Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So basically the Black Diamond is the more budget rout for an advanced off-roader.
Negatives include: (maybe) no 12” screen, no upgraded sound system and that’s pretty much it besides the sway bar right?
I wonder what the end price difference will be.
We don't know what the interior looks like as well. Could be different interiors for different trim levels.

OP
OP
rjkmoto

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yes, that’s what they’re saying, but when things are said and done, comparably equipped builds are going to be around the same price no matter which trim they are. There may be a sweet spot, but it won’t be much.

The badlands comes with the entire Sasquatch package except the rims and tires. So, adding the Sasquatch package to the black diamond will be a lot more expensive and will bring it right around where the badlands starts at.
Not necessarily- I based this off the “$6,780” difference between the Badlands and the Wildtrak. If you add that $6,780 you are potentially getting not only the Sasquatch package but also the 2.7L engine, an Automatic transmission AND a hard top (none of those are standard on the Base Badlands but all of those ARE standard on the base Wildtrak - including Bigfoot). Hence the idea that that price difference is a clue/might be fairly accurate as to what those options would run price wise ....

When you add those options (minus the Sasquatch itself) to the base Badlands, you are still more than the Black Diamond with Bigfoot and the Black Diamond at that point is only missing the sway bar disconnect.

Now the Badlands also already has some of the Sasquatch on it so it might come down to picking the Black Diamond + Sasquatch or a “base” Badlands and a higher trim ...

One thing I haven’t specifically seen (maybe the Jalopnik article touched on it) but how the 190 vs 220 Danatrek front axle is chosen (I think it’s tied to the fancy 4x4 system).

Choices are fun? ?

JK

Last edited:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO, Black Diamond with Squatch is probably a better off road performer than a Badlands without Squatch in most practical situations. You need a very specific set of circumstances where extra flex will get through a trail easier than bigger tires and more lift.
Flex comes into play more than you realize even on rutted fire roads. Anything that helps keep the wheels on the ground is going to improve your forward momentum & life on the trail. Because a wheel in the air even if it's only 1/8" has zero traction. The less the vehicle has to work to get through a section of trail, the better it is for the vehicle. For example, you have a wheel spinning in the air at speed and all of a sudden it meets the resistance of the ground, it sends a shock through the driveline that can lead to a needed trail repair.

OP
OP
rjkmoto

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Also keep in mind the SYNC4 is going to include Android Auto and Apple Car play across all trims (there is a thread on this) .... so unless the big screen is just something you have to have you should be able to get all the functionality you need with one of the car play setups - relative the big screen functionality.

JK

Sponsored

jbe89

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unless Ford changes their mind, the Badlands is the only way to get everything in the Sasquatch package minus 35's with the 7 speed manual. I expect the Black Diamond with Sasquatch to come in at around $2,000 more than the base Badlands because of needing to add automatic. These can get expensive quick, I believe a Black Diamond 2 door will top out at $48,000 with Sasquatch, Mid Package, 2.7, and Auto. For me, I plan to get a 2 door Black Diamond 7 speed manual without any options except the rook rack, tow package, and maybe the upgraded wheels: this should easily get me anywhere I might go and carry all my toys.

Last edited:

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So if I read this right... get the Badlands manual trans, no Sqatch, and upgrade to the high/lux (defending on wife’s wants) and finish off with wheels and tires...
How did you find this and what other info is available?

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a desert dweller who intentionally moved away from the snow I much prefer the terrain the Badlands name represents to a skiing reference lol
Haha, I've lived in Chicago and Las Vegas so I hear you on that. I've lived all over the country, but I escaped the frozen midwestern tundra when I was 18 and never looked back.

FWIW Black Diamond also refers to trails, but the badge definitely leans into the skiing reference.

