Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Why not stick it vertically on the DS door pillar?
Sponsored

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If a keypad inside this flap is able to ignite a perfect air/fuel mixture and explode/melt a bronco, I'll eat my hat.
The issue would be during fueling ops...there are quite a few vids of static electricity doing this very thing and to think an internal spark from this device would not be capable of the same seems to overlook viable risks. I hope you dont have to eat your hat but folks should consider the risks and talk to someone knowledgeable.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The issue would be during fueling ops...there are quite a few vids of static electricity doing this very thing and to think an internal spark from this device would not be capable of the same seems to overlook viable risks. I hope you dont have to eat your hat but folks should consider the risks and talk to someone knowledgeable.
Fires during fueling events typically occur at the intersection of:

1. Malfunctioning / non-present vapor recovery systems

2. Large static electrical discharge from people reentering and then exiting their vehicles, and discharging the charge at the filler spout.

Even with those two situations, the occurrence of fires is pretty small since the fuel vapor ratio needs to be pretty specific.

I'm pretty confident that the typical bronco owner, using typical 1st world gas stations, and the relatively small voltages inside of those key pads... particularly while not being used and the types of membrane switches that are utilized... poses no practicable threat of conflagration.

But that's just my humble opinion.

:)

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah nothing like electricity and gas combo! Should be fire!

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know a few people have said that the fuel door doesn't lock when the car is locked is this confirmed?
I can't even scrub the side of my civic when washing it without the fuel door popping open if the car is unlocked, this would be a PITA on an off road vehicle especially with the cap less system.
Fires during fueling events typically occur at the intersection of:

1. Malfunctioning / non-present vapor recovery systems

2. Large static electrical discharge from people reentering and then exiting their vehicles, and discharging the charge at the filler spout.

Even with those two situations, the occurrence of fires is pretty small since the fuel vapor ratio needs to be pretty specific.

I'm pretty confident that the typical bronco owner, using typical 1st world gas stations, and the relatively small voltages inside of those key pads... particularly while not being used and the types of membrane switches that are utilized... poses no practicable threat of conflagration.

But that's just my humble opinion.

:)
further to this, who’s going to be operating their keypad while refueling? The device won’t spark when idle…and I don’t think it will spark at any rate. It’s likely under 6VDC because of the extremely low battery draw. These things should last for years - the one on my old 2005 Focus (sold to my daughter) lasted 13 years, FYI.

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Keypad_Fuel Door.jpg

Ever since I seen this image I have been wondering if this would work on the Bronco with the new keypad. in case anyone else was wondering I took matters in my own hands. Shout out to the service department for letting me borrow one for my experiment.

20210810_165205.jpg

20210810_165233.jpg

It seems like it will work, what do you guys think?
Static Electricity and Gas .... What could possibly go wrong? Hello Johnny Knoxville we have a new project for you.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let me guess- you are a "greenie". You eat gluten free and organic stuff. You never go over the speed limit? LOL
The unit is designed to be mounted outside so its waterproof. If its waterproof that means it's airtight. How do you expect the fumes to get inside?

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey so I just thought of something and didn't check on the ones we had show up for orders... but doesn't the fuel door lock on the bronco when the bronco is locked? So wouldn't that create a bit of an issue?

EDIT: Just checked on my co-workers base 2 door... does not lock... I'll go back in my hole now.

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Let me guess- you are a "greenie". You eat gluten free and organic stuff. You never go over the speed limit? LOL
The unit is designed to be mounted outside so its waterproof. If its waterproof that means it's airtight. How do you expect the fumes to get inside?
Me no...I am an infantry veteran that still shoots master class IDPA, 3 gun and build all kinds of guns with shooting range at my house and nope don't pick up the lead but reload the brass for sure! I have multiple ATVs and UTVs and drive an oh so green 2020 Raptor. Heck yea, I eat a ton of "organic" stuff I have an awesome garden with 16 raised beds and 20X40 tilled section and I even have chickens, horses and donkeys!
I think your education may be lacking in the intrinsically safe devices as to what that means and conditions for testing. But hey, keep making baseless insults and assumptions against people you do not know continuing to prove your general dickheadedness!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey that's my picture. lol

