Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really good video and the first I’ve seen that really test the Bronco.

I have to say the Jeep looked more comfortable out there though. That spot in the video where Tommy disengaged the sway bar and then they showed the Jeep going through it clearly shows why solid axel is king on trails. Bronco holds its own no doubt though.

This video may have convinced me to not go Sasquatch. The Bronco is big. Badlands non squatch seems the way to go for trails.
Sponsored

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I do have to say that the Defender is automatically at a disadvantage with the tires. It would be a better test if they swapped out the tires on all three to have the same tire. The Jeep and Bronco could take a bigger size but, the same width tire could be used. Grip and obstacle clearance with give the Jeep and Bronco a slight advantage over the Defender but, at least the test would be a little bit more balanced out.

Last edited:

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Really good video and the first I’ve seen that really test the Bronco.

I have to say the Jeep looked more comfortable out there though. That spot in the video where Tommy disengaged the sway bar and then they showed the Jeep going through it clearly shows why solid axel is king on trails. Bronco holds its own no doubt though.

This video may have convinced me to not go Sasquatch. The Bronco is big. Badlands non squatch seems the way to go for trails.
Not to mention that the non squatch badlands has slightly more wheel travel too (and you can throw 35's right on it anyway)

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I do have to say that the Defender is automatically at a disadvantage with the tires. It would be a better test if they swapped out the tires on all three to have the same tire. The Jeep and Bronco could take a bigger size but, the same width tire could be used. Grip and obstacle clearance with give the Jeep and Bronco a slight advantage over the Defender but, at least the test would be a little bit more balanced out.

Also, anyone else pissed that they just went and bought one off the floor while we wait on are already placed orders?
yeah the defender was done dirty. EDIT: I mean 'the defender' as the overall truck model (not TFL's fault, they originally specced a much more appropriate machine), not 'this defender' as in this exact truck. This defender did just as well as I'd expect on this kind of rock.

TBF if you watch their previous video they explain the Bronco situation, they took over a reservation holder's order with the holder's consent in exchange for plugging the charity Ronald Mcdonald House. So no, you might be the only one pissed about that :p

Last edited:

midwestpilot

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

TBF if you watch their previous video they explain the Bronco situation, they took over a reservation holder's order with the holder's consent in exchange for plugging the charity Ronald Mcdonald House. So no, you might be the only one pissed about that :p
I’m glad they got their hands on it early-better content for us who wait, good charity got a shoutout, and later builds will have more and more of the kinks worked out

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Also, anyone else pissed that they just went and bought one off the floor while we wait on are already placed orders?
The test is about stock vehicles...not one's with aftermarket tires added....that Defender would need new wheels too though and all of the factory choices suck....and no, I'm not pissed at all they have 900,000+ YouTube subscribers... why would anyone be pissed? I'd be pissed if I didn't see video reviews and commentary....

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t always like the TFL stuff, but I enjoyed this one. I really dig both of these vehicles (does the Defender even count?) and I think it’s awesome that people have a choice now. Cool to see the front articulation on the Bronco is almost as good as the Jeep.

mmorgan

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC JImmy
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A Bronco reservation holder let them purchase his truck in return for TFL doing promo work on the channel for to the Ronald McDonald House organization.

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
yeah the defender was done dirty.

Exactly, they plugged the Charity in the video and will likely continue to do so, they are solid guys. The defender wasn’t done dirty as they state because they bought 3 vehicles off the floor that are representative of each manufacturers “off-road” models and wheeled them that way. Changing stuff out would not be representative of what they were showing that you can or can’t wheel this trail off the dealer lot. The Defender wasn’t up to the trail, if it would have pinch flatted one tire It could be chalked up to driver error on wheel placement, but the fact that it did it with 2 drivers on two different rocks shows that LR has mis-specced this vehicle for that trail.

Also that trail is absolutely nothing compared to a TON of real ROCKY trails out east and even many trails out there I am sure, I did see what appeared to be a stock 4Runner crest the mountain at the end of the video.

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The test is about stock vehicles...not one's with aftermarket tires added....that Defender would need new wheels too though and all of the factory choices suck....and no, I'm not pissed at all they have 900,000+ YouTube subscribers... why would anyone be pissed? I'd be pissed if I didn't see video reviews and commentary....
I don't really agree with Tommy's opinion that you 'really want' the P400 engine. On balance if only talking stock options I'd choose the P300 for the 18" steels and the rear diff. Which I'm pretty sure they did on their first Defender lol

Sponsored

KaneNorth

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Certainly enjoyed seeing the Bronco (and others) in action. Have to say that there is ZERO chance I'd do this to my Bronco on the second day of ownership, though.

The really interesting revelation in this video is around the kind of range one might be able to expect with a BEV (Rivian/Cybertruck...) for offroading. The Wrangle Rubicon 4xe with a 17kWh batter that got almost 27 miles of range on flat ground, ended up only getting 3.1 miles on a challenging trail. At that point it switched over to IC only, so no harm, no foul.

However, a BEV will ONLY have electric, and if this is even remotely representative (proportionately), then on the mid-level Rivian (you can get 105Kwh, 135kWh and 180kWh batteries) you would potentially only get about 25 miles of range. Unless there is a charger near where you are off-roading, that might not be a viable option.

Technology will improve the batteries, the efficiency of the vehicles, and there will be more chargers, but this looks (to me) like it has a little ways to go. Maybe when I'm ready for my next Bronco. ;)

There’s no denying you’d get less range off-road in an EV but I don’t think a hybrid with a comparatively tiny electric motor and battery running on electric only mode is a fair comparison. It’s going to have to work a lot harder to move that weight.

TFLtruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250, Gladiator, Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
yeah the defender was done dirty.

The only 4x4 option ours doesn’t have is the rear diff lock, which imho is not such a big deal on the defender as 1.it’s a full automatic system and 2. The traction management is so impressive already it is amazing how efficient and effective it is at transferring power to the wheel with grip.

We have the factory skid plates on ours and from the folks I’ve talked to they’re really not up to the task. It’s a slippery slope. Sure we could modify it with 18’s by changing the rear brake calipers and then the factory tires but then folks get upset you’re modifying it from how land rover intended it etc. Look nothing stopped them from giving rock rails and 17’s from the factory, they have that ability :/

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
3.1 mile of actual range of rock crawling in 4xe on battery. AND he had only traveled 1.9 miles when he dropped below 20% charge.. Which means he can no longer do a fast-charge. (Its a limitation of using fast-charging stations) I'm not so sure battery power plants are the answer....

Not sure that's worth the potential issues of having 3 power plants on the 4Xe (startup electronics and battery, plug-in power plant, and ICE.

Given, all vehicles are electric... You disable the in-gear bypass on any car and it will move forward using only the electric powered starter motor until the small battery runs out of juice. (That's also how large 3 wheeled motorcycles get their reverse power)

Things break when off-roading. Its just part of the activity. Having 3 powerplants is too much to deal with when something breaks and that dashboard indicator lights up that there is a problem...

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was dead set on Badlands non squatch 33" tires only. Seeing how the 35" tires climbed over things easier, it has me second guessing my decision.

What swayed you to go the opposite direction?

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's a really good comparison that highlights the strength and disadvantages of both. The Wrangler is more nimble and (sorry guys) obviously better articulation. The Bronco with better clearance and driver comfort. It's really a toss up tbh. I like the narrower for more options in choosing a line, but there is something to be said for not having to choose and just powering over stuff. Really, you can't go wrong with either one.

RE: being unfair to the Defender: they state multiple times that they test vehicles as factory spec.

Looking forward to the recovery video as Tommy said in the comments he took his new 2 door willys up to get it...
Sponsored