OP
OP
rjkmoto

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unless Ford changes their mind, the Badlands is the only way to get everything in the Sasquatch package minus 35's with the 7 speed manual. I expect the Black Diamond with Sasquatch to come in at around $2,000 more than the base Badlands because of needing to add automatic. These can get expensive quick, I believe a Black Diamond 2 door will top out at $48,000 with Sasquatch, Mid Package, 2.7, and Auto. For me, I plan to get a 2 door Black Diamond without any options except the rook rack, tow package, and maybe the upgraded wheels: this should easily get me anywhere I might go and carry all my toys.
If you look at the f150 it’s $995 to go from the 2.3L to the 2.7L and if you look at the mustang it’s like $1600~ to get the 10spd auto over the manual.

Just guessing but the $6,780 difference between badlands and Wildtrak might be a little low for all the upgrades (Engine, trans, hard top and the Sasquatch) but I don’t think it’s that far off.

4 door Black Diamond with 2.7L, Auto, Hardtop, Sasquatch (+$6,780) is $45,325

4 Door Badlands with the same upgrades is $51,370.
The only difference of consequence at that point is the sway bar on the Badlands.

JK

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unless Ford changes their mind, the Badlands is the only way to get everything in the Sasquatch package minus 35's with the 7 speed manual. I expect the Black Diamond with Sasquatch to come in at around $2,000 more than the base Badlands because of needing to add automatic. These can get expensive quick, I believe a Black Diamond 2 door will top out at $48,000 with Sasquatch, Mid Package, 2.7, and Auto. For me, I plan to get a 2 door Black Diamond 7 speed manual without any options except the rook rack, tow package, and maybe the upgraded wheels: this should easily get me anywhere I might go and carry all my toys.
You and I are on the exact same page with our choices. I may add the mid package if it's less than $1200 and I will definitely upgrade the wheels and possibly get 33's if they offer from factory.
Wanting to keep this BD build below 42K

Sponsored

MAFD

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 328i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So if I read this right... get the Badlands manual trans, no Sqatch, and upgrade to the high/lux (defending on wife’s wants) and finish off with wheels and tires...
This is what I'm leaning towards as well but I wonder if there are any long term implications (ie: clutch) with a 2.3L Manual transmission and 35" tires. Depending on price, I might have to go with Black Diamond, manual trans and aftermarket 35's.

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is what I'm leaning towards as well but I wonder if there are any long term implications (ie: clutch) with a 2.3L Manual transmission and 35" tires. Depending on price, I might have to go with Black Diamond, manual trans and aftermarket 35's.
To my admittedly amateur understanding, any upgrade to 35's (which I want as well) will require a lift of some sort to accommodate them.

MAFD

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 328i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To my admittedly amateur understanding, any upgrade to 35's (which I want as well) will require a lift of some sort to accommodate them.
Yep, I assume that would be the case but that still leaves me concerned with the clutch "issues" some folks are already calling out. To be completely honest, I really like the 4 door Bronco on 35's but would love to have a manual. I admittedly wont be doing any hardcore offroad so It will just be a Daily driver but I don't want to spend $$$ on something that's going to cause me problems in the future because I'm adamant on Manual + 35's.

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, I assume that would be the case but that still leaves me concerned with the clutch "issues" some folks are already calling out. To be completely honest, I really like the 4 door Bronco on 35's but would love to have a manual. I admittedly wont be doing any hardcore offroad so It will just be a Daily driver but I don't want to spend $$$ on something that's going to cause me problems in the future because I'm adamant on Manual + 35's.
Well, after 3 years of the JLs on 33’s with lower (higher?) gears (4.10 for Rubi), what issues have been seen? Many of them went with 35s after market, no lift.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Flex comes into play more than you realize even on rutted fire roads. Anything that helps keep the wheels on the ground is going to improve your forward momentum & life on the trail. Because a wheel in the air even if it's only 1/8" has zero traction. The less the vehicle has to work to get through a section of trail, the better it is for the vehicle. For example, you have a wheel spinning in the air at speed and all of a sudden it meets the resistance of the ground, it sends a shock through the driveline that can lead to a needed trail repair.
More than I realize? I think you underestimate my trail experience.
Sponsored