Sponsored

Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts?

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EDIT:
I have provided an update later in this thread for those interested: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...r-ceramic-coating-thoughts.20595/post-1180414

----------------- Original Post Below ---------------
I haven't yet received my Bronco yet but I have friends with nice cars that have added PPF and/or Ceramic coatings to their vehicles and have asked if I'm doing it when I get my truck. I'm thinking about it; but it's all pretty new to me so here goes...

I live in Phoenix and during the summer it's about 6000 degrees outside (rough estimate) and it's sunny about 85-90% of the year; do park in a garage as long as she fits.

What I'm not doing it for:
- looks... i'm not doing it really to "wrap" the truck with visuals or branding; though I know that's an option

What I AM doing it for:
- rock chips from roads - phx/az is synonymous for having the highest frequency of cracked windshields and front-end paint chips/divots
- general sand via wind protection... monsoon/haboobs... nuff said.

I know there's a full body coverage and I'm not thinking that'll really help with Arizona pinstriping (google it); probably just ruin the wrap and void the warranty.
But I'm currently considering a front wrap with front/hood/mirrors/a-pillars... for most on-road issues.

Questions:
- Are any of you doing PPF / ceramicoat? and if so what type / how much of the truck are you wrapping?
- Any experience any of you have regarding it that's PRO getting or AGAINST getting it and why? that'd help.

thanks everybody - just trying to think through this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VehiChase

First Edition
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Ford Bronco (bought 99), 14 Xterra, 89 Daytona
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Same here - following.
I reached out last week for a place here in Nashville to quote me on PFF - seems they want to see it first

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m going to PPF the front end and the front of the hood, I’ll ceramic coat the rest. As an FYI ceramic coating provides no protection whatsoever to the paint. What it’s nice for is that it keeps your car looking shiny, dirt doesn’t stick so it looks cleaner longer and you can rinse dirt off with a hose, it’s essentially a permanent wax but I recommended it, I love it.

Life hack. Do the ceramic yourself for pennies compared to a shops charge. It’ll take you 4-6 hours and work really well. The shops have a different grade of stuff but it doesn’t matter. I did it to my car and it still is going strong 2 years later.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Definitely worth a search, quite a few people have asked this same question.

(FYI: Ceramic coating will protect your rig from the following: Water droplets. Full stop. If you want ceramic coating to protect the paint from impacts you're barking up the wrong tree)

If you wanted the paint to show well, then ceramic coatings are also not what you're going for. Yes, the modern ceramics have great gloss, but they are akin to 1980's waxes in terms of overall depth and warmth. They are the florescent light of surface coatings. Heavy and artificial.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely worth a search, quite a few people have asked this same question.

(FYI: Ceramic coating will protect your rig from the following: Water droplets. Full stop. If you want ceramic coating to protect the paint from impacts you're barking up the wrong tree)

If you wanted the paint to show well, then ceramic coatings are also not what you're going for. Yes, the modern ceramics have great gloss, but they are akin to 1980's waxes in terms of overall depth and warmth. They are the florescent light of surface coatings. Heavy and artificial.
Great info as always, thanks Rick.

Sponsored

stratego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m going to PPF the front end and the front of the hood, I’ll ceramic coat the rest. As an FYI ceramic coating provides no protection whatsoever to the paint. What it’s nice for is that it keeps your car looking shiny, dirt doesn’t stick so it looks cleaner longer and you can rinse dirt off with a hose, it’s essentially a permanent wax but I recommended it, I love it.

Life hack. Do the ceramic yourself for pennies compared to a shops charge. It’ll take you 4-6 hours and work really well. The shops have a different grade of stuff but it doesn’t matter. I did it to my car and it still is going strong 2 years later.
Ceramic coating is awesome and graphene coating extends this idea for a slightly more durable finish. I bought clay bars ($10), turtle wax graphene ($24), and a box of microfiber towels ($8) and I was in business. The materials can easily do 2-3 cars too.

