you learn how to lock your car when you get out (tap the bumps) then the fob should never be touched or moved.
All good points. Do Fords not auto lock when you walk away from the car?

Sammy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It’s small, simple, and not going to snag on anything. I‘d rather have that than a Bronco-specific fob that doesn’t have all three of those qualities.

The JL fob is just too big and ugly.
Sponsored