Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good read! Thanks!

There was a question at the end regarding comparing the old D30 to the M190 ....
Here is what I was given:
Thanks for sharing this! That’s some awesome in depth info!
Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can put adjustable coilovers on, front and back, that give up to 3 inches of lift and adjust as you want. You will have to do other things like UCAs up front though if you want 3 inches.

People are going to do whatever they want, and that's fine, but the highest I would ever recommend for a spacer lift is 1 inch. Yeah, I know some folks have had them on there for years with no problems, but plenty people have had lots of problems and to me they aren't worth it. Just like running blocks on rear leaf springs. I'd rather do it right than do it cheap.
Yeah, but you know how it is with the rigs that seem to fall apart at the sight of the first rock.

Some guys just want to save money, many have no other point of reference of driving a rig with a proper quality suspension upgrade. I get it, they all have pros and cons.

For the sake of the video in this thread, I'd warn to run as far away from Rough Country as you can, as I bet road comfort will suffer as well and I know that's not quality metal at such low prices.

Other point is that this is an IFS, and lifting one isn't cheap if you actually plan to run some obstacles other than that dirt road to the amphitheater.

For those who are new and trying to find info, bigger and more reliable names in the off road suspension game are coming for the Bronco, just give it another year now that the shops are getting hands on.

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

there is a reason it's called "rough" country. My 83 F250 rides like an absolute ROCK with their parts on it......
tempImageRYgbvK.png
Thats sick AF

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those who are new and trying to find info, bigger and more reliable names in the off road suspension game are coming for the Bronco, just give it another year now that the shops are getting hands on.
So you're saying I should fill out that form to volunteer my rig for BDS ?
https://bds-suspension.com/
They want it for 2 to 3+ weeks!!!! After all of this?
I'm not sure about all of that... lol

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you're saying I should fill out that form to volunteer my rig for BDS ?
https://bds-suspension.com/
They want it for 2 to 3+ weeks!!!! After all of this?
I'm not sure about all of that... lol
They wouldn't be a favorite eithe! lol 😆

Think anything would be better than Rough Country. At the same time, I'm not a fan of SkyJacker either for example. The lifts are fine and strong, but the drive in Wranglers just isn't great with their Level 2-4 kits, but I know that varies by person.

2-3 weeks? Man that's a long time to be without your baby!

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you suggest a few top performers for these IFS rigs? IFS is new to me.

I saw King has a coil over set up available, up to 2.5" I think. I think they are WELL liked.

I've considered a cheap 2" spacer for short term, (baseBase) get my 285/75's on and wait for the good aftermarket companies to catch up.

Even Ford is looking at 2022 for their Fox stuff.

I've also cosidered maybe just a leveler kit and stick to 33's.
I was impressed by the standard Badlands I saw at Chicago Auto Show Saturday. I REALLY liked it's stance.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you suggest a few top performers for these IFS rigs? IFS is new to me.

I saw King has a coil over set up available, up to 2.5" I think. I think they are WELL liked.

I've considered a cheap 2" spacer for short term, (baseBase) get my 285/75's on and wait for the good aftermarket companies to catch up.

Even Ford is looking at 2022 for their Fox stuff.

I've also cosidered maybe just a leveler kit and stick to 33's.
I was impressed by the standard Badlands I saw at Chicago Auto Show Saturday. I REALLY liked it's stance.
To be honest, it IFS is the issue, but Toyota and the 4 Runner have really set the standard for suspensions and lifts for an IFS.

An extra 1-2 inches are about as far as you'll want to go before changing out even the big components of the front system (CV, Ball joints, etc)

To your question, Yes KING will be among the top, FOX will lead as well, don't overlook an upgraded kit from Bilstein either. These three, stage/level being equal will vary by user on which is best; they're all stellar brands that are expensive, but very reliable, each will focus on balance and maintain a good ride while being great off road. My personal favorite hasn't released anything for Bronco and that would be ICON.

First, decide on what stage suspension you want (HOSS/Badlands is a stage 2-3 in my opinion), so you can go to a stage 4-6 maybe with a cost of $3K-$5K. For a stage 7-9 I'll guess somewhere between $8K-$12K for a system overhaul that would be total overkill unless you're going to enter competitions, install a cage, and grab a sponsor or 5! :) Think the Racing 4600 class Bronco.

Anyway, This is me guessing, but a good King upgrade on shocks and a 1" extra lift should be under 3K. You can start there and see if that does it for you, then build around those shocks. Wheels and tires are of course extra.

This is a real rabbit hole if not careful, and I couldn't blame you for going wild.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've got a base manual ordered. Do you think 35" tires will lug it down too bad? I believe it comes with 4.46 gears.
The difference is less than 5% in gearing, you'll be fine, especially with the crawler gear. The more important component is the transfer case - which is a 12.5% gearing difference.

