First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t get it. How about just get the Sasquatch and be happy? Or you can do this and open a can of worms 🐛 along with kissing away your warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP
evilletruck

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The strut bolts to the lower control arm are top down for a reason. If the nut falls off the bolt will remain in place until you can pull over. Bottom up there’s nothing to retain the bolt and it will fall out if there’s a failure and you will have hard time keeping the vehicle on the road. Do not do what this guy did.

Also when he rotates the strut to line back up to the control arm mount it is pputting the spring out of the perch alignment. Looks like it happened in the rear as well.
Thanks will double check the spring perches, I’m not concerned too much about bolts falling out I will recheck torques after 100 miles and put some torque stripe on them easy visual check every so often though never had a bolt just fall off.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks will double check the spring perches, I’m not concerned too much about bolts falling out I will recheck torques after 100 miles and put some torque stripe on them easy visual check every so often though never had a bolt just fall off.
Yeah, I've twisted a few wrenches in my long life and don't remember a nut/bolt just falling off in a high torqued situation. Locktight an torque stripe a good idea, but damn they'd be making a lot of noise before they fell off. Just like the factory set up would be popping and banging before it fell off. Of all the things to worry about with this vehicle, this ain't one of them

OP
OP
evilletruck

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don’t get it. How about just get the Sasquatch and be happy? Or you can do this and open a can of worms 🐛 along with kissing away your warranty.
Warranty not voided if your dealership tries to tell you it is, you have a shit dealership and need to find a new one.

only reason I went with this lift is it’s what’s currently available, will eventually do with larger one, once they are available, knowing I would change the wheels and tires anyway and do a different lift eventually seemed a waste of money to spend on Sasquatch and potentially delay delivery.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know some of you are considering doing this lift yourself, or wondering if you could/should attempt it.

Here is a video of my experience with it (Individual results may vary ;). )

it there a reason why you didn't just pop loose the lower ball joint, and just lower the lower a frame to remove the coilover

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Warranty not voided if your dealership tries to tell you it is, you have a shit dealership and need to find a new one.

only reason I went with this lift is it’s what’s currently available, will eventually do with larger one, once they are available, knowing I would change the wheels and tires anyway and do a different lift eventually seemed a waste of money to spend on Sasquatch and potentially delay delivery.
the whole warranty was not voided, but anything to do with your front suspension can be contested and you really don't have a leg to stand on...

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, I've twisted a few wrenches in my long life and don't remember a nut/bolt just falling off in a high torqued situation. Locktight an torque stripe a good idea, but damn they'd be making a lot of noise before they fell off. Just like the factory set up would be popping and banging before it fell off. Of all the things to worry about with this vehicle, this ain't one of them
The problem with not using some "locking" mechanism, especially on bolts for moving parts, is even a little loose and many times you start destroying the parts they hold together, pretty quick.

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the whole warranty was not voided, but anything to do with your front suspension can be contested and you really don't have a leg to stand on...
While that would be my normal interpretation of the warranty situation. There is a counterpoint argument that Ford might be a bit more flexible in this particular area. After all they put the "Lift me baby" Easter egg on the vehicle in the wheel well. It would seem a Little odd for them to then complain about someone doing that. :rolleyes:

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Cheap lift kits on expensive trucks. I don’t get it. Is not one producing real lift kits?

OP
OP
evilletruck

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Cheap lift kits on expensive trucks. I don’t get it. Is not one producing real lift kits?
Not yet, companies need Broncos to do R&D, sure they have measurements and can FAB things up that "should" fit but it takes time to actually fit things test them, etc.. so until then, a puck lift it is.

Sponsored
OP
OP
evilletruck

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fair enough , though when I think warrantee I don't think suspension components , I think power train. If any suspension components broke , I would probably blame my own work too and just go ahead and replace it myself anyway.

it there a reason why you didn't just pop loose the lower ball joint, and just lower the lower a frame to remove the coilover

The LCA and lower ball joint sit inside the steering knuckle, in order to get it out you would have to take just as much apart and then disconnect the lower ball joint.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
9:13 of the video, he clearly states that he installs a lock washer.

Apology time?
yes i see that now. better than nothing.. everything i said still holds true however.

my biggest concern is the spring in the perch. at 8:29 you can clearly see as he uses the pry bar to rotate the strut body to line everything up, the spring doesn't move with it.

i believe the issue here is that the spacer used offsets the strut top bolts by maybe 30* or so. the only way to add the spacer and have everything line up would be to loosen the strut nut and install everything so it's lined back up. or a spacer that uses the same orientation as the original bolts.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think you are over thinking it.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
uh no

the spring sitting correctly in the perch is important.

the upside down bolt thing you can do what you want. the reasoning for protection or clearance isn't enough of one vs the risk IF a failure was to occur.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored