First Name
sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ram 1500 warlock, mitsu outlander sport
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Ranger forums have a thread about fuel in the oil, some with very few miles. Any inputs?

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/5...oost-5-Star-SCT-BDX-Tuner-w-Custom-Tunes.html

The 2.3L EcoBoost's factory tuning leaves plenty on the table for 5-Star to work with and really transform your Ranger. The average baseline power output of 5-Star's test truck at stock 93 octane was about 256 horsepower and roughly 281lb-ft of torque. With 5-Star's powerful 93 octane Performance tune, that same 2.3L EcoBoost truck put down an average of 312 horsepower and 369lb-ft of peak torque. That's a gain of 56 horsepower and 88lb-ft of torque over stock at peak increase. Most impressively is that the maximum gain in peak torque took place at 3450rpm, where stock torque sat at a measly 281lb-ft, giving you a big bump in pulling power and off-the-line performance without the turbo lag and hesitation of the factory tune. In additional testing, the tuned Ranger performed a 0-60 MPH test in only 5.49 seconds while the stock clocked in at a significantly slower 7.44 seconds with the same test conditions and constraints. The power gains are paired up with greatly overhauled transmission shift points and shift pressures which take most of the sluggishness out of your 2019-2020 Ranger and let you really enjoy its improved power output.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As someone coming from an 08 4runner I have done nothing but regular maintenance on it since it was new I think you need to table Toyota like reliability / depreciation expectations. It was hard for me to come to terms with this as well.

But in the end it is a Ford....
That toyota reliability argument is annoying Ford has always made motors that last 300,000 before needing a head gasket and a re ring, the thing is that its largely the owners and their lack of regular maintenance and or abusive driving that causes premature failure. The only ford that I ever had internal damage on under 300,000 miles was when I tried to race a 3000gt on the highway in a 78 econoline with a carb, intake and headers. I was going 70+ saw him coming up fast so I stomped it. Never thought it would downshift to second, but it did. Probably jumped to over 6000 rpm instantly and snapped the crank at the dampner. At the same time i had a buddy with a toyota pickup and a 22re. Had a cracked head and only fired on 3 cylinders. They tried welding the head and it lasted another month before it was a pile of smoke, dead under 200,000.

The fact that there are still a few Yugos in the world that are running is testament that maintenance is what keeps em alive.

GT5050

Black Diamond
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Pound for pound the 4door Bronco looks like the same size as a F150, if not a little heavier, but Ford doesn't offer the 2.3L turbo in the F150....
Ranger would be closer I bet

Sponsored

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No but ford has the 3.3 n/a in the f150 that’s a lot weaker than the 2.3
Which I would prefer. "Weakness" isn't my concern.
I know this is just going to end up with me living out the Einstein insanity quote, but I have to try just one more time.

I know you would love to have a good size N/A aspirated engine that only puts out 150HP cause you’re not worried about weakness. Because why not right! They’re only down on power, efficiency and we all know they turn over every single time with no issue! (This is what I was referring to in my earlier post about being stuck on decades old engine tech)

It’s not like Ford found a 2.3 or 2.7 N/A engine in the warehouse and decided to slap a turbo on it like some ricer. These engines were designed and engineered to work with these turbos and withstand whatever can be thrown at it.

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That toyota reliability argument is annoying Ford has always made motors that last 300,000 before needing a head gasket and a re ring, the thing is that its largely the owners and their lack of regular maintenance and or abusive driving that causes premature failure. The only ford that I ever had internal damage on under 300,000 miles was when I tried to race a 3000gt on the highway in a 78 econoline with a carb, intake and headers. I was going 70+ saw him coming up fast so I stomped it. Never thought it would downshift to second, but it did. Probably jumped to over 6000 rpm instantly and snapped the crank at the dampner. At the same time i had a buddy with a toyota pickup and a 22re. Had a cracked head and only fired on 3 cylinders. They tried welding the head and it lasted another month before it was a pile of smoke, dead under 200,000.

