Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Lol, it is literally their job to discuss the interior. From materials used to quality control issues. That’s why people watch their channel.
Listening to those two guys review cars is like listening to a carpenter describe nuclear fusion. My thoughts are this. If you are going to be a car reviewer know something about cars.
Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Listening to those two guys review cars is like listening to a carpenter describe nuclear fusion. My thoughts are this. If you are going to be a car reviewer know something about cars.
I enjoy their content, to each their own.

largo88

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tundra, 2015 Highlander, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I almost didn't reply to this because remote diagnosis is sketchy at best, but since this is kind of like "water torture" when driving for you and everyone else with this issue, I thought I'd put my two cents into this conversation!

Didn't get mine yet (few more weeks) so I'll be looking at it then.

The popping sounds seems more like the "plastic-on-plastic" contact in the toggle latch and it quarter-turn lever area to me instead of softer durometer gasket material, but I didn't hear it on my 2D test drive.

Do you think it might be from the actual toggle latch or quarter-turn lever being too loose?

...End of remote troubleshooting!... (haha)
I think you’re on to something with the pop being “plastic on plastic”. I would try lubing the contact parts of the latches to see if that helps. I would think they may want to try a material with higher lubricity on the contact parts. I’ve seen materials in the McMaster Carr catalog (the engineer’s Sears Roebuck) that are like Delrin but have built in lubricants.

But I wouldn’t be opposed to having the B&O sound system made standard - I’m sure over time there will be lots more rattles and squeaks; a louder radio is just more cost effective.

HRnFW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ /
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On a somewhat unrelated note I have found that cleaning the rubber gaskets with silicon spray and a paper towel and then applying a thin coating of silicon swimming pool grease allows me to pretty much eliminate the squeaks and creaks in my FJ for months at a time , a remarkable feat here in Texas, ground zero for severe heat and dusty conditions which seem to worsen things again with silicon spray only within a few days.
I doubt the popping is gasket related.
Most processes of innovation are reiterative so count on problems and fixes and don’t get discouraged , new stuff has new problems which require new fixes. This forum provides us and Ford a great place to work through this stuff with some amazingly knowledgeable folks in the mix. Development even with carefully controlled and monitored clinical trials for new drugs often finds new side effects and complications when the drugs get into general release. Turning any new product loose will always yield new issues once we get the product out into large numbers of hands. This is the reason why light aircraft have such rudimentary systems that get used because the advanced new stuff has bugs and weird ways of breaking which the old familiar stuff does not even if it is not really state of the art.

Sponsored

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Our MIC top sounds like a pop corn machine and driving me up the wall:

Took the panels off and put them back in, solved the problem for about 4 minutes and now it’s back to its usual. Not to sound dramatic but as a classic british car enthusiast it’s like stepping back in time… Crumpets and drizzle anyone?
Brand new headliner and it still sheds like the one in another video that we all thought was dust. And peeling off the edge too?!?

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll listen to the video again. I thought the older man compared it to a nice car instead of a competitor. As in, apples and oranges comparison.

The cost was meant to point out that they purposefully got the most expensive version of the vehicle and paid additional markup. Basically, considering they're about off-roading, they caused the price to get that high. Higher than it needed to be. They didn't want to wait I think was what they said in another video.

Yes, as I said in my post, I hope Ford resolves this issue. It shouldn't have been there in the first place.
They paid $400 less than MSRP.

Roman mentioned a fancier SUV (GV80) and Tommy countered with “The GV80 doesn’t have 2 locking diffs though” and Roman said “that is true”. It’s a stretch to compare for sure, but looking at the differences between a BaseSquatch and a FE, I would expect something nicer on the interior for the price difference as well.

Cased

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dune buggy
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think you’re on to something with the pop being “plastic on plastic”. I would try lubing the contact parts of the latches to see if that helps. I would think they may want to try a material with higher lubricity on the contact parts. I’ve seen materials in the McMaster Carr catalog (the engineer’s Sears Roebuck) that are like Delrin but have built in lubricants.
Nylatron is one of those that works well for strength and quiet

Sponsored

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It looks like the middle roof and the front panels are flexing big time.
I am betting the removable center section is the culprit- not strong enough to span the vehicle and hold the front panels
Bing bing bing! My thoughts exactly. Also, tightening every screw and bolt as well. Every new car I've always done this. ps: don't forget the duct tape.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Mine pops from the drivers side panel. Not as dramatic as you and TFL mention, but it’s there. I have a host of issues with my top, so I am reporting them to my dealer and subsequently to Ford. I assume the entire top will need to be replaced when Ford has a supplier or Webasto pulls out of this never ending issue making these tops.
This video mentions clicking also.

BroncoPA65

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Fords & VW's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But I wouldn’t be opposed to having the B&O sound system made standard - I’m sure over time there will be lots more rattles and squeaks; a louder radio is just more cost effective.
Haha, "...a louder radio is just more cost effective."

Yeah, there are a handful of materials readily available in the McMaster catalog (and others). UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene), PTFE (Teflon), Delrin (which is Acetal) that might be applicable depending upon where it's actually occurring. Who knows, it might be in the latch itself!

I'm hoping mine won't have this problem (but that's unlikely), so once it arrives I'll have to dig into how to get rid of it (before winter because it'll probably be worse in the cold).

I'm sure that Ford (Webasto) is conducting root cause analysis and coming up with corrective actions for this issue. It'd be crazy if they weren't!

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks like what someone in another thread commented on. Don't know what the material we see flaking off in these videos is but sure sparkles in the sunlight. Another issue for Ford to resolve.
It could be that material is new with loose fibers that nobody has vacuumed yet. I sure hope that would stop it.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How much dirt and debris can there be in a brand new vehicle and the tops have not been removed? (PSA: I am not a Ford certified mechanic but have chased down and fixed many similar sounds over the decades)
Perhaps, part of the problem is the seals are so new that they haven't settled in yet?
Sponsored