UniBroncorn

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford has to do something quick. FWIW they may lose potential customers like me. I know it is a different price/class of vehicle but considering a Rivian and have a deposit if Ford does not sort this out.

Ford also needs to communicate how they are going to fix this Mess In Colour top and not keep current/potential customers guessing.

There are posters here that say who cares it's an off road vehicle and top meant to be scraped up etc etc. Well to posters that say that, who cares if paint is chipped or dents in body.

I would not accept a chipped paint job or a dented body panel from a vehicle bought new from factory and the MIC roof no different.

Ps kinda sad that @PREMiERdrum is kind enough to post more info/news than Ford has and he doesn't even work for Ford. Ford really needs to hire a PR rep to address these concerns before more people jump ship.
Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@PREMiERdrum First, I do appreciate the information you can pass along here. While I don't care to be engaged in working the MIC top problem, I would like to understand the details of how the problem is being approached. However, I understand that's not how it works.

Second, yesterday you said:

And today you said:

To summarize, yesterday the solution (for those of us with trucks parked at MAP) was that MAP's down week (7/26) will allow inventory of MIC tops to resolve all the parked trucks.

However, today the solution seems less straightforward. Is Ford going with "only kind of bad tops" (which really makes me cringe). Or is Ford contemplating something more permanent? Are we looking at a 2-3 week turnaround for parked trucks to be shipped with almost acceptable MIC tops. Or are we looking at months and months for a better solution altogether?

Again, not trying to give you a hard time. Simply want to have enough info to make an informed decision for my situation going forward.
Agreed. If they choose to send us tops that are not near perfect....what one would expect from a new expensive vehicle....this is totally unacceptable!!! If this delays our Broncos much longer....I suspect many will drop their orders, wait another year or two and/or go to some other brand of 4X4. This is very sad for this Bronco launch and has been a let down to many of us who have been waiting and standing by Ford as loyal customers. The Poster I got yesterday....well it doesn't cut it.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My question is if the grey outer "skin" is actually structural or just a cosmetic veneer. Is the separation between the core and veneer or in the base core layers? Is the MIC exterior a sheet that is loaded in the mold and everything is done in a single step or is this a multi-stage process? Seems like a painted top (like gel coat boat hull) would be much easier to produce considering it's in 6 different sections.

If the majority of this is some form of fiberglass mat/chopped strand/biaxial mat plus an outer veneer, it would seem this would be more difficult to produce than a standard fiberglass vacuum form. Is this a bonding issue? Too much/too little resin? Ford, send me a defective MIC top or multiples. Hell, I'll pay for them just to see if we can sand through the outer layer, apply a few coats of epoxy and try to get some paint to stick.
The core is useless, weak filler without being bonded to a 'skin' on either side.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In many ways, I see the process we are in as a high stakes poker game. Ford may feel they have the better hand. More reservations than they can currently handle, a dealer networks which needs vehicles to sell and can seem to sell anything on their lot, and a continuing positive hysteria for owning a Bronco.

Buyers on the other hand do have some options, but perhaps a weaker hand. We are already seeing some buyers who opted for a soft top without the prep kit, fold their hand and walk away. If they did not loose any deposit and are not in dire need, that may be a wise decision. In theory, they could turn around and place a new order for a soft top with the prep kit and maybe obtain their Bronco by October.

The MIC top options are more challenging since the full picture is still being developed. One assumption we should not automatically make is that Ford will replace existing MIC tops with a fresh one which is free of defects. Fords understands the risks/rewards involved in class action suits and has a history in that field. Buyers may be faced with owning a MIC top which receives minor repairs from the dealer. If I were Ford, that is the option I might pursue until a more permanent solution arrives in 2023.

Sometimes it is best to keep the rose-colored glasses firmly in place to maintain a positive mental attitude. Clearly, buying a Bronco is not for the faint of heart!

