Sponsored

Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen...

Norsk82

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Tacoma TRD Sport 6MT. Bronco on reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't like the Gladiator, but...Just realized yesterday I cannot get a Big Bend with a manual transsmission AND the mid package... and have to move up to badlands. I will wait until the MY2022 order banks open and hopefully I can order the Bronco I want. I just dont want to be forced into a trim that I don't need for 49.9k... Ford has forced me into the fence and now this manual Taco is staring at me, fully loaded for less than 45k 🤔

Screenshot_20210204-123855~2.png

I have a '20 Tacoma TRD Sport 6MT. You will be disappointed with the engine and leg room in the backseat. It doesnt have the better pickup power like the Bronco do. 2.3L Turbo would destroy any tuned Tacomas. My tacoma is tuned. Tacoma is 278/265 vs 2.3L 270/310 (87 Gas) / 300/330 (93 Gas). The Tacoma do not have low end power like the Bronco do. Bronco 4 door 2nd row leg room is 36.3 while the tacoma 4 door 2nd row legroom is 32.6. When I have the backseat down, and my wife couldn't get the front seat recline down. That's another con for me.

Tacoma is a great truck, and I enjoy driving it! My truck is Coyoza tuned, 2.5" Lift with Bilstein 5100 with OME887 Coils, and Falken Wildpeak AT3W E load Range. The tune made the truck better, and it helps with the low end power.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yes. The cab on the Bronco would need to be redesigned, possibly a new / altered frame, plus a new box, plus who knows what other components would need to be added / altered to suit those changes. All for what, to give Ford another Truck that doesn't do much different for the vast majority of truck buyers the Ranger doesn't already do? Meanwhile, a specialty Ranger like a Raptor trim line would be far cheaper to produce, and would confuse the public less. Like what Dodge / Chrysler / Ram / Jeep did, if there was no Ranger, I could see a Bronco pick-up, as the Gladiator exists only because the Dakota won't.

If the Ranger sales drop off, it the Maverick doesn't do well, all while the Bronco starts to outsell the Wrangler, I could see changes being made. But the entire auto industry got into trouble when companies started making products that directly competed against themselves. I'm already concerned with the Bronco Sport & Escape being pretty much the same vehicle.
These are BOF vehicles and I doubt any if what you said is a huge deal. Also the prevailing thought is that Bronco is becoming its own sub-brand, meaning that there may well be room for a pickup in it. Oitfit it with a stick shift, disco, front and rear lockers, etc. and it'll separate itself from the desert running Raptor.

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The Gladiator is a big hit in a large due to looking like a Jeep.

A Bronco pickup would have the same appeal. My wife already said she'll get one if they produce them, just so it would match.

BroncoBilly17

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Tacoma is a great truck,
No, no it isn't. Especially if your VIN starts with the number 3.

Great trucks don't have plastic beds

BroncoBilly17

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
These are BOF vehicles and I doubt any if what you said is a huge deal. Also the prevailing thought is that Bronco is becoming its own sub-brand, meaning that there may well be room for a pickup in it. Oitfit it with a stick shift, disco, front and rear lockers, etc. and it'll separate itself from the desert running Raptor.
As someone with 8 years working at Ford and 5 at Toyota, I think I'll stick with my Engineering knowledge on what it takes to re-vamp a platform and what equipment needs to be re-designed.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As someone with 8 years working at Ford and 5 at Toyota, I think I'll stick with my Engineering knowledge on what it takes to re-vamp a platform and what equipment needs to be re-designed.
Point taken, and maybe even grudgingly accepted. This is a fan forum though, so that's a big maybe...

Edit: based on your experience, since these trucks all share the same platform anyways, would a Bronco pickup on the 2022 Ranger wheelbase be much work? That's the kind of thing I'm picturing instead of the Raptor. Close to the same truck but styled as a Bronco instead of a Ranger. And with a stick of course. I'd love to see a render of that.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 QX80 2021 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Gladiator is a big hit in a large due to looking like a Jeep.

A Bronco pickup would have the same appeal. My wife already said she'll get one if they produce them, just so it would match.
I am seeing Gladiators everywhere in Indiana they are doing quite well.

My wife and I have driven the new Bronco twice now and its decent but will also hold out for a truck model

RSalami

Badlands
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Bronco pickup? Gladiator shows what will happen... jl3
Sponsored