Sponsored

Curious Why it Seems so Many People Want a Manual Trans?

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It’s entirely possible this will be the last gas car I buy, so the manual just exemplifies that for me.

compared to the 2.7 auto it is also almost 200 lbs less over the front axle, and a lot less stuff underneath to snag on things (plus no plastic transmission pan).

for the kind of off reading I do, the crawler gear should more than suffice, but if it wasn’t offered with the crawler I likely would be going auto.

tbh, I’m still torn on whether to go with a mansquatch or 2.7, but I’m leaning towards mansquatch (price being no small part there)
I drove them both last weekend. The 2.7 is a powerhouse but I’m way past the days of needing to get anywhere that fast. If I couldn’t get a manual, I’d do the 2.7 for sure. But……. 2.3 with a 7 speed paddle can’t be passed up at this point for me.
Sponsored

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its a very vocal minority. Even if I wanted a manual I wouldnt sacrifice the 2.7 to get it.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

for the kind of off reading I do, the crawler gear should more than suffice, but if it wasn’t offered with the crawler I likely would be going auto.
I guess I'm getting rusty on things, but my 4runner that I had 20 years ago had a stick, and another for putting it into 4WD lo/high. When in 4Low, in first gear, it was like a crawler, would only go about 5 mph. Wouldn't the Bronco be like that, even if they didn't gear the 1st so low? I mean, in 4Low, it's going to be like a 1 MPH gear!

gaspasm

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 f-150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

But didn’t we just learn tonight that you can’t use a manual transmission to drive off road (or in a parking lot).

The crap we did in that car and only passenger tires! Hmmmm, makes you wonder if society is getting soft. No seat belts either. But, hey, we did have vinyl seats and rubber flooring. The wash out part was due to rust but who’s keeping score?
Old blue was a TANK!! Could not stop it!! And we tried!!!

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All the smug people that think their choices are better and smarter are funny. To me getting a couple dozen more HP at the expense of a manual seems pretty silly. Or getting a bigger screen at the expense of the higher trim package, what's that $2,000 for 1.75" more screen per side? I'll reiterate what several said already: most of the smug people that say they're not buying a manual probably can't drive one. Their only way to be "cool" is to slam down the gas pedal and hang on. Reminds me of how I used to lose the sport bike guys on GSXR 750s in the mountains....on my BMW boxer R80! A manual requires higher ability from the driver, and they get more out of their vehicle. Simply put.

Sponsored

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This Bronco will be easy to learn on. The crawl gear is unstoppable. I’m not sure you can dump the clutch in C. I didn’t really try but seemed like no gas was even needed to go.
That Jetta had the hold hill assist. I thought that was cheating.

She was 16 when I got it. She drove that and two other manuals until she was 22. She's 25 now and has a CRV. We both agree that manuals are fun until you get into stop and go, commuter traffic.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its a very vocal minority. Even if I wanted a manual I wouldnt sacrifice the 2.7 to get it.
Man that makes me think, I'd be in a predicament if the manual was only on the 2.7, because I won't budge off the 2.3 or a manual. I'd have to punt for a later year and hope for the best.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Man that makes me think, I'd be in a predicament if the manual was only on the 2.7, because I won't budge off the 2.3 or a manual. I'd have to punt for a later year and hope for the best.
I’m in the similar boat. It has to be 2 doors (even though you can’t travel or vacation in one) and has to be a manual transmission (even though you can’t go off road in one). I’d probably give up the MT if not available in the 2 door but it would not be an easy decision.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

we currently have an auto and a manual car. wife and i both love driving the manual car. the fact that after the bronco, we would be looking at an EV. so why not get a manual as one last hurrah considering there are few vehicles with them nowadays.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

we currently have an auto and a manual car. wife and i both love driving the manual car. the fact that after the bronco, we would be looking at an EV. so why not get a manual as one last hurrah considering there are few vehicles with them nowadays.
Agreed. Everyone should get what they want and not throw rocks at the others. I don’t care if people want to get automatics and 4 doors. I just don’t want them or need them. But it really annoys me when people make nonsense comments when clearly they have no clue what they are talking about regarding others choices.

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I personally think it's a lot of dick swinging and mostly due to over compensation. We don't care about your angry 3"
:ROFLMAO:

I have an amazing Dual Clutch transmission on my 4C that I manually shift with the paddle shifters. Cant beat a 120ms upshift or 2 different levels of Launch control. It also rev matches on downshifts. If it had a manual transmission, it would not be as good. You simply can not do what this transmission does in a speed anywhere near as close.

I am also one of very few people to compete in Rock Crawling with a manual transmission.
Due to the fact that I only have 2 feet, I had to install a hand throttle so I could clutch and break with my feet, steer with my left hand and modulate the throttle when needed with my right hand. My Current Rock Crawler is a manual as well. I am working on setting up the hand throttle, but like everything else, bike parts are in short supply. Think Ebay is gonna be my savior for this.

As such, I understand that an automatic is an advantage off-road, but I will admit, it's cool being able to do what I do.

So I agree with those that say,
Get what you want, get what you are comfortable with. If you will be Rock Crawling on some difficult terrain, I do recommend the automatic.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me, it has less to do with control/engagement/whatever, and everything to do with TACTILITY. I just love interfacing with a machine via a crisp, tactile mechanism. It's why I always prefer a bolt or pump action rifle/shotgun to a semi-automatic, and why I use mechanical keyboards. I don't have cause to use either, but I think classic typewriters and sewing machines are a hoot to use. I have a Yeti tumbler with the 'mag-slider' lid and I probably flip that thing open/closed 1000 times a day.

My kids loved fidget spinners (and now are obsessed with 'Pop Its'); many humans just innately love tactility. I love shifting gears manually even if it had no benefits beyond giving me something to fidget with.

Last edited:

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did that a lot cheaper by leasing my daughter a stripped VW Jetta for $205 a month. This is yours. Learn to row the gears.
Leasing a Manual ($205) + Bronco payments does not equal cheap. 😂😂

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Curious why a manual is so important. I know, some people like stick shift trans, but why in a Bronco? Do you get a stick in all of your other cars and trucks? Not trying to start a stick vs auto debate (but a good discussion is fine), but I've seen so many comments about a manual I'm wonder what folks reasoning is.

Part of my question is that for almost ever there has been a perception that a manual is better off road. However, this perception is almost entirely folks who have little off road experience. Experience shows that an auto has many advantages over a stick off road. So, what the heck, why do so many folks want a stick Bronco?
the availability of a manual transmission is the reason many are even considering a bronco. some people, myself included actively seek vehicles with a manual transmission. if were not for the availability of the manual transmission, i would not even consider a bronco. i have a vehicle with an automatic. automatics are just not as fun to drive. pretty soon there will be automatic driving vehicles, which will be extremely popular with people who are looking for point A to B transportation, but for people who consider part of the experience getting to the destination, many will prefer the manual.

NotoriousBDP

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 WL74 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, what the heck, why do so many folks want a stick Bronco?
I've owned a mix of manuals (1977 VW Westfalia, 1976 Ford Bronco, 1986 VW Cabiolet, 1996 Land Rover Discovery, 1998 Nissan Patrol) and automatics (too many to list). Truth is I really miss the manual driving experience, which is my sole reason for getting one in this Bronco. Don't care whether one transmission is better than another off-road, on road, in traffic, etc. I just want one. YMMV, and IDGAF!
Sponsored

Last edited: