Sponsored

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the relevant thing to remember is that even some MIC tops that passed Ford inspection, dealer prep, and owner inspection are showing significant deterioration within 3 - 4 weeks of delivery. We just don't know how many.
I’m sure that Webasto has a share of the blame here, maybe even the lion’s share. But it’s becoming clear to me that this is a design flaw. Ford got cute and decided to outdo Jeep by making a fancier top and it’s too hard to manufacture and check for quality. Jeeps don’t have any problems like this with painted or MIC tops. The top design is inherently flawed. That’s the only logical conclusion here. Even Ford “assuming operational control” over the Webasto plant did nothing to fix this. The design just doesn’t work.
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It wouldn't be the first time Ford knew of a design flaw and pushed it through (DCT trans in Focus/fiesta cough cough)

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It wouldn't be the first time Ford knew of a design flaw and pushed it through (DCT trans in Focus/fiesta cough cough)
They also tried to blame that on Getrag. The same company they contracted with again to make the 7spd in the Bronco, so apparently they forgave their horrible transgression. Ford of late has a pattern of doing this - design a flawed product, when it fails, blame the supplier when the failure is a result of your own design decisions.

Beto69Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you, Ross! Great information and you're very much appreciated by everyone! Quick question, not sure I understood what you meant by "production mix for the coming months is shifting outside of demand for hard tops (and all 2 door units)."

Thanks again!

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, it was in the thread about Webasto losing the contract for the MOD top, not this one. States that it’s a paper honeycomb right in the first paragraph.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...asto-loses-contract.19864/page-12#post-713362
This link doesn’t say anything about the Bronco hardtop. It only references the Jeep Renegade in 2015.

https://www.webasto-group.com/en/technologies-trends/lightweight/polyurethane-composites/

I was looking for confirmation that the honeycomb in the Bronco hardtop is paper rather than composite.

The reason I am asking is because paper absorbs water, but composites don’t. Since there are non-rolled edges with the honeycomb internal layer exposed, the material choice here would be important.

Last edited:

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This link doesn’t say anything about the Bronco hardtop. It only references the Jeep Renegade in 2015.

https://www.webasto-group.com/en/technologies-trends/lightweight/polyurethane-composites/

I was looking for confirmation that the honeycomb in the Bronco hardtop is paper rather than composite.
That’s from Webasto’s website about the product they make that is used in the Bronco MIC top. It’s paper honeycomb coated with composite fibers. I’m not sure you’re going to get better confirmation than that without taking a Sawzall to one but it’s really rather immaterial. Either way the tops were designed with raw edges, which I’m fairly certain would never have been a good thing, regardless of inner material. Whatever it is in there is flaking off.

Edit: saw your edit and I’m not sure it would behave like true paper when exposed to water given it’s covered with composite fibers. That depends on how thoroughly it’s covered and how that is applied but it still seems to be experiencing some degree of destruction over time. My guess is the paper or composite nature of the honeycomb would only control how rapid the decomposition is rather than the amount. Water will get in and expand/contract regardless of the substrate. Basically is the top rotting or cracking apart?

OldGrayMare

Badlands
First Name
Jami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 Bronco, '67 Tempest, '85 Yota SR5, '16 ATS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with waiting on Ford’s repair plan, but if you aren’t worried about a warranty repair or it’s just a small spot that concerns you, I’d use Sun Cure or Ding All. It’s an epoxy resin used on surf boards. About $15 on Amazon. Dries clear and is easily sanded. Helps fix delamination.

Ford Bronco Bronco Production Update From MAP - July 19th 🏭 8B393D70-72AD-4BD9-91FC-0FFDBE60F2D3

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They also tried to blame that on Getrag. The same company they contracted with again to make the 7spd in the Bronco, so apparently they forgave their horrible transgression. Ford of late has a pattern of doing this - design a flawed product, when it fails, blame the supplier when the failure is a result of your own design decisions.
Of late...stretching back 20+ years to the Firestone ordeal.

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport(reserved Bronco)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My build status for 7/19 has been sitting at "In Production" for almost a week with no updates, is this a normal experience others been having? I never received any emails or anything from ford at all. I just happened to see all this on my own.. Is this common?

Ford Bronco Bronco Production Update From MAP - July 19th 🏭 8B393D70-72AD-4BD9-91FC-0FFDBE60F2D3
Mine has been in production since 6/30. Same as you no emails. Mine actually has the date 6/30 listed under in production. Are you able to see your window sticker? Talked to my dealer who claims that it is built but has no information beyond that. Nothing from ford....

Sponsored

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mine has been in production since 6/30. Same as you no emails. Mine actually has the date 6/30 listed under in production. Are you able to see your window sticker? Talked to my dealer who claims that it is built but has no information beyond that. Nothing from ford....
There is a different screen your dealer can see then Corporate. It is built. It’s in purgatory with a bunch of us. Not sure why, it’s not hardtop related, or not only hardtop, since I have a soft top. I am 6/18 build and still sitting.

Kelleymarie212

Big Bend
First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

yeah, held up from 28th to July12th, That is why my theory of the oldest ones built will be last ones shipped comes from figuring they were buried furthest back in the holding pen. last I heard it was in Chicago

7/13 MIC here. Crickets.
Sponsored