First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-250, 69 Mach-1
Your Bronco Model
Base
First post, but I’ve been on here since the beginning just never got around to registering…..

Anyway, my name is Daniel and I work for a Ford dealership north of Denver and I’ve been here for about 18 years….. i’ve reconfigured my order about 10 times now, as most of us probably have but I’m just struggling with either going with the four or a six cylinder and wanted to know if anybody had any real world driving impressions of both motors with the 4.7 rear end and Sasquatch package…… i’ve currently driven a 2.7 four-door non-Sasquatch and our demo is a four-door big Bend Sasquatch with the 2.3.

I just feel like that four-cylinder is a pretty darn good motor and I wasn’t as impressed with the 2.7 as it did not seem much faster (it has the upgraded rear end gears, but not the 4.7), and I’m really considering just doing the four-cylinder now, but as it sits I’ve got a base Sasquatch an order with the 2.7…

i’m interested in knowing if there’s any huge differences in acceleration between the two.

Thanks in advance… Daniel
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can’t go wrong either way. I went with the 2.7 because I figure I’ll never regret a little more power and torque, and unlike a lot of other things on this vehicle, the engine choice is something you’re more or less stuck with.

On the other hand, it’s a lot of money to spend when the 2.3L will be up for anything you throw at it.

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With the numbers the Bronco 2.7 is putting up you might as well stay with the 2.3. It is very unimpressive, definitely not like the F-150 2.7 for sure.

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just feel like that four-cylinder is a pretty darn good motor and I wasn’t as impressed with the 2.7 as it did not seem much faster.
As someone who’s driven both Bronco engines, they feel pretty much the same. The only time you feel the extra torque of the 2.7L, is when you’re on a steep hill. The 2.7L can’t reach it’s full potential in the Bronco; since it’s limited by the 10R60 transmission.

So if you don’t plan on upgrading your transmission, save yourself $2K and get the 2.3L. With a small tune, there won’t even be a difference in power between the two engines.

If you don’t mind upgrading your tranny later, definitely get the 2.7L, because then you’ll be able to unlock its full potential.

Sponsored
OP
OP
t88supra

t88supra

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 F-250, 69 Mach-1
Your Bronco Model
Base
As someone who’s driven both Bronco engines, they feel pretty much the same. The only time you feel the extra torque of the 2.7L, is when you’re on a steep hill. The 2.7L can’t reach it’s full potential in the Bronco; since it’s limited by the 10R60 transmission.

So if you don’t plan on upgrading your transmission, save yourself $2K and get the 2.3L. With a small tune, there won’t even be a difference in power between the two engines.

If you don’t mind upgrading your tranny later, definitely get the 2.7L, because then you’ll be able to unlock its full potential.

So even with having the upgraded advanced transmission as is required with the SAS pkg.... you think I will still have to upgrade the tranny?

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Thanks for your perspective. It does seem like both engines are adequate but not fast in the videos we have seen. Seem about the same as the Jeep Pentastar, which is notoriously just ok. How much would a transmission swap cost? I can't imagine that's cheap. Kinda disappointing to hear these boosts aren't a bit more sporty. Seems like you should get some kind of positive tradeoff for giving up the reliability of a naturally aspirated engine.

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So even with having the upgraded advanced transmission as is required with the SAS pkg.... you think I will still have to upgrade the tranny?
The Sasquatch package doesn’t upgrade the 10R60 transmission. Just adds the advanced transfer case.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Like my brother from another mother Dave @AzScorpion I have the 2.3L in a Ranger. It's a damned impressive engine. I went backwards, and forwards at least a million times on which engine I would get in my Bronco. I went with the 2.7L just because that's want I wanted. There was no rhyme, or other reason for my choice. If the 2.3L was the only engine choice in the Bronco I would be fine with that.

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for your perspective. It does seem like both engines are adequate but not fast in the videos we have seen. Seem about the same as the Jeep Pentastar, which is notoriously just ok. How much would a transmission swap cost? I can't imagine that's cheap. Kinda disappointing to hear these boosts aren't a bit more sporty. Seems like you should get some kind of positive tradeoff for giving up the reliability of a naturally aspirated engine.
I haven’t done any transmission swaps in newer vehicles. But I can imagine it would cost a few thousand to purchase and install the 10R80.

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

it seems to me ford is really targeting the off road market, rather than the drag strip market. i am pretty sure in a year or two there will be a coyote motor swap kit out there. so my advice would be why bother with the 2.7 if you are just going to pull it in a couple of years. but for arguments sake most of the legendary off road vehicles were not overly powerful engines, just rugged and reliable... depends what you are looking for... some think it is important to do donuts in parking lots in 4 wheel low, not me...

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Port injection, cgi block, R60 handles 3.0 application just fine. 2.7 for me, no second thought about it!

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My general thoughts is that you might regret the 2.3, you won't regret the 2.7 no matter what. In the grand scheme, 1800 clams is not that much on a 40k vehicle. Eat ramen for lunch for a month if you are worried about the cash.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My general thoughts is that you might regret the 2.3, you won't regret the 2.7 no matter what. In the grand scheme, 1800 clams is not that much on a 40k vehicle. Eat ramen for lunch for a month if you are worried about the cash.
You'd regret it if/when you have 2 blown turbos compared to only 1. 😉

With my 2.3 now I have a tune in it which was only $500 and if I feel my Bronco needs one I'll do the same. For me it has nothing to do with the cost it just doesn't make sense for the little gain to dollar ratio you're actually getting.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have driven the 2.7 SAS four door. I was impressed with the 2.7. This coming from a geezer who has always bought a Ford V8 if possible. That being said, my son works for a PBS station,the one that produces Motorweek. He interned for Motorweek while in college and is acquainted with many of the current show folks. One coworker drove all the Bronco models and his first impressions included, the “ 2.3 was more then enough”, and” any model optioned with SAS had a superior ride quality on highway and paved roads”. I have been looking for a local 2.3 to test drive to finally decide on what motor. I am not so sure my standard belief, “ bigger is better” may hold water with this vehicle.
Sponsored