Sponsored

My personal new thinking with the long delay...

Andrew_EOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I gave my current car, Focus ST, a good clean out and bath today. Some damage was fixed. It really is running great (knock on wood). Up until today it was going to be a trade in. I've always had the thinking of, I'm one man, why do I need two cars?? But maybe with this extra long delay and continually adding money to the down payment, I just... keep it. I could still drive it most days to work. I could keep all those miles off the Bronco and keep it feeling newer longer. Make the Bronco my weekend fun vehicle. I've never even considered not having a trade in before, but I can save up the value of the ST as a trade in easy enough before I ever see my Bronco... any pros or cons that aren't obvious?
Sponsored

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I gave my current car, Focus ST, a good clean out and bath today. Some damage was fixed. It really is running great (knock on wood). Up until today it was going to be a trade in. I've always had the thinking of, I'm one man, why do I need two cars?? But maybe with this extra long delay and continually adding money to the down payment, I just... keep it. I could still drive it most days to work. I could keep all those miles off the Bronco and keep it feeling newer longer. Make the Bronco my weekend fun vehicle. I've never even considered not having a trade in before, but I can save up the value of the ST as a trade in easy enough before I ever see my Bronco... any pros or cons that aren't obvious?
Insurance on 2 vehicles isn't too horrible

Whiteboy_Mark

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry, 2016 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I always thought the same thing, until I had two cars. For me, it just gives me peace of mind. Lets say one breaks down, or needs work done, or is in the shop for aftermarket reasons, you always have a second car no matter what. You dont have to worry about rentals or loaner vehicles anymore. It also gives you options. I dont know how much you owe, or if its paid off, or what you paid, but ST's have depreciated so much at this point that i doubt the dealership would offer you anywhere near what you put into it. I say keep it and you can have a fun street car and a fun offroad car.

OP
OP
Andrew_EOD

Andrew_EOD

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
... have a fun street car and a fun offroad car.
This is exactly what I was thinking! And the ST gets like 29mpg on my daily 70 miles. It's paid off, and I still like driving it a lot...

Sponsored

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Replace Focus St with Subaru STi and that's me.
The longer the delay, the bigger my down payment will be.
It'll be the first time I've ever had two 4 wheeled vehicles at the same time.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A focus ST makes a damn fine track car, and there's a lot of racing and track days near you:

http://www.drivenasafl.com/

know what else? a tow dolly on a bronco with a focus ST will fall well below 3500 lbs, just sayin'

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Replace Focus St with Subaru STi and that's me.
The longer the delay, the bigger my down payment will be.
It'll be the first time I've ever had two 4 wheeled vehicles at the same time.
Trace your Sti with a WRX and that was me. I decided to sell though. The market for used prices changed my mind.

Whiteboy_Mark

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry, 2016 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is exactly what I was thinking! And the ST gets like 29mpg on my daily 70 miles. It's paid off, and I still like driving it a lot...
Exactly. Ive never had an "offroad vehicle" but i have had a two mustangs and the bronco is definitely going to be a different driving experience than a performance car. Better gas mileage, more fun (on the street), and its paid off. I might also be biased though because i love ST's but i would keep it and have the best of both worlds.

Sponsored

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It sounds like keeping it will be fairly economical. It is nice to have a backup when one goes in the shop. Completely different ride experience depending on your mood.

JAM

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My current daily driver is a manual 2014 Focus SE. I’ve averaged over 36 mpg with it over the life of the car (110k miles so far). To me the couple thousand I’d get by trading it in isn’t worth it. Im planning to keep it when I take delivery of a Bronco. It’s a shame Ford stopped selling these in the USA, you really can’t go wrong with the cheap cost/MPG combination the Focus offered.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Insurance on 2 vehicles isn't too horrible
I don't know, my current insurance company (Farmer's) quoted me almost $3k/year for my BL. But for my old Taco it's very cheap, so I guess if the Focus is low, then why not keep it. I'm keeping my Tacoma, it's 18 years old with basically zero repairs, until those start piling up it'll be in my driveway and I'll probably use it for store runs too, less chance of door dings and curious people crowding around my Bronco :-D

Have to get some more insurance quotes though....

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you enjoy the ST pavement performance, you will not like swapping to Bronco. Bronco is not meant to excel on pavement. It will be like driving a boat compared to the ST. Keep both if you can swing it.
Sponsored