It should work and the black shell just pops off which will give you a little extra room for mounting if needed.
Yup, As @AzScorpion has said, it's been tried and true for Ranger since it launched in 2019 and has many threads/posts on keypad relocations.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...keypad-to-another-location.10882/#post-279327

Now, that being said, there's been multiple TSB's on that part and it's of questionable reliability. We're on our 4th unit with the 5th ordered and the first TSB for us came during the build of our Ranger which delayed our truck by about 4 months (ohhhhhh, B6G members would be frothing at the mouth with anger at a 4 month delay due to an accessory part TSB!).

• The initial unit was dead upon delivery of Ranger
  • Second unit installed a month later. With a dead battery
  • Third keypad wouldn't sync to the truck (installed approx 6 months after delivery)
  • Fourth unit is the "updated part"
    • First, second and third batteries lasted a week each
    • Fourth battery lasted during the pairing process at the dealership
    • Fifth battery is of unknown charge, we no longer use the keypad and wouldn't trust the keypad to work in any situation. We absolutely carry our keyfob at all times, including while out hiking, and have a waterproof bag for it due to the untrustworthy nature of the keypad.
  • Still waiting for the fifth unit to be delivered, Dealership is waiting until after Bronco deliveries start happening as we're guessing it's another new part (from the same manufacturer as all the previous keypads, ROCKSTARS!)

Somehow we keep getting the same keypad batch that's under SSM48026 (2019 Ranger only) yet that part should have been out of production for about 3 years now.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tsb-ssm-48026-2019-ranger-securicode-keyless-entry-keypad-inoperative-keyless-entry-key-pad.3496/

But hey, I truly hope the keypad works for you and doesn't leave you stranded out in some remote condition where you have to bust open a window to access the Bronco.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
for those concerned, I have had my key pad installed on the inside of the fuel door of my 2003 ranger for close to 10 years with no issues. The unit is still on the original battery also.
You, my friend, have a veeeeeeeeeeeeery different unit than what Ford offers today. You have what they call a "functioning" unit. Now they have a bunch of upgrades to it so it doesn't work.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, As @AzScorpion has said, it's been tried and true for Ranger since it launched in 2019 and has many threads/posts on keypad relocations.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...keypad-to-another-location.10882/#post-279327

Now, that being said, there's been multiple TSB's on that part and it's of questionable reliability. We're on our 4th unit with the 5th ordered and the first TSB for us came during the build of our Ranger which delayed our truck by about 4 months (ohhhhhh, B6G members would be frothing at the mouth with anger at a 4 month delay due to an accessory part TSB!).

• The initial unit was dead upon delivery of Ranger
  • Second unit installed a month later. With a dead battery
  • Third keypad wouldn't sync to the truck (installed approx 6 months after delivery)
  • Fourth unit is the "updated part"
    • First, second and third batteries lasted a week each
    • Fourth battery lasted during the pairing process at the dealership
    • Fifth battery is of unknown charge, we no longer use the keypad and wouldn't trust the keypad to work in any situation. We absolutely carry our keyfob at all times, including while out hiking, and have a waterproof bag for it due to the untrustworthy nature of the keypad.
  • Still waiting for the fifth unit to be delivered, Dealership is waiting until after Bronco deliveries start happening as we're guessing it's another new part (from the same manufacturer as all the previous keypads, ROCKSTARS!)

Somehow we keep getting the same keypad batch that's under SSM48026 (2019 Ranger only) yet that part should have been out of production for about 3 years now.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tsb-ssm-48026-2019-ranger-securicode-keyless-entry-keypad-inoperative-keyless-entry-key-pad.3496/

But hey, I truly hope the keypad works for you and doesn't leave you stranded out in some remote condition where you have to bust open a window to access the Bronco.
Surprised they don’t make the battery replaceable, even if you needed to unscrew something to get to it. Maybe I’m just using too much common sense, who knows.
Sponsored