The fact that there are still a few Yugos in the world that are running is testament that maintenance is what keeps em alive.
I wasn't making a Toyota reliability argument. I was just saying I'd like a 180hp NA V6, and referenced a Toyota I used to own.

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know this is just going to end up with me living out the Einstein insanity quote, but I have to try just one more time.

I know you would love to have a good size N/A aspirated engine that only puts out 150HP cause you’re not worried about weakness. Because why not right! They’re only down on power, efficiency and we all know they turn over every single time with no issue! (This is what I was referring to in my earlier post about being stuck on decades old engine tech)

It’s not like Ford found a 2.3 or 2.7 N/A engine in the warehouse and decided to slap a turbo on it like some ricer. These engines were designed and engineered to work with these turbos and withstand whatever can be thrown at it.
They stopped making NA engines decades ago? I can't believe I missed that.

Why don't they put the 2.3L in the F150? They are the same weight, or even a little less than the 4door bronco. Why are they putting a (20 year old?) 3.3L NA V6 in them?

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why don't they put the 2.3L in the F150? They are the same weight, or even a little less than the 4door bronco. Why are they putting a (20 year old?) 3.3L NA V6 in them?
Ford Bronco 4 cylinder 4 door? Really? 1595199766620

Yup I’m living the Einstein quote. If you end up with a Bronco awesome, I hope it serves you well and you have good times in it. If you don’t get a Bronco then oh well I hope you find something that will meet your wants/needs. Good luck

Sponsored

ParsonsWV

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cummins, 2020 Gt500 ordered
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I am going to assume you are an older person. Most older people don't like the idea of turbo's because when they first became mainstream they weren't the greatest. That was also 30 years ago? A lot has changed since then. Better technology and tons more R&D. The US has also largely used superchargers over turbo's for years. Turbo's are the way the engine market is going to get the power and fuel efficiency. Not sure why you would want older technology that is less efficient, slower and heavier.

Cody never said they stopped making NA engines decades ago. Pretty sure he said exactly as I just did that you are to stubborn to try something new and want to complain about Ford not putting an out of date motor in the bronco.

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco 4 cylinder 4 door? Really? 1595199766620

Yup I’m living the Einstein quote. If you end up with a Bronco awesome, I hope it serves you well and you have good times in it. If you don’t get a Bronco then oh well I hope you find something that will meet your wants/needs. Good luck
Bummer. I thought you might explain why the ecoboost V6 isn't offered on the F250s either. It's almost as if they might have limits after all.

codydb19

Big Bend
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am going to assume you are an older person. Most older people don't like the idea of turbo's because when they first became mainstream they weren't the greatest. That was also 30 years ago? A lot has changed since then. Better technology and tons more R&D. The US has also largely used superchargers over turbo's for years. Turbo's are the way the engine market is going to get the power and fuel efficiency. Not sure why you would want older technology that is less efficient, slower and heavier.

Cody never said they stopped making NA engines decades ago. Pretty sure he said exactly as I just did that you are to stubborn to try something new and want to complain about Ford not putting an out of date motor in the bronco.
Don’t bother engaging man. It’s just gonna be a waste of your time. Several of us have tried and then the goalpost get moved.

It’s time for everyone to just let this thread die off.

OP
OP

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I specifically questioned the 2.3 in the 4door Bronco. Nothing more nothing less. The assumptions made from there have been impressive.

Believe it or not I'm still leaning toward buying a Bronco (2door) with the 2.3. Just because I've had some discussions about possible other engines I'd like more doesn't mean I'm a hater. The amount of gatekeeping around the vehicle that no one has driven yet is impressive.

KillaC

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96’ wrangler, 18’ GTI, 20’ 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rich Catholic school teens and sorority girls will be fine with the 4-cyl
hey some of us former Catholic school/sorority girls know our way around trucks, or at least I do. And while I’m not thrilled about the 4-blow, I’m seriously considering it because I loathe driving automatics.
Sponsored