I highly recommend it, it’s like a modern form of wax that is even easier to apply, lasts longer and provides better water shedding/protection. You can’t lose at all, and it makes maintenance washes super quick and easy.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll do some home 'ceramic' coat (none of these are really ceramics as far as I can tell) just to make washing easier. It won't help in any way against chips from flying rocks or scratches. PPF will help some, not sure how much it helps against flying rocks, I guess pebbles won't matter much, but anything that would actually crate a hole in your paint will still cause damage.

I just washed my 18 year old Tacoma, it has 4 or 5 chips in the front of the hood, I think I'll order some 3M PPF on Amazon and apply some just at the front there, really not that hard. Then some 'ceramic coat' product from the auto store after washing so dust and dirt comes off easier.

I'm not spending thousands on full PPF or ceramic coat though, it's not a Lamborghini...

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ceramic coating is awesome and graphene coating extends this idea for a slightly more durable finish. I bought clay bars ($10), turtle wax graphene ($24), and a box of microfiber towels ($8) and I was in business. The materials can easily do 2-3 cars too.

I highly recommend it, it’s like a modern form of wax that is even easier to apply, lasts longer and provides better water shedding/protection. You can’t lose at all, and it makes maintenance washes super quick and easy.
that's the way I'll do it too, not decided on which products I'll buy yet, but yes, a couple hours spent with your new Bronco and done and a lot of $ saved vs going to have it coated somewhere.
That might last an other year or two, but not worth the extra $ to me.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

for your concerns, yes on PPF, no on ceramic coating

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've used both (on the same car). PPF in select areas where you need protection from scratches (rocks, branches). Front hood. Doors if you'll be squeezing between trees and bushes off road. Lower rear panel if you'll be driving without fender flares.

Ceramic for the rest. Protects against UV and the elements. You have to wash as often but you don't have to wax. Saves a ton of time.

Ceramic needs to be reapplied often (~annually) but saves time waxing. PPF provides added protection from objects but needs to be replaced between year 5 and 10. If you wait too long, it will create a mess, putting your paint at risk.

Do your research when selecting a ceramic.

Sponsored

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hood, front fenders, rear fenders, doors, and tailgate are aluminum, so at least it won't rust? I wonder how far off the cactus grey is from the primer under it(on mine) .... Hahahaha.

I know I'm going to pinstripe it on a tree. But full PPF is $$$ and likely feels like you a wearing a condom 24/7. I mean does your Bronco really want that life? Does your couch have that plastic cover? (I'm just throwing gas on the bonfire here 🍺 )

OP
OP
RynoRanger

RynoRanger

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Website
azbluey.com
Vehicle(s)
2.7L Badlands NS 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did front PPF and full ceramic coating on my 2020 Raptor. It came out awesome and was very easy to wash. That being said, the ceramic is fragile when towel drying. My buddy at the shop told me to dry the truck with a leaf blower and only wipe the remaining drops with a microfiber towel unless I wanted to redo the ceramic every couple years. They offer an annual refresh ceramic coating for not too much money. I did love how the water was completely repelled by the coating. PPF is well worth it on the front surfaces. I used to commute from Flagstaff to Phoenix daily, PPF kept my commuter car looking good. Big rocks can still cause dents, but the small impacts on plastic faired well.

On my Bronco assuming I keep my order for a Badlands I’ll do some PPF on the front, door sills, and door edges. If I do ceramic I’ll probably try a DIY kit. If I change my order to a base I’m not sure I’ll worry about it.

Penske Rapid Repair in Scottsdale does great work. Here was my truck after.
Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? 36B69895-25AB-47E8-9DC3-9D510C1F8ABA
Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? 0BD09FD4-816D-45C5-9B8D-C83E1A6D95E8
Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? 647E75EC-67CC-4B47-9EDC-9E8C5A2A4DDD
Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? 176435B2-AF2F-4622-B8F0-79073F7F674C
Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? BF3EAC95-C4C9-4C09-B0FC-4C4A00D6A8C0

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve been considering these ideas myself. Paint seems super thin. Already have a small gash on the back from who knows what…not even a week old.

Ford Bronco Considering PPF (paint protection film) and/or Ceramic coating. Thoughts? 63D3CC91-FC9D-487E-A2F7-A388CD214DB5

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Separately - what are people using to protect MIC/Plastic Surfaces and what are the best options for sealing/preserving soft tops?
Sponsored