JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As most, I am back and forth on what trim I want and options I want to add. My use 97% of the time will be top off, around town, back and forth to work, etc. I hope to get out on a trail every once in a while as it is something I have always wanted to do, but have never had the vehicle or time to. With that said, I will essentially be building a mall crawler based on the specs I want and the actual utilization of said specs.

This got me thinking, are the sports cars like Mustang GT500, BMW M3, etc. considered "mall crawlers" if you are not racing them or drag racing them all the time or at all?

Curious to hear the thoughts on this as I always hear folks talking about mall crawlers in the context of Wranglers with 35" tires, but have never heard anyone comment negatively on a unnecessarily powerful car.
Sponsored

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think any performance car that's not driven as intended is a mall crawler. Vast majority of Vettes, Mustangs, Raptors, etc.--all mall crawlers.

For Broncos, I think the WildTrak will likely end up as the "factory" mall crawler, but we'll see.

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Outer Banks or Wildtrak is mall crawler trim, especially Outer Banks. The gearing is much lower than the other trims, comes with passenger rated road tires and a lot of superfluous cosmetic stuff like painted fender flares.

I'm not sure "mall crawler" really applies to GT cars like the M3 or Mustang. Sure I drive mine to the mall alot, but I sure don't crawl there lol (I think the "crawler" comes from driving big knobby rock crawling tires 100% on pavement). You're simply not using the capability of the vehicle for that, also applies to any trailhawk trim of Jeep (Grand)Cherokee.

Even taking your muscle car to the mall and not racing you can still play stop light hero and rev the engine up. I never even listen to the stereo because the engine note is entertainment enough.

scotts418

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 392
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Outer Banks is the trim based on tires and tech oriented features. Upgrade the engine and it’ll be a really fast, fun top off cruiser in my opinion. I reserved badlands but may switch to a less off-roading model now that I’ve had a few days to consider my actual uses.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I will essentially be building a mall crawler
In 20 years no one's gonna even know what that means. It'll be in the way-back machine along with liquid paper & buggy whips.

BroncoST

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 fiesta STs
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We just need something for flood waters we get in SWFL. The Bronco will probably go off road.....never maybe? Lol. Still getting the 35" tires just cause it looks so damn good. Mall crawler or not, don't care. Work commutes are short too, we barley put 8k/year on our cars. Moral of the story, buy what you want and F what others think.

drugdealr

Wildtrak
First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m going for a squatched Wildtrak. I’ve never been off roading in my life, but I figure this will be the car that will finally get me out to do some off roading, being that it’s so capable.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Aren't mall crawlers SUV's?

Never heard it applied to performance cars before

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Don't put large chrome wheels on it and you've already distanced yourself from the old mall crawler crowd.

Although, I agree with others that the term "mall crawler" has become quite dated and really isn't a thing much anymore. They invented the crossover and buyers luxed those things out with leather and chrome. I think what I see more now is the "Overlanding Poser". It's Tuesday morning commute and the guy next to you has a Jeep loaded to max for a long trip... to the office.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The term you’re searching for is Garage Queens for cars. Mall Crawlers are off roaders that’s never leave the pavement.
Aren't garage queens low mileage cars that are driven every other Sunday or to parties?

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't put large chrome wheels on it and you've already distanced yourself from the old mall crawler crowd.

Although, I agree with others that the term "mall crawler" has become quite dated and really isn't a thing much anymore. They invented the crossover and buyers luxed those things out with leather and chrome. I think what I see more now is the "Overlanding Poser". It's Tuesday morning commute and the guy next to you has a Jeep loaded to max for a long trip... to the office.
On totally flat terrain no less

NewBronco

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
<-- Closely watching thread to figure out how to spec his Mall Crawler :cool:

I'm with ya OP, I've been in the market for a new car for a few months, but nothing speaks to me. That is, until I watched the Bronco reveal last week. I WANT ONE! Been spending a bit of time since then learning about tires, road noise, road manners of Jeeps.

Call it what you want, mall crawler, poser, whatever! I'm gonna rock that ride to the office!

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We just need something for flood waters we get in SWFL. The Bronco will probably go off road.....never maybe? Lol. Still getting the 35" tires just cause it looks so damn good. Mall crawler or not, don't care. Work commutes are short too, we barley put 8k/year on our cars. Moral of the story, buy what you want and F what others think.
Sweet fiesta!

I know you could take that multiple ways, but my wife has a fiesta st - fun little car but definitely challenged in flood waters.
Sponsored