For example the difference between the 4.46 vs the 4.7 in the automatic badlands is negligible. At 5 MPH in 4wd low, its the difference between 3184 RPM (4.46) and 3355 RPM (4.70), just 171 RPM on 35" tires.

It's just as irrelevant with a 80 or 90:1 crawl ratio.

5 MPH with the crawler (assuming 35" tires and the 3.06 transfer case) is 4689 RPM with the 4.7 gears and 4449 RPM with the 4.46 gears (a 240 RPM difference).

5 MPH with the crawler (assuming 35" tires and the 2.72 transfer case) is 4168 RPM with the 4.7 gears and 3955 RPM with the 4.46 gears (a 213 RPM difference [4.7 x 2.72] or 734 RPM difference [4.7 x 3.06]).

and even though a manual with 3.73 gears is not a thing. 5 MPH with the crawler (assuming 35" tires and the 2.72 transfer case) is 4168 RPM with the 4.7 gears and 3307 RPM with the 3.73 gears (a 816 RPM difference); this is a substantial difference because now 1 MPH is 661 RPM vs 833.6 (4.70 + standard transfer case - 2.72) and 937 RPM (4.70 + advanced transfer case - 3.06).

People who think that there is a big difference due to just the gears need to go back to math class. The real difference as others noted was the axle strength.

Last edited:

Wineguy

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr Base, VW Alltrack
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The difference is less than 5% in gearing, you'll be fine, especially with the crawler gear. The more important component is the transfer case - which is a 12.5% gearing difference.

For example the difference between the 4.46 vs the 4.7 in the automatic badlands is negligible. At 5 MPH in 4wd low, its the difference between 3184 RPM (4.46) and 3355 RPM (4.70), just 171 RPM on 35" tires.

It's just as irrelevant with a 80 or 90:1 crawl ratio.

5 MPH with the crawler (assuming 35" tires and the 3.06 transfer case) is 4689 RPM with the 4.7 gears and 4449 RPM with the 4.46 gears (a 240 RPM difference).

5 MPH with the crawler (assuming 35" tires and the 2.72 transfer case) is 4168 RPM with the 4.7 gears and 3955 RPM with the 4.46 gears (a 213 RPM difference [4.7 x 2.72] or 734 RPM difference [4.7 x 3.06]).

and even though a manual with 3.73 gears is not a thing. 5 MPH with the crawler (assuming 35" tires and the 2.72 transfer case) is 4168 RPM with the 4.7 gears and 3307 RPM with the 3.73 gears (a 816 RPM difference); this is a substantial difference because now 1 MPH is 661 RPM vs 833.6 (4.70 + standard transfer case - 2.72) and 937 RPM (4.70 + advanced transfer case - 3.06).

People who think that there is a big difference due to just the gears need to go back to math class. The real difference as others noted was the axle strength.
Thank you for a thorough explanation.
It's going to be a daily driver, and probably never see a trail. I just want to make sure it will be able to get out of its own way.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be honest, it IFS is the issue, but Toyota and the 4 Runner have really set the standard for suspensions and lifts for an IFS.

An extra 1-2 inches are about as far as you'll want to go before changing out even the big components of the front system (CV, Ball joints, etc)

To your question, Yes KING will be among the top, FOX will lead as well, don't overlook an upgraded kit from Bilstein either. These three, stage/level being equal will vary by user on which is best; they're all stellar brands that are expensive, but very reliable, each will focus on balance and maintain a good ride while being great off road. My personal favorite hasn't released anything for Bronco and that would be ICON.

First, decide on what stage suspension you want (HOSS/Badlands is a stage 2-3 in my opinion), so you can go to a stage 4-6 maybe with a cost of $3K-$5K. For a stage 7-9 I'll guess somewhere between $8K-$12K for a system overhaul that would be total overkill unless you're going to enter competitions, install a cage, and grab a sponsor or 5! :) Think the Racing 4600 class Bronco.

Anyway, This is me guessing, but a good King upgrade on shocks and a 1" extra lift should be under 3K. You can start there and see if that does it for you, then build around those shocks. Wheels and tires are of course extra.

This is a real rabbit hole if not careful, and I couldn't blame you for going wild.
Thanks for the reply.
Great point on Bilstein, etc.
I had THOUGHT Icon would be a solid choice, but wasn't sure yet.
I actually emailed them.
They're not in the Bronco game ... YET. They said they definitely will be.

Gr8Hortoni

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What's the difference here? car newbie
you’ll hear this referred to as a “budget boost”. Instead of going with larger springs, shocks and arms, this is a spring spacer kit that mounts between the spring and the mount to give the extra lift.
Sponsored