First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon / 2017 JK Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotta love how it looks like it's snowing inside the vehicle when they close a clasp or move the top.
I would love it more if I wasn't getting that option... also my wife saw that, and she loved it less than I did. Could have opted out of that since I'm getting a badlands. I guess it's worth a shot to see... It's free. I can tear it out if it sucks this much. I'm sure better aftermarket material will eventually be available... also an aftermarket top. :(
Sponsored

mmorgan

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC JImmy
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is that sound deadening flaking off when he’s removing and putting the panels back on? Damn!
Looks like what someone in another thread commented on. Don't know what the material we see flaking off in these videos is but sure sparkles in the sunlight. Another issue for Ford to resolve.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Eventually the source of the popping noise will be found and fixed. Will be interesting to find out what it is. I'll take this over an electronic issue.

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Odd post; exactly zero people compared it to a nice car, just stated facts about their roof, so the entire basis of your "I'm smarter than you because I got the poor's version of the Bronco" post is rather transparent and sad. Perhaps Ford should not have released the product until the design and execution met the minimum quality standards of a 1985 Yugo GV? Although it sounds like you might consider that a nice car and be unmoved by my suggestion.

Blaming folks for taking it on faith that Ford would never release a roof product that was of such low quality design/construction is the ultimate Ford apologist move. You are seriously suggesting it is the consumer's fault they bought a first or second year Ford instead of asking why Ford didn't catch this and fix it in all their testing? BTW; it is not asking for 'perfection' to desire an extra cost hard-top not squeak and pop every 3.2 seconds from new. If the 4-door roofs can't be made without the rubbing and possible sealing issues, they should not offer it on the 4-door.
Actually, they mentioned in the video that it doesn't have the quality features of a $63,000 vehicle. So technically, it was compared to a nice car..... as far as buying a first year vehicle, I would assume everyone knows this and isn't necessarily ford apologist related. Part of the testing is real world consumer use. This is standard with any vehicle regardless of manufacturer. They all have service bulletins throughout the lifespan of every model. The first year will generally have the most issues and the most service bulletins.

BroncoPA65

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Fords & VW's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update: Per the advice of this forum I isolated the area and siliconed the top thoroughly. No dice, little to no change. Sigh.
Our MIC top sounds like a pop corn machine and driving me up the wall...
I almost didn't reply to this because remote diagnosis is sketchy at best, but since this is kind of like "water torture" when driving for you and everyone else with this issue, I thought I'd put my two cents into this conversation!

Didn't get mine yet (few more weeks) so I'll be looking at it then.

The popping sounds seems more like the "plastic-on-plastic" contact in the toggle latch and it quarter-turn lever area to me instead of softer durometer gasket material, but I didn't hear it on my 2D test drive.

Do you think it might be from the actual toggle latch or quarter-turn lever being too loose?

...End of remote troubleshooting!... (haha)

Last edited:

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe Ford should make this part of their PDI - Ensure all latches are tightened and add loctite where needed. Silicone spray/wipe the seals.

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Odd post; exactly zero people compared it to a nice car, just stated facts about their roof, so the entire basis of your "I'm smarter than you because I got the poor's version of the Bronco" post is rather transparent and sad. Perhaps Ford should not have released the product until the design and execution met the minimum quality standards of a 1985 Yugo GV? Although it sounds like you might consider that a nice car and be unmoved by my suggestion
I'll listen to the video again. I thought the older man compared it to a nice car instead of a competitor. As in, apples and oranges comparison.

The cost was meant to point out that they purposefully got the most expensive version of the vehicle and paid additional markup. Basically, considering they're about off-roading, they caused the price to get that high. Higher than it needed to be. They didn't want to wait I think was what they said in another video.

Yes, as I said in my post, I hope Ford resolves this issue. It shouldn't have been there in the first place.

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's what I was thinking.
How much dirt and debris can there be in a brand new vehicle and the tops have not been removed? (PSA: I am not a Ford certified mechanic but have chased down and fixed many similar sounds over the decades)

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Our MIC top sounds like a pop corn machine and driving me up the wall:

Took the panels off and put them back in, solved the problem for about 4 minutes and now it’s back to its usual. Not to sound dramatic but as a classic british car enthusiast it’s like stepping back in time… Crumpets and drizzle anyone?
I am pretty sure it is NOT the rubber seals/gaskets. It is much more likely to be hard plastic that is under pressure. The only areas that are like that are the "J clamp/hooks" in the front and the "L twist locks". My hunch is it is the L twist lock...

Unlatch one at a time to see which one is the culprit.

Then try and lubricate or add a piece of felt-like material in between.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the reason one springs for the lux package and the B&O sound system. Crank it up and it drowns out the MIC rattle. BTW, the passenger side sun visor rattles on my 06 Mustang GT convertible. As I said, I turn the stereo up.

Sponsored

AceGoliath

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX SAS , 22 Maverick XLT, 10 Fusion SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My job is to look for defects, cracks, and such in industrial settings. I noticed what looks to be some sort of burst while watching the video.
Ford Bronco Issue - MIC top popping / rattle sounds [TFL] 1627858701835

@TFLtruck

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My job is too look for defects, cracks, and such in industrial settings. I noticed what looks to be some sort of burst?
How much you wanna charge to do my delivery inspection????

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I’m more concerned about all those asbestos falling off the FREE sound deadening headliner whenever he touches it.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There has to be some kind of quick and easy band aid fix that will cause it to go away and last till the warranty is over. A poor design, no way. This is just one more of the many issues with the tops. Ford is not going to be wanting to replace every top with a new one, ever.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Take roof panels off and clean dirt/debris from weatherstrips and spray with silicone spray.(Ford Mastertech)
That came to mind, thanks for reinforcing that approach. It will be a bit of a PITA if it needs to be done regularly, but I will give it a shot!
Sponsored