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I see the process we are in as a high stakes poker game. Ford may feel they have the better hand.
Couldn't disagree more:

1. I've got the cash; Ford wants it
2. I've got a better credit rating than Ford; so I can sit on my cards longer
3. The Bronco image/reputation is crumbling by the minute - much like the MIC top

Sponsored

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Couldn't disagree more:

3. The Bronco image/reputation is crumbling by the minute - much like the MIC top
You may be right, but I see no proof at this time that you and I are more than bit players in a high risk game for profit.

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The core is useless, weak filler without being bonded to a 'skin' on either side.
The core does provide some strength provided it bonds to the face and backer. Generally these are used to produce thicker parts while keeping strength with thin outer layers. I’m not seeing anything that looks like core material on the edges. Maybe in thicker areas but not where we are seeing these delams or separations.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I see no proof at this time that you and I are more than bit players in a high risk game for profit.
Ford's biggest problem is seeing customers as 'bit players'.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford's biggest problem is seeing customers as 'bit players'.
Keep in mind, the Ford Dealers Association speaks with one voice. That is where true power resides. Everything else tends to be imaginary in our own minds. Play your cards well! ;)

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Keep in mind, the Ford Dealers Association speaks with one voice. That is where true power resides. Everything else tends to be imaginary in our own minds. Play your cards well! ;)
True, and until they run out of walk-in soft top customers some dealers benefit from the hardtop snafu. They probably also don't want to deal with hundreds of angry customers with self-destructing hard tops. Customers dissatisfied with their soft top Bronco will lead to early trade-ins and further profit. The profit on later hard top upgrades could be significant.

I think it is likely that Ford will pull the plug on hard tops and 2drs until a redesign and requalification can be done. My hope is that they will figure out a way to sell 2dr soft tops and develop sufficient capacity to provide hardtop accessory upgrades.

Sponsored

2021badlands bronco bob

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The unfinished edges will hold water that freezes causing expansion & delamination...they look like they're crying out for some type of sealer to be applied.

But read the owner warranty:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY?
  • Damage Caused By: customer-applied chemicals (pg 13)
  • Damage Caused by: freezing, water or flood (pg 14)
The top problems are caused by a shit job and poor management NOT anything else 🙈

Wings2Wheels

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch; 737
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

checked out koch 33’s black Diamond demo in Easton pa, noticed a few issues on the hardtop. Not sure if it’s due to damage (the side mirror had some scrapes on it, indicating someone sideswiped something) or if it’s from the factory like this. Take it with a grain of salt since I’m not entirely sure if it showed up like this or not. Employees at koch 33 were very nice and let me test drive it!
21D3B366-5212-4F2D-8529-C27AAFF58A36.jpeg
24477BF6-2EA3-41DB-B234-09F95A7CCA85.jpeg

Wife and I also did the test drive at Koch, once on Wednesday evening right before closing, and again on Thursday afternoon to see it in the daylight.

She instantly fell in love and we reserved and ordered after Thursday's test drive.

We went with a 4DR Badlands w/High level interior package, 'Squatch, in Cactus Grey with a soft top. Better half was originally going for a Jeep Rubicon 4 DR with a soft top, but one ride in the Bronco and she was hooked.

Re: the Koch promo Bronco, I simply cannot believe people will abuse a vehicle that isn't theirs and just give it back like nothing happened. Besides the scrapes on the pax side view mirror, my better half spotted a couple of scratches and gouges on the front right quarter panel up near the top. Absolute shame, but kind of shows what society is like in general today.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Couldn't disagree more:

That’s truly funny! 😂

In Gambler’s Ruin, the house always wins because of the size of its bankroll. Regardless of what a credit agency may tell you about the quality of your credit rating, I know you don’t have $47 billion of total liquidity on your personal balance sheet. 😉

Los

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disco3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When quality control fails and inadequate testing, these are the results (FAILURE)

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had been holding out for the MIC but I’m wavering now. I’ll talk to my dealer and see if my December res and a soft top would move me into the realm of his allocation. I may also wait a bit longer to see how Ford addresses this. They may come out with a program that benefits those who hold out for the MIC. It’s all a gamble!